• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigma77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skyline
How's Obenauf's Oil/LP for the Indy boot in Chromoexcel? Do the above brands you mentioned not darken the leather at all?

Wait, question. Why would you want to change the color of the Chromexcel? It's perfect.

If you do want to change the colors, then those brands are probably best (Obenauf's will darken it significantly). In my experience, a neutral boot cream or cleaner will clean up Indy Chromexcel very nicely. Saphir Renovateur is a favorite; expensive for sure but it'll do the best job, and it should smooth over scuffs and discolored spots since Chromexcel is so thoroughly tanned and is also a pull-up leather.

enigma77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enigma77
OK I actually do have a question here (Chromexcel-related, actually). I have a pair of 403s -- Chromexcel Indy Boots -- and am having a bizarre problem with the tongue on the left boot.

The problem is this: about 60 seconds after walking around in the boot, the tongue falls to the left down into the small space between the left side of my foot and the side of the boot. I can pull the tongue back up, but it will fall back down after another 1 to 3 minutes of walking. Sometimes if I've been sitting for a while it will slip down on its own.

The right shoe doesn't have this problem at all, and bizarrely enough the tongue on the right shoe looks very, very well worn in unlike the one on the left (these boots are about a month old), which has some but not a lot of signs of wear. I'm hoping that this is something that goes away with age, but the issue here is that this slippage problem is preventing the tongue from breaking in in a way that might prevent this in the future. (Also, thickness of socks does not affect this problem; the burliest of wool socks or the thinnest of dress socks don't affect this one way or another.)

So... any ideas? I had thought about putting a tongue pad on the bottom of the tongue facing my foot, but am looking for something less invasive/less permanent. Is there some kind of Chromexcel-friendly adhesive I could use that would be removable and wouldn't damage the leather? It'd have to stick to some fairly oily leather...

Thanks in advance, everyone!

OK, relacing didn't work, the tongue pad didn't work; the thing falls down after maybe 30 seconds of walking. It's time to take it to a cobbler. Will most cobblers suggest tacking the tongue? Is there a way one can do this without ruining the shoe or permanently altering it? Ideally I'd like to be able to undo whatever work they do by the time the shoe is broken in.

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
OK, relacing didn't work, the tongue pad didn't work; the thing falls down after maybe 30 seconds of walking. It's time to take it to a cobbler. Will most cobblers suggest tacking the tongue? Is there a way one can do this without ruining the shoe or permanently altering it? Ideally I'd like to be able to undo whatever work they do by the time the shoe is broken in.

I've done it to a pair of my Indys and it definitely helped the tongue slipping. This was suggested to me by the guys at the Alden store here in San Francisco.

As far as I can tell there would be no way to "undo" it without there being minor stitch holes in the tongue. My cobbler precisely matched the stitching into the previously stitched ankle of the boots, which was cool because you can't tell from the outside at all.
I just left it. I don't think the tongues would stop sliding down now that the boots are broken in anyway.

It takes a minute to get used to putting the boots on your feet because you can only enter from the one side, but I think it's definitely worth it in the long run. I have a couple other pairs of Alden boots that I'd like to do it to as well.

Good luck!

cmsmith

Reaction score
Anyone see the new custom makeup for Winn Perry. Indy style oxford, looks decent.

enigma77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonfoote303
I've done it to a pair of my Indys and it definitely helped the tongue slipping. This was suggested to me by the guys at the Alden store here in San Francisco.

As far as I can tell there would be no way to "undo" it without there being minor stitch holes in the tongue. My cobbler precisely matched the stitching into the previously stitched ankle of the boots, which was cool because you can't tell from the outside at all.
I just left it. I don't think the tongues would stop sliding down now that the boots are broken in anyway.

It takes a minute to get used to putting the boots on your feet because you can only enter from the one side, but I think it's definitely worth it in the long run. I have a couple other pairs of Alden boots that I'd like to do it to as well.

Good luck!

Wow, that's awesome that tacking worked out so well for you. I probably wouldn't mind holes in the tongue as long as there isn't extra stitching visible on the outside.

Two questions: 1. How much should I expect to pay for something like this? I'd hoped sort of $20 or less. And 2. Any chance you could post close-up pics that I could show to a cobbler?

Thanks!

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any chance you could post close-up pics that I could show to a cobbler?
That's probably a good idea ^

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Wow, that's awesome that tacking worked out so well for you. I probably wouldn't mind holes in the tongue as long as there isn't extra stitching visible on the outside.

Two questions: 1. How much should I expect to pay for something like this? I'd hoped sort of $20 or less. And 2. Any chance you could post close-up pics that I could show to a cobbler?

Thanks!

It was $15 or $20 if I recall.

I don't have the boots anymore. I sold them on Ebay because I was tired of my old 405's and used the money towards a pair of 403's. It was nice to find out you can get $245 for a beat-up old pair of Indys!

I did find a picture that I used to sell them and you can see what I'm talking about.

indystitching.jpg

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
My latest pair. I saw these in NYC and had to get them! I think I'll get a lot of wear out of these in the warmer months.

blueSuede1.jpg

blueSuede2.jpg

Blue suede PTB's, Barrie last, flex welt sole, lined.

enigma77

Reaction score

I don't have the boots anymore. I sold them on Ebay because I was tired of my old 405's and used the money towards a pair of 403's. It was nice to find out you can get $245 for a beat-up old pair of Indys!

I did find a picture that I used to sell them and you can see what I'm talking about.

Wow, that was fast. Thank you so much. I've sent you a PM so I don't continue to clutter up the thread about this one issue.

And, wow, those blue suede guys are sort of amazing, and sort of ridiculous. I mean, I've seen blue suede shoes before... Maybe it's just those particular ones. But those are pretty awesome.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My latest pair. I saw these in NYC and had to get them! I think I'll get a lot of wear out of these in the warmer months.

blueSuede1.jpg

blueSuede2.jpg

Those are nice. How much were they?

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for postin those.

Fan-*******-tastic!
worship.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads