• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I use the Alden Restoration?

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course new alden shell shoes will cost significantly more than the cost of restoration. The OP has thrifted a nice pair of used Aldens in the wrong size. I'm suggesting he sell them and put that money toward a nice pair of used Aldens in the correct size. Essentially an exchange, which may save him the cost of restoration and relasting.

#8 shell is not rare and he could probably find a pair on ebay if he's patient.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
Of course new alden shell shoes will cost significantly more than the cost of restoration. The OP has thrifted a nice pair of used Aldens in the wrong size. I'm suggesting he sell them and put that money toward a nice pair of used Aldens in the correct size. Essentially an exchange, which may save him the cost of restoration and relasting.

#8 shell is not rare and he could probably find a pair on ebay if he's patient.

Yeah, if the shoes do not fit it is not a deal. $4.00 = flip em on eBay and use the money toward a pair that fit.

painfree

Reaction score
true...I could flip them, though I already disclosed I bought them for 4 bucks...so I am not going to sell them for extreme profit. They are not that large. they fit quite well with a smartwool sock. The barrie last also lends itself well to being a little large as it is not sleek.

With the info from alden that they can tighten them up a bit 145+4=149 for essentially new, albiet broken-in, LWBs is pretty hard to pass up. (Alden includes shipping costs, trees, new box and bags in the cost of restoration).

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by painfree
true...I could flip them, though I already disclosed I bought them for 4 bucks...so I am not going to sell them for extreme profit. They are not that large. they fit quite well with a smartwool sock. The barrie last also lends itself well to being a little large as it is not sleek.

With the info from alden that they can tighten them up a bit 145+4=149 for essentially new, albiet broken-in, LWBs is pretty hard to pass up. (Alden includes shipping costs, trees, new box and bags in the cost of restoration).

Just put them on eBay. Then you don't have to worry about feeling guilty about flipping them. Or, I will buy them.
devil.gif
devil.gif
devil.gif

painfree

Reaction score
I am a 9D, but weirdly even on the Barrie, the 9D is the shoe that fits the best (I do not have to size down how it is commonly done with the barrie last).

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just picked up my first pair of pre-owned Aldens in shell cordo. I love them, but I want to make them as fresh as possible... what does the Alden restoration service entail? (Price for new soles, sock liners, laces etc) and what is the approx turnaround time?

I looked on the website, but wanted to poal the field of anyone who has done it before.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I just picked up my first pair of pre-owned Aldens in shell cordo. I love them, but I want to make them as fresh as possible... what does the Alden restoration service entail? (Price for new soles, sock liners, laces etc) and what is the approx turnaround time?

I looked on the website, but wanted to poal the field of anyone who has done it before.

I don't buy used shoes but if I did,I would definitely use the restoration. They also polish the uppers so they will look pretty good. I am not sure if they change the foot cork, it would be unfortunate if they don't change as used shoes take the foot shape of the owner and won't conform to your feet.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
I don't buy used shoes but if I did,I would definitely use the restoration. They also polish the uppers so they will look pretty good. I am not sure if they change the foot cork, it would be unfortunate if they don't change as used shoes take the foot shape of the owner and won't conform to your feet.

I just emailed them and am waiting for a reply... actually the shoes are a perfect fit for me, variances and all. I really lucked out with these (thanks theplunger) but I was curious how much I was looking at and if previous customers were satisfied.

Its my first pair of shells...
inlove.gif
I looked on the site and could not find them though...I guess they were a discontinued model?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Alden Restoration is very good, and is a particularly good value for shell.

Originally Posted by painfree
true...I could flip them, though I already disclosed I bought them for 4 bucks...so I am not going to sell them for extreme profit. They are not that large.

That doesn't matter. Market price has no relation to your price.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Upper is in OK condition but inside
eek.gif

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
^The heel pad will be removed and replaced. They will put a leather covering over the wear through at the heel cup.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
^The heel pad will be removed and replaced. They will put a leather covering over the wear through at the heel cup.

I am glad those can be salvaged,I haven't used Alden restoration yet,I probably need another 5-7 years to get to that point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics