• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Creasing has more to do with the exact fit of the foot than the last, but I agree it's odd if a "lasted" tree isn't a great fit. My MTO (with lasted trees) and bespoke Cleverley's don't have that issue.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Creasing has more to do with the exact fit of the foot than the last, but I agree it's odd if a "lasted" tree isn't a great fit. My MTO (with lasted trees) and bespoke Cleverley's don't have that issue.

correct.

...and as we know not only as of yet today a long distance or a rtw-operation is hard to press to deliver accurate results.

heads up harrydog.

Groover

Reaction score
Had a nice surprise today...

These:

shell2.jpg

shell1.jpg

Have become these:

Alfred Sargent Stowe
Whiskey Shell MTO
99F Last

StoweWC1.jpg

StoweWC2.jpg

StoweWC3.jpg

StoweWC4.jpg

StoweWC5.jpg

StoweWC6.jpg

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Very nice, love the waist bevelling

Mind sharing how much they cost you ?

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant

Agreedsies, creasing is a function of wear, and shoe trees don't remove it. Trees mainly prevent shinkage and curling, which can reduce the appearance of creasing.

In my opinion, the creases on the G&G Hayes Vintage Rioja are more a product of the nature of the leather than the tree fit. I have the same shoe, and creases are more visibly evident than some of my EGs, C&Js, etc. However you have creases all over the place, you must have an unusual gait or some other unusual factors to cause that much creasing.

Vox Populi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Harrydog
I have the same shoe with similar results.

I am surprised overall how poorly some of the lasted trees I have fit. When I run my hand over the vamp where the shoe flexes, I can see that the fit is not particularly snug at all. In fact, there is often quite a bit of play or looseness there. I have found this to be the case with EG trees and the G&G trees I have. That might explain:

img0883m.jpg

This has soured me on purchasing any G&G with a clean, smooth vamp and toe. I'd do a captoe or a wingtip because any creasing would standout less with the captoe or wingtip.

On the other hand:

img0885y.jpg

The nearer shoe is the EG Telford; the further is a Grenson for Paul Stuart.

The EG tree does not fit very snugly. However, the shoe was really killing me across my foot where it flexed, so I cut up a felt tongue pad and glued it across the affected region. Result is a nice fit, no blisters. Whether that contributed to the snugger fit on the trees and the lack of creasing, I am not sure. The Grenson did not come with lasted trees, but the trees sold by Paul Stuart fit very snugly across the vamp. Little if any creasing has resulted. I condition the leather before wearing and regularly thereafter. I could post more pics (I have lots of shoes). We could do a thread just on creasing and not creasing.
wink.gif

I had a minor fitting issue with my EG's, which I think may be a smidgen too small. No rubbing or blisters though.

When you pop your EG shoes on does the leather at the side bow out slightly? It could be to do with the shape of my foot (not suited to the 202 last), though I'm ok with other maker's shoes and the Galway on the 64 last is actually a great fit in the same size - 10 E.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Creasing has less to do with lasts, trees, or fit than you think. It's just a property of the piece of leather which was made into that shoe. Practically random

I have a pair of second-hand Alden 911 which are highly aged, and have no creasing at all.

Harrydog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie
Agreedsies, creasing is a function of wear, and shoe trees don't remove it. Trees mainly prevent shinkage and curling, which can reduce the appearance of creasing.

In my opinion, the creases on the G&G Hayes Vintage Rioja are more a product of the nature of the leather than the tree fit. I have the same shoe, and creases are more visibly evident than some of my EGs, C&Js, etc. However you have creases all over the place, you must have an unusual gait or some other unusual factors to cause that much creasing.

Since it hasn't happened to anywhere near that extent with other shoes, ! am chalking it up to the way the tg73 last fits (or doesn't fit) my foot.

The good news is that it is less noticeable right after I polish them. I usually polish them everytime I wear them.

artoftime

Reaction score
Groover;3061485 said:

These:

shell2.jpg

shell1.jpg

Have become these:

Alfred Sargent Stowe
Whiskey Shell MTO
99F Last

StoweWC1.jpg

StoweWC2.jpg

I really can't get into the design of split toe shoes, but these are just gorgeous. The beveling is unexpected and besutiful. kudos

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Groover

These:

StoweWC6.jpg

That shoe ruined.
Bevel and close cut waist not good for casual shoe.
Me not think shell cordovan good for that shoe.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Son Of Saphir
That shoe ruined.

lurker[1].gif

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not crazy about that split toe design either. The top panel looks too flat - the shape doesn't seem as organic as it should. I could see that it might mould to the foot with some wear and maybe then that issue would go away.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Son Of Saphir
That shoe ruined.

correct

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads