• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grand Seiko

Brennus

Reaction score
After extensive forum and shop trolling I bought a Grand Seiko a few weeks ago (SBGL001J).

One of the things i really like about it is the understatement. In my environment people tend to frown upon flashy and expensive things. A rolex would be a sure sign i am trying to be a pimp, feel like i am better then they are or want to show i have more money then them.

Nobody except some WIS knows what this costs. When my colleagues ask me I tell them it cost me €449,- and they usually respond with something like:"wow, so much for a seiko?!".
I usually laugh a bit inside knowing it costs exactly ten times what i told them..

Granted i should not let 'them' dictate what i buy or not, but to be honest that negative feeling about a rolex or otherwise noticably expensive accessory has been imbedded in me as well (through cultural indoctrination)
facepalm.gif

anyway, no real question or anything here, just wanted to share this story and show off a bit
blush.gif

DSCN4451.jpg

DSCN4450a.jpg

Sperry

Reaction score
Fantastic watch!

I happened upon the line a year ago, and became obsessed. Constantly tracking the [limited] North American used market and such.

I'll probably start off with a smaller quartz Grand Seiko, but the mechanical watches are ultimate.

Omega Man

Reaction score
Nice watch. Not many except a watch connoisseur would know how much you paid and how well these were made. I would take a Grand Seiko over many different Rolex models any time of the day. Enjoy wearing it.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you would really enjoy wearing them knowing that only you and the rare few appreciate how well made they are. I was looking at the spring drive line myself.

goldknots

Reaction score
Question along these lines, I recently have been finding out more about Orient and their Star line. Are these a quality piece as well? I know Seiko has a controlling stake in them and they share a lot of resources but don't know much beyond that. Is it better to just hold out for a Seiko?

CutandSew

Reaction score
Lovely watch. No need to feel embarrassed for being humble. There's nothing wrong with appreciating it for what it is without the need to boast to everyone how amazing or expensive Grand Seikos are.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by goldknots
Question along these lines, I recently have been finding out more about Orient and their Star line. Are these a quality piece as well? I know Seiko has a controlling stake in them and they share a lot of resources but don't know much beyond that. Is it better to just hold out for a Seiko?

orient is in the Times price range, quality wise probably the same, which means a good value for the money. orient is auto and has different designs, some of them interesting so in that sense its a bit better than timex. Seiko's are cheap enough where you can get a high quality diver/dress watch for $200 or under. Grand Seiko's are over $5K and they are worth it. I need to kop a Marine Master.

nozorro

Reaction score
Great watches. What about servicing? Do you have to sendt it to Japan?

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A great watch that I would love to own, but never would buy unless deeply discounted. I do have a lovely Asian market only Seiko power reserve calendar that is incredibly well made, well decorated and keeps excellent time. I have also been lusting for a Spring Drive power reserve. But, I cannot justify the prices.

Enjoy it, it is a beaut.

Mike

zoorado

Reaction score
Great watch at an amazing price. I would say even at retail price, Grand Seikos are a steal.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A beautiful timepiece!
inlove.gif

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
we were just discussing this tonight.. just saying..

all good..

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it the Spring-drive Seiko? I would avoid those, an automatic movement with a micro chip...

weilian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
orient is in the Times price range, quality wise probably the same, which means a good value for the money. orient is auto and has different designs, some of them interesting so in that sense its a bit better than timex. Seiko's are cheap enough where you can get a high quality diver/dress watch for $200 or under. Grand Seiko's are over $5K and they are worth it. I need to kop a Marine Master.

What is the difference between a normal automatic Seiko vs a GS which would command such a price jump?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads