• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonB27

Reaction score
Tom, any updates on the opening date for the Beverly Hills store?

humeee

Reaction score
I think I've been seduced into splurging on my first pair of Aldens. But I'm a bit confused about how to figure out my size. I hear all this talk of different lasts and apparently for some lasts I need to size down from my ordinary size (10.5). But most websites don't list the last that of the shoe being sold. Ought I to just order a pair and see if they fit? What's the return etiquette on $500+ shoes? Considering that these shoes are obscenely expensive (I've never bought shoes over about $125 before), I'm a bit nervous about ordering them online.

Alternatively, I suppose I could attempt trying some on in person, but I don't know where they're sold near me (I live in Irvine, CA).

Any Alden groupies have recommendations?

cicero79

Reaction score
Been hunting around for any pictures of the Roy Boots. Do any of you own them, any opinions on them thus far? My size has been elusive for quite some time but I hear that they will do another issue soon. Be nice to get some feedback on it as I really dig the chrome leather and plain toe w/ an alternative to leather sole.

Dexter_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by humeee
I think I've been seduced into splurging on my first pair of Aldens. But I'm a bit confused about how to figure out my size. I hear all this talk of different lasts and apparently for some lasts I need to size down from my ordinary size (10.5). But most websites don't list the last that of the shoe being sold. Ought I to just order a pair and see if they fit? What's the return etiquette on $500+ shoes? Considering that these shoes are obscenely expensive (I've never bought shoes over about $125 before), I'm a bit nervous about ordering them online.

Alternatively, I suppose I could attempt trying some on in person, but I don't know where they're sold near me (I live in Irvine, CA).

Any Alden groupies have recommendations?

Maybe go to a decent shoe store and get your foot measured on a brannock device to get your true size and width.

From there you can check - http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cfm/fitting.htm for some ideas on how the different lasts will fit you.

Most of the Alden stockists mentioned in this thread would be more than willing to work with you on getting the right size.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dexter_
Maybe go to a decent shoe store and get your foot measured on a brannock device to get your true size and width.

From there you can check - http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cfm/fitting.htm for some ideas on how the different lasts will fit you.

Most of the Alden stockists mentioned in this thread would be more than willing to work with you on getting the right size.

+1 Listen to Dexter_

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikesduc
Okay, I've got an idea for a make-up and wanted to see what you all thought. Basically the Plaza wingtip boot in #8 with the following features:

1. Single leather oak sole
2. Close heel welt
3. Blind eyelets all the way up
4.Pinking
5. No punching in the leather. Like the Vass austerity brogue.

Opinions?

Alden doesn't have that pattern unfortunately. I love the austerity.

Originally Posted by JonB27
Tom, any updates on the opening date for the Beverly Hills store?

Looking to soft open first week of May.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
Looking to soft open first week of May.
Ahhhhh....I see you are moving to http://www.lsfootwear.com/ in preparation.

Also I know several people were looking for a #8 shell boot on something sleeker than the Barrie last. Looks like Tom has them on the Plaza last now.
smile.gif

plptb1.jpg

http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/201...za-dress-boot/

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good pictures of the Roy Boot have proven to be impossible to find in the wild. They're like Bigfoot--the few pics that have emerged are grainy and nondescript. I'm still not convinced they exist.

Happy hunting.

Originally Posted by cicero79
Been hunting around for any pictures of the Roy Boots.

mikesduc

Reaction score
LeatherSOUL;3064105 said:
Alden doesn't have that pattern unfortunately. I love the austerity.

Hi Tom, why would they need a pattern ? Couldn't they just cut the pattern and then not do the hole punching? Not being contrary, just curious. Mike

I am truly saddened by this news BTW.

rolling green

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
Good pictures of the Roy Boot have proven to be impossible to find in the wild. They're like Bigfoot--the few pics that have emerged are grainy and nondescript. I'm still not convinced they exist.

Happy hunting.

will throw up pics as soon as mine arrive. Been waiting for ages for the 2nd drop. If you check some of context's pics you can see a model wearing them with various pants.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikesduc
Hi Tom, why would they need a pattern ? Couldn't they just cut the pattern and then not do the hole punching? Not being contrary, just curious. Mike

I am truly saddened by this news BTW.

Their wingtip cutting patterns all have the pinking on them. Alden isn't set up like a smaller shoemaker who can easily change patterns.

mikesduc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
Their wingtip cutting patterns all have the pinking on them. Alden isn't set up like a smaller shoemaker who can easily change patterns.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. Any idea on the next run of the Plaza Wingtip?

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen the context models wearing them w/their Wings & Horns gear and they look nice. But the context site isn't 'the wild' and we're not getting the details and close-up's and, well, first person analysis that can be found for many other shoes on this site.

Looking forward to your pics when the boots arrive.

Originally Posted by rolling green
will throw up pics as soon as mine arrive. Been waiting for ages for the 2nd drop. If you check some of context's pics you can see a model wearing them with various pants.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TasselsHongKong
We kicked off the Alden 125th Anniversary Celebration by launching the Ravello Shell Cordovan "Hunting Boot" which sold out within a week.

IMG_6311-John.JPG

Breathtaking. I need a pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads