• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hmm, navy suede captoes from a UK store. 445gbp tho.
020Q52Z10009_1.jpg

http://www.brownsfashion.com/product...0Q52Z10009.htm

enigma77

Reaction score

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the best price the forum has found on these?
Alden Men's Indy Boot High Top Blucher Workboot

pvc-ald-mxsb-40514h_ald_m_indy_boot_high_top_blucher_workboot.html

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
What is the best price the forum has found on these?
Alden Men's Indy Boot High Top Blucher Workboot

pvc-ald-mxsb-40514h_ald_m_indy_boot_high_top_blucher_workboot.html

there really isn't a whole lot of price shopping with Alden. you may get a sale every once in a while, but retail prices are generally consistent and stuck to. exceptions being special make ups which are above basic model prices

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TasselsHongKong

Reaction score
We kicked off the Alden 125th Anniversary Celebration by launching the Ravello Shell Cordovan "Hunting Boot" which sold out within a week.
IMG_6311-John.JPG
To continue the Alden 125th Anniversary Celebration, this month, we are launching the #8 Scotch Grain Shell Cordovan Long Wing.
IMG_6556.JPG
In addition to our regular Alden MTOs, stay tuned for more Alden 125th Anniversary MTOs in 2010.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skyline
How's Obenauf's Oil/LP for the Indy boot in Chromoexcel? Do the above brands you mentioned not darken the leather at all?

Originally Posted by enigma77
Wait, question. Why would you want to change the color of the Chromexcel? It's perfect.

If you do want to change the colors, then those brands are probably best (Obenauf's will darken it significantly). In my experience, a neutral boot cream or cleaner will clean up Indy Chromexcel very nicely. Saphir Renovateur is a favorite; expensive for sure but it'll do the best job, and it should smooth over scuffs and discolored spots since Chromexcel is so thoroughly tanned and is also a pull-up leather.

Just saw this, I agree with everything enigma wrote above..

enigma77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Just saw this, I agree with everything enigma wrote above..
Thanks gnatty8. To follow up on that, here's how I clean/condition/dress my Indys: 1x coat Saphir Renovateur 1x coat Alden neutral boot cream 1x very light coat Saphir Renovateur 1x coat (if necessary) Montana Pitch-Blend Brush at end The repeat Renovateur is probably unnecessary. I just love the way it smells and the very light sheen it leaves on the boot. You could probably cut out the first two steps and just use Renovateur and (if necessary) Pitch-Blend and be fine. I do this, or some variant, about once every two weeks, and make sure to brush and tree the shoes every time I wear them. By the way I'm looking for a place to get Renovateur online. Anyone know of any place that's based in the U.S. that will sell it online? The Google has only turned up places in Europe that do, and that means expensive shipping charges...

abenner

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edubs01
Did anybody preorder the Alden Indy Brown Chromexcel boots from North River Outfitters? Has anybody received them yet? Their site says that they have started shipping.

Anybody heard anymore on these or received them from NRO? I ordered a little over a month ago, when they said it would be three weeks... Still waiting for a response to my email to customer service.

enigma77

Reaction score

Scrounger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by abenner
Anybody heard anymore on these or received them from NRO? I ordered a little over a month ago, when they said it would be three weeks... Still waiting for a response to my email to customer service.

I did the same at about the same time. My first e-mail to customer service last week went unanswered. I sent a second on Friday suggesting I might cancel the order. This got a response - said Alden was closed for the weekend but they'd get back to me Monday. Nothing further yet.

Since they priced the chromexcel at the same price as the other leathers, I suspect someone made a mistake - but they're still advertising them. I'm still debating whether to cancel since they required upfront payment and I don't want too much time to pass.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoemart has a few pairs of 405 seconds in my size range - might be worth a look for the bargain hunters (although the discount isn't much).

Where can I get Saphir Renovateur? Franco's always seems sold out.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by enigma77
How do you see the range of seconds Shoemart has? I've heard tell of these mythical seconds but have never seen them for myself...

They send out an email listing all the seconds in a given size. They seem to do this about once a month. And you have to call in to order. I've ordered regular stock items a few times from them and the seconds emails for both sizes I've ordered just started showing up.

I also just got a postcard from them advertising $50 off cordovan and $30 off calf. This was for firsts.
There's no code or anything so you have to call in your order.

mikesduc

Reaction score
Okay, I've got an idea for a make-up and wanted to see what you all thought. Basically the Plaza wingtip boot in #8 with the following features:

1. Single leather oak sole
2. Close heel welt
3. Blind eyelets all the way up
4.Pinking
5. No punching in the leather. Like the Vass austerity brogue.

Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads