• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Shoes Squeak: Common Projects

Kvc06

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jokerman
I had the same problem with my patent Leather YSL sneakers and tried everything and nothing worked. They just sit in my closet collecting dust.

Mine too it was a very rubbery sounding loud squeak, I sold them though

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
Can you tell where it's coming from along the tongue? Can you cut up and put one of those white pads people put in shoes to make the instep tighter where the friction is occurring? Or is there not enough room in between the tongue and what it's rubbing on?

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My CP's squeak too, although it has never been loud enough to annoy me. While CP's may look nice, I feel their functional design is pretty weak-- they're not the most comfortable nor do they have the best durability.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stole a pair of CP's not long ago and nobody's squeaked.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdsmitty88
"Probable cause is friction b/w the leather, try conditioning with some leather treatment and I'm sure it will go away."

Do you know of any treatment that is white sneaker safe that i can pick up at a drug store?

try Chelsea Leather Food (clear)

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
I stole a pair of CP's not long ago and nobody's squeaked.

lol

gearhead

Reaction score
i've had a pair of mid achilles and they squeaked on me, i since sold them though and not because of that reason. i conditioned them with mink oil and it didn't help the squeaking, i was never really annoyed with it since it didn't squeak that bad. I doubt you can really do anything to make it go away. Just wear em in noisy environments.

bdsmitty88

Reaction score
"try Chelsea Leather Food (clear)" i have some chelsea leather food that i condition my wolverines with. **** is awesome, but it is a yellow color so i don't think it is the clear you refer to.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^bro if you click quote you won't have to copy paste people's posts

bdsmitty88

Reaction score
"Can you tell where it's coming from along the tongue? Can you cut up and put one of those white pads people put in shoes to make the instep tighter where the friction is occurring? Or is there not enough room in between the tongue and what it's rubbing on?"

The squeak comes from the from the tongue rubbing the high side of the shoe right where the eyelets are.

Anyone know if olive oil stains....i assume it probably would.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdsmitty88
"try Chelsea Leather Food (clear)" i have some chelsea leather food that i condition my wolverines with. **** is awesome, but it is a yellow color so i don't think it is the clear you refer to.

it's not yellow when you rub into the leather. i use it on white kangaroo leather all the time

HolySmoke

Reaction score
Hopefully nobody minds the necro, but this is the first result that comes up when searching "common projects squeak" so thought I'd share. Just bought a pair of white Achilles lows and they were squeaking so loudly, but I put some baby powder on the tongue and it's completely gone. Hopefully this info helps some future CP owners.

beboppin

Reaction score
Is baby powder a permanent solution or do you have to reapply frequently?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
All kinds of classic posters in this threak.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads