• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Lesser has some hegemony on Savile row ?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
oooh. Someone should do a YouTube with Hitler being told that his new A&S coat doesn't fit.

Originally Posted by A Y
Still in the cards ... Actually it was going to involve Hitler ordering a black suit and being told that you don't approve.

--Andre

UM GOTTES WILLEN!!!!!!! Ich wollte diesen Anzug auf STALINGRAD tragen!!!!!!! Mein Schneider hat mir VERRATEN!!!!!!!!!

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And I used to think I could just walk away from all this ... amusement.

It may be my only entertainment once I am deeper in the provinces ... assuming there is Internet service.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know what you are insinuating, but if you ask around you will find that virutally all the tailors
facepalm.gif
at Lesser's poor business sense and marketing and worry that the firm will go out of business. That is hardly indicative of payoffs, bribes, kickbacks or whatever. They are known to charge pretty much the most of the mainstream merchants (Scabal diamond dust and super-dupers notwithstanding). SR either passes that cost along to the clients (making the Lesser upcharge disadvantageous from a sales perspective) or doesn't (in which case the tailor eats the differential). Both of those facts would also seem to undermine whatever point you were trying to insinuate.

Easy tiger. I'm not insinuating anything. I said 'One could be cynical and suggest...' I remember defending Lessers in that very thread that RJman has quoted above.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
Easy tiger. I'm not insinuating anything. I said 'One could be cynical and suggest...'

Yes, one could be cynical and libel the business practices of respected merchants without any evidence at all. Actually, "cynical" is really the wrong word for that, isn't it?

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
And I used to think I could just walk away from all this ... amusement. It may be my only entertainment once I am deeper in the provinces ... assuming there is Internet service.
I'm now on the lookout for any thread with hegemony in the title.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
I believe A&S have a hegemony on divots.

--Andre

some hegemony yes. But why?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I speak Mandarin, the true language of love.

You use marmalade? That's weird.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, one could be cynical and libel the business practices of respected merchants without any evidence at all. Actually, "cynical" is really the wrong word for that, isn't it?
I know I mentioned FNB and Lessers in the same thread, but there really is no need to get excited about it. Also, we were talking about the tailors on Savile Row pushing a certain cloth and why, not the merchants.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I know I mentioned FNB and Lessers in the same thread, but there really is no need to get excited about it.

Also, we were talking about the tailors on Savile Row pushing a certain cloth and why, not the merchants.

Oh, OK, so you meant to trash the tailors without evidence and not Lesser. Well, that clears that up! Certainly exonarates you!

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, OK, so you meant to trash the tailors without evidence and not Lesser. Well, that clears that up! Certainly exonarates you!
Look, tailors push cloths that they get at discount, merchants often sell roll ends, cloth with faults (marked with strings) etc. These are usually offered at discount to the tailor. The tailor doesn't pass this discount onto the customer but pockets the difference, the customer is none the wiser. The auto industry does similar things within it's dealer network. The electronics industry does it with their retailers, they are incentivised to promote certain lines more than others for various reasons, it's good business.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Look, tailors push cloths that they get at discount, merchants often sell roll ends, cloth with faults (marked with strings) etc. These are usually offered at discount to the tailor. The tailor doesn't pass this discount onto the customer but pockets the difference, the customer is none the wiser. The auto industry does similar things within it's dealer network. The electronics industry does it with their retailers, they are incentivised to promote certain lines more than others for various reasons, it's good business.

And this applies to tailors and Lesser ... why? Neither I nor dozens of friends who've bought their cloth nor dozens of tailors whom I've used have ever come accross one shred of evidence of anything like the above. Indeed, the opposite is true. Consumers and tailors alike praise Lesser in terms that they use for no other brand of cloth. My personal experience is that nothing is better and maybe some tiny % is equal to it. For your original insinuation to be correct, by the way, then all these tailors over the course of my nearly 20 years of doing this must have been getting a steady stream of faulty cloth. Also, when I have been encouraged to order Lesser from the books, they must have known that every single cloth in that book was cut rate. Oh, and even when I have ordered from brand new Lesser books, I suppose all those were end bolts and riddled with strings?

I guess you have some axe to grind, which is in keeping with your other observed proclivities. Grind it all you want, but when you do it in public like this people may well speak up. Like I said to another person today, you just have to factor that in as a transaction cost.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone keeping score?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Anyone keeping score?

Sorry guys...

I do think there is a historical dimension to it and the Lesser netweork and link to SR tailors seem quite strong...

I have met someone from Lesser when I was at Huntsman and we did have a chat because he remembered me trying to buy some Golden bale directly from them...

Is it just due to networking , the quality of the fabrics , a good business model or a bit of the above?

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And this applies to tailors and Lesser ... why? Neither I nor dozens of friends who've bought their cloth nor dozens of tailors whom I've used have ever come accross one shred of evidence of anything like the above. Indeed, the opposite is true. Consumers and tailors alike praise Lesser in terms that they use for no other brand of cloth. My personal experience is that nothing is better and maybe some tiny % is equal to it. For your original insinuation to be correct, by the way, then all these tailors over the course of my nearly 20 years of doing this must have been getting a steady stream of faulty cloth. Also, when I have been encouraged to order Lesser from the books, they must have known that every single cloth in that book was cut rate. Oh, and even when I have ordered from brand new Lesser books, I suppose all those were end bolts and riddled with strings? I guess you have some axe to grind, which is in keeping with your other observed proclivities. Grind it all you want, but when you do it in public like this people may well speak up. Like I said to another person today, you just have to factor that in as a transaction cost.
Unbelievable. You really do know the meaning of the word hyperbole don't you?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
And I used to think I could just walk away from all this ... amusement.

It may be my only entertainment once I am deeper in the provinces ... assuming there is Internet service.

Do they have birdseed in the Outback?

20060127-spy.jpg

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads