• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Tailor Custom Suits

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dibenetto
yes we're talking about modern tailor.
they didn't invent anything under the sun. they simply use resources available.
they're based in a first tier chinese city (shanghai,beijing,guangzhou,shenzhen) most probably.

Awesome. Any of us could have guessed everything you said. This is relevant to the original thread because...

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dibenetto
yes we're talking about modern tailor.
they didn't invent anything under the sun. they simply use resources available.
they're based in a first tier chinese city (shanghai,beijing,guangzhou,shenzhen) most probably.

Take it easy, man.
Nobody's saying ModernTailor suits are anything special; there are literally dozens of online MTM sources, and few of them are based in Savile Row or Milan for that matter.

In fact, this thread mainly exists in order to evaluate the ordering process as well as the quality of ModernTailor suits according to empirical evidence, ie people who have received their suit.

Your speculations and general musings are interesting (at least to me), but are kinda taking the thread off-topic. Why don't you start a new thread with your thoughts about the industry and the
dangers and opportunities it faces through competition from emerging markets?

click here

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Drudged
Just pulled the trigger for a charcoal 2 button peak lapel, I'll post pics when the suit finally comes in. [/url]

Please do. Really interested to see the results.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Drudged
Just pulled the trigger for a charcoal 2 button peak lapel, I'll post pics when the suit finally comes in. Also, has anybody checked out their cufflinks recently? I just came across this...

https://www.moderntailor.com/pub/pd....=&id=1180&all=

People outside of 'the west' really have no clue about them relating to Nazism. They're a sign of auspiciousness in India and Asia. Having been to India I've seen them everywhere.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
People outside of 'the west' really have no clue about them relating to Nazism. They're a sign of auspiciousness in India and Asia. Having been to India I've seen them everywhere.

Exactly. The below is quoted from Wikipedia:

The swastika (from Sanskrit svástika स्वस्तिक) is an equilateral cross with its arms bent at right angles, in either right-facing (卐) form or its mirrored left-facing (卍) form. Archaeological evidence of swastika-shaped ornaments dates from the Neolithic period. It occurs mainly in the modern day culture of India, sometimes as a geometrical motif and sometimes as a religious symbol. It remains widely used in Indian religions such as Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism.Though once commonly used all over much of the world without stigma, because of its iconic usage in Nazi Germany the symbol has become stigmatized in the Western world, notably even outlawed in Germany.

It's an age-old symbol still widely used in countries and cultures that simply do not know (or care) about Nazi Germany.

imwithtuxedo

Reaction score
Anyone get their suits from MT yet? Curious about the feedback.

the_sartorialist

Reaction score
Martin, thanks for taking the time to post your pictures.

For the rest who have ordered their suits or are considering ordering their suits from MT, am I the only one who thinks their jacket sleeve buttonholes are very sloppy?

coltboy75

Reaction score
Can any of you who purchased these suits post pictures? Thanks

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coltboy75

Below is the response I received from the Modern Tailor forum when I posed a questioned concerning their suits.

#3 (permalink) 12-24-2009, 11:42 PM
Emma
Administrator Join Date: Sep 2009

ModernTailor Suit - Fit Guarantee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your comments.
If it's your first time to order ModernTailor suit, please order our suit swatches Just put a note that you'd like to order suit swatches so you can have a feel of the material we use.

When you get the suits after a couple of weeks and think that the fit needs alterations, please have it altered in your own local area. Once you have the measurements that you think is perfect for you (as advised by your tailor), then please make another order on our database. We'll send you another suit based on the new measurements you entered for FREE

Emma
ModernTailor Customer Service

"We'll send you another suit based on the new measurements you entered for FREE"

I don't get it . . . Does this mean the second suit is free, or does it mean they will send the second suit POSTAGE-FREE (i.e. they pay for shipping, not you)??

??????????????????????????????

coltboy75

Reaction score
Second suit does not cost a dime and you can pick another fabric in the same price range. So if you bought a SB notched lapel and had minor alterations, send those alteration measurements to Modern Tailor, you could order a DB peaked lapel suit in another fabric in the same price range!

Why haven't I pulled the trigger on this yet?!?!?!?!?!? Oh ya, I waiting to see more pictures of their suits. You would think they would have a suit showcase like they do for their shirts.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A suit is 80% fit. So I'm not sure what a showcase could tell you. If the quality of their shirt photography is anything to go by, I guess you might be able to tell the quality of the button holes but that's basically it. Instead, let this thread be a showcase of the suit with its owner inside. Who wants to take the plunge
devil.gif
?

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coltboy75

Second suit does not cost a dime and you can pick another fabric in the same price range. So if you bought a SB notched lapel and had minor alterations, send those alteration measurements to Modern Tailor, you could order a DB peaked lapel suit in another fabric in the same price range!

That's impressive.

It sounds too good to be true.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads