• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grand Seiko

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by entrero
Is it the Spring-drive Seiko? I would avoid those, an automatic movement with a micro chip...

No and the spring drive is awesome.

Originally Posted by weilian
What is the difference between a normal automatic Seiko vs a GS which would command such a price jump?

Normal Seiko equals great workhorse movement, solid build and materials. Grand Seiko equals a watch that is more "in-house" than any of the Swiss, as much, if not more, hand finishing than most of the Swiss (not in Lange's/PP league, but who is) and build/materials which are top of the line. They both tell the same time so from that perspective, no watch should cost more than a couple of dollars.

weilian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
No and the spring drive is awesome. Normal Seiko equals great workhorse movement, solid build and materials. Grand Seiko equals a watch that is more "in-house" than any of the Swiss, as much, if not more, hand finishing than most of the Swiss (not in Lange's/PP league, but who is) and build/materials which are top of the line. They both tell the same time so from that perspective, no watch should cost more than a couple of dollars.
The perspective I was actually looking at it from was with the higher grade materials, better finishing, more hand work does not equal 20 times the watch. As with some(many) Swiss brands who take an ETA and refinish it or tweak it a bit and ask for a ridiculous price. Just seems ridiculous to me. The GS is a beautiful watch, I wouldn't mind having one but at a huge discount. I'm a cheap bastard.

zoorado

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Normal Seiko equals great workhorse movement, solid build and materials. Grand Seiko equals a watch that is more "in-house" than any of the Swiss, as much, if not more, hand finishing than most of the Swiss (not in Lange's/PP league, but who is) and build/materials which are top of the line. They both tell the same time so from that perspective, no watch should cost more than a couple of dollars.

The finishing on GS seems to be top-grade. It's close if not on par with PP/VC/AP, from what I can remember. For something better than the best Swiss firms, you should be looking at the Credor masterpieces. Those are finished to Dufour/Voutilainen standards.

Brennus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nozorro
Great watches. What about servicing? Do you have to sendt it to Japan?

No,

There is a Seiko center in Amsterdam (where i live). But to be honest they then send it to japan for servicing..

Originally Posted by entrero
Is it the Spring-drive Seiko? I would avoid those, an automatic movement with a micro chip...

No it is a regular automatic. I was intrigued by the Spring Drives but they are significantly thicker and a bit bigger. The size of the regular GS automatic is just right for my taste.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brennus
After extensive forum and shop trolling I bought a Grand Seiko a few weeks ago (SBGL001J).

One of the things i really like about it is the understatement. In my environment people tend to frown upon flashy and expensive things. A rolex would be a sure sign i am trying to be a pimp, feel like i am better then they are or want to show i have more money then them.

Nobody except some WIS knows what this costs. When my colleagues ask me I tell them it cost me €449,- and they usually respond with something like:"wow, so much for a seiko?!".
I usually laugh a bit inside knowing it costs exactly ten times what i told them..

Granted i should not let 'them' dictate what i buy or not, but to be honest that negative feeling about a rolex or otherwise noticably expensive accessory has been imbedded in me as well (through cultural indoctrination)
facepalm.gif

anyway, no real question or anything here, just wanted to share this story and show off a bit
blush.gif

DSCN4451.jpg

DSCN4450a.jpg

Magnificent watch. Well done on such a great purchase.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great watch (I'm a GS/spring drive fan as well) Now you just need to VW Phaeton to go with it.
smile.gif

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful timepiece. It's nice to be reminded again what happens when Seiko decides to build the best possible watch of a particular type, irrespective of cost.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice

flanker2000fr

Reaction score
Absolutely fantastic watch.

GS are things of beauty. At their price point, even if not discounted, they have got a better finish than any brand I know, and that includes Rolex.

I used to own this model:

SBGM001v14.jpg

Before that, I owned a Rolex Explorer II, which is very similar, and the GS easily beat it when it came down to finish. The attention to details is amazing.

I eventually sold it because, for a sportswatch, the finish was almost too good. The polishing was so amazing that it made the watch a bit too shiny, especially the hands and indexes. That, and the fact that there was no lume, eventually made me part with it. But I would have no hesitation to buy another GS in the future.

Boris

Brennus

Reaction score
Wow,

a lot more replies then I anticipated. Going trough the TZ forums it seemed like there were only a hand few of people who actually liked the GS..

Thanks for the kind words and show of support for Seiko in general
smile.gif

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grand Seiko is nice, but other seiko are not bad and much cheaper.

DSCN3838.jpg

I got the left one for less than 1/10 price of the right, a GS.
And it is more accurate than my Rolex, about +/- 5s/day.

GucciMonster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brennus
After extensive forum and shop trolling I bought a Grand Seiko a few weeks ago (SBGL001J).

DSCN4450a.jpg

I've been considering purchasing a Seiko (for a helluvalotless) and will likely buy in the next month or so.

... If GS is not incredible... I don't know what is

congrats.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics