• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Invisible Mending: How invisible?

Smartalox

Reaction score
So I was on my way out with the Mrs. for her birthday dinner at Vij's in Vancouver on Saturday, and as I slid into the back seat of the cab, I snagged the knee of my MTM suit on a bit of metal spring that had poked through the upholstery on back of the driver's seat.

Luckily I was unhurt (imagine how a trip to the ER for stitches could put a dent in a romantic night out), but the result is that the pants of my suit have a 1/8th inch tear in the right knee.

I called the cab company, and I think that they'll offer some compensation, because they said that the same thing had happened in the same cab a few days before, and that the driver had been warned.

The damage is small, and I think that it can be mended. My question is, how invisible is 'invisible mending'? Good as new? Or is there clearly a seam at the site of the repair? Fortunately, the suit is a dark charcoal with a blue pinstripe, so a repair might not be obvious. What's an estimate for the cost of a good repair?

Please let me know your experiences,

A.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reweaving can be pretty expensive depending on how big the tear is. Most reweavers won't quote a price until seeing the damage. Without a Trace in Chicago gets very good reviews.

How invisible is it? I think you can always see the damaged area regardless of the fix but the good thing is the damage is in the knee area and most people will not look at the knee unless it becomes very obvious.

Good luck.

Wicky

Reaction score
If its a solid suit, invisible is really invisible even on a light color suit. You have to know that its there otherwise you will not see it (besides from the inside). If the suit is nailhead, herringbone or any some kind of patern fabric invisible is visible from a couple of ft. away.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a suit that needed a repair as a result of a moth hole. I used a very good mending service and yet still I could indeed see the repair ... on close inspection.

As a result I decided not to wear the suit ... so it stayed in the closet for a year. When I next took it out ... I could not find the repair. I didn't exactly remember where the hole had been ... but I looked for a good ten minutes. The repair work must be better than I remember ... or my eyes have gotten a lot worse. I now wear the suit again. I still haven't come across the repair area.

Best of luck with that repair.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a small hole repaired in my charcoal herringbone suit and it seriously is invisible (without the application of a magnifying glass). Probably highly dependent on the skill of the repairer.

ragdoll

Reaction score
I have sent 2-3 items to Without a Trace. They will let you know if they cannot do a decent job as occurred in one torn pant much like yours.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
Without a Trace in Chicago gets very good reviews.
I can endorse their work.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
I had a small hole repaired in my charcoal herringbone suit and it seriously is invisible (without the application of a magnifying glass). Probably highly dependent on the skill of the repairer.
Thinking of using such service. Could you tell me where this was done?

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
It was done via the Suitsupply MTM shop in Amsterdam (the suit was from them). I don't know who they outsource this work to but I expect they'd say if you asked nicely.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
Indeed ... if they are that good ... I'd bring any items needing repair to Amsterdam when I visit ... or plan longer layovers when transiting.

Wicky

Reaction score
A week may be a long lay over.... That's how long it took for my suit the last time.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
It was done via the Suitsupply MTM shop in Amsterdam (the suit was from them). I don't know who they outsource this work to but I expect they'd say if you asked nicely.

Thank you
fistbump.gif

UserNameToronto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smartalox
So I was on my way out with the Mrs. for her birthday dinner at Vij's in Vancouver on Saturday, and as I slid into the back seat of the cab, I snagged the knee of my MTM suit on a bit of metal spring that had poked through the upholstery on back of the driver's seat.

Luckily I was unhurt (imagine how a trip to the ER for stitches could put a dent in a romantic night out), but the result is that the pants of my suit have a 1/8th inch tear in the right knee.

I called the cab company, and I think that they'll offer some compensation, because they said that the same thing had happened in the same cab a few days before, and that the driver had been warned.

The damage is small, and I think that it can be mended. My question is, how invisible is 'invisible mending'? Good as new? Or is there clearly a seam at the site of the repair? Fortunately, the suit is a dark charcoal with a blue pinstripe, so a repair might not be obvious. What's an estimate for the cost of a good repair?

A.

I think your avatar is fantastic! PET!

JN41

Reaction score
I once had a small hole on a pair of charcoal trousers invisibly mended (is that the right verb?). It was expensive ($50 or $60) but well worth it -- I can't even tell where the hole was.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smartalox

A.

Before reweaving:

FDF_PA160001before.jpg

After reweaving:

418_PA160001.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads