• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I use the Alden Restoration?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
Upper is in OK condition but inside
eek.gif

Yeah inside is torn up - but nothing gross, no odors, thank god. I want them to pay specific attention to the insides.

Im really excited to turn these back to their original gloriousness.

Anyone have an idea of their deets?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Killer deal at $4. Not as killer a deal at $150.

Fully restored with a sparkling new sole? Still a killer deal at $150.

Personally I would opt for a commando double leather sole
devil.gif

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Fully restored with a sparkling new sole? Still a killer deal at $150.

Personally I would opt for a commando double leather sole
devil.gif

I agree, although I did not pay $4, he quoted the OPs thread that I revived. Im $100 in em, so I would be in for $250 (if $150 for the refresh is accurate)... but I think I love them, so i think its worth it.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by painfree
true...I could flip them, though I already disclosed I bought them for 4 bucks...so I am not going to sell them for extreme profit.

Originally Posted by AlanC

That doesn't matter. Market price has no relation to your price.

QFT

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Heres a few pics - you think they can be made gorgeous again?

DSC02324.jpg

DSC02327.jpg

DSC02331.jpg

DSC02332.jpg

imo, they do not need a full service.

the heel leather is a 10 buck thing at any cobbler and you're done. especially, when there's no fitting issue.

they are already gorgeous.

BBC

Reaction score
I just picked up my first pair of pre-owned Aldens in shell cordo. I love them, but I want to make them as fresh as possible... what does the Alden restoration service entail? (Price for new soles, sock liners, laces etc) and what is the approx turnaround time?

I looked on the website, but wanted to poal the field of anyone who has done it before.

An Alden restoration (I recently got a pair back) takes about 6-7 weeks after they receive the shoes (go to their website and you'll find a link for how to ship the shoes for free). They will replace the soles, often redye the leather uppers to an even color (unless you ask them not to), fix any loose stitching, and use a piece of scrap leather to cover the interior of the damaged heel (mine had the same problem). Alden will NOT replace the sock liners since they are an integral part of the shoes and if separated from the uppers the shoe would be destroyed, but they will replace the heel pad.

For the $145 price, you'll get the full recraft, a pair of flannel shoe bags, a pair of Alden shoe trees, and a correct original box with your model and size stamped on the outside (rather amazing).

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
I have a pair of Shell LHS that I just got back from Alden. I will post a pic this afternoon.

Looking forward to it... now I dont know if I should just attempt a fixer/upper at the local cobbler which will take 1 week tops first....
confused.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looking forward to it... now I dont know if I should just attempt a fixer/upper at the local cobbler which will take 1 week tops first....
confused.gif

Looking forward to seeing pics after the restoration.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads