• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sould I buy H&M suit?

cubcadet12

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new suit ,a slim fitting suit, and my budget is very tiny. I heard H&M makes perfect suits for skinny people like me. I'm 6'5" and 175 and my budget is about $200 (poor college kid). The only complaint I've heard with H&M's suits is the quality, but I'd much rather have a nice fitting suit with bad quality rather than a high quality suit that fits like a paper bag.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
their suits will be too short for you...

chrisb0109

Reaction score
The length may be an issue. Try one on and see. Perhaps they will have a long.

While the quality is certainly not up to par with other brands seen on this forum, I have never had a problem with H&M falling apart.

cubcadet12

Reaction score
If the length is a problem would there be any other brands with a comparable price and style?

SC Widders

Reaction score
I will also say that H&M's quality isn't up to par with other brands which are avalible within the same price range. I've found their suits, like most of their cloths, to have fitment issues. Sizes may be irregular, but after you have your suit cleaned, you may begin to notice imperfections forming in the suit.

Personally, I go to K&G Mens Wearhouse. The one in my area had a 2 for 1 deal on suits. For instance if one suit is $100 or $150, then you find another suit which is the same price and you've got yourself 2 suits for a reasonable price. Of course their is the hemming and alterations which you pay for, but that usually doesn't exeed $33 per suit. I speak highly of them because the quality of their suits are amazing. My dad has purchased all of his suits from them for the past 12 years and they are holding up nicely. See if there's one in your area, because they have all types of brands (from Armani to Calvin Klein and many more) which are reasonably priced. Good luck with purchasing your suit.

chrisb0109

Reaction score
If he is interested in the gut of H$M, I doubt K&G will fulfill the need. Their offerings tend to be or the larger variety.

Biggen

Reaction score
At least in Sweden H&M offer some of their models in long sizes, although the selection isn't that great. I'm 6'4 and still needed to shorten sleeves and pants.

SC Widders

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisb0109
If he is interested in the gut of H$M, I doubt K&G will fulfill the need. Their offerings tend to be or the larger variety.

I'm just saying why pay the same price for a low quality suit when you can have one (which there are more choices in suits and fitting also) which will last a lifetime. Just a sugguestion however.

cubcadet12

Reaction score
The first suit I bought which is still the one I have now came from K&G and it may be only my personal experience but the quality wasn't that good as it is. Also I'm looking for a slim suit and i'm not sure if K&G would have that, but I can check it out. Also the sales people I had to deal with there were aweful they put me in a really large 3 button suit where the shoulders don't fit right and it's way too long, makes me look droopy. But at the time of the purchase I didn't know any better.

and that was after being tailored

jo-fu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SC Widders
I will also say that H&M's quality isn't up to par with other brands which are avalible within the same price range. I've found their suits, like most of their cloths, to have fitment issues. Sizes may be irregular, but after you have your suit cleaned, you may begin to notice imperfections forming in the suit.

Personally, I go to K&G Mens Wearhouse. The one in my area had a 2 for 1 deal on suits. For instance if one suit is $100 or $150, then you find another suit which is the same price and you've got yourself 2 suits for a reasonable price. Of course their is the hemming and alterations which you pay for, but that usually doesn't exeed $33 per suit. I speak highly of them because the quality of their suits are amazing. My dad has purchased all of his suits from them for the past 12 years and they are holding up nicely. See if there's one in your area, because they have all types of brands (from Armani to Calvin Klein and many more) which are reasonably priced. Good luck with purchasing your suit.

Don't go near men's wearhouse. Or trust anything they say. At your price point the H&M might be your best bet if you want something slim and young looking, provided its long enough (I like my jackets to come down to the highest thumb knuckle (http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=71584&page=3)

Option B would be to hunt through discount stores (ross, filenes, etc) for something that fits your shoulders and then get it tailored (waist, jacket length, sleeves, etc)

mouseandcat

Reaction score
i have a zara brown cotton.....worked out fine....i got good fit in the shoulders (and length of jacket) and took it to the tailor to put some shape into it.......i got mine on sale, so even cheaper, ~120.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought an H&M suit a year ago but ended up taking it back. Anyways, it cost more than $200. I think it came to be about @280, so just a heads up. Also you might want to try Zara.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think US H&M typically has a long size run (at least not that I have seen).

I bought a jacket from one of their linen suits a year ago and its a bit of a stretch. I'm 6'1.5 and I can get away with wearing a 40-42R most of the time due to my leg vs. torso length...at 6'5, I'd imagine you gotta have stubby arms and a tiny torso to get the normal H&M stuff to fit.

Jackets are slim though...too slim for me really without either getting it tailored (not going to do too much tailoring on a jacket that cost that little) or going up a size and having the chest fit but losing the slimness. Since it was a more casual linen jacket, I just bought the one that had the most potential but didn't plan on getting the problem spots tailored.

philou

Reaction score
i wouldn't buy h&m suits right now. in germany they cost about 179 euro, that sounds interesting, but i really do not like the fit. they are very modern (you know, the short-jacket-thing). obviously, slimfit is not equal slimfit..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics