• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Omega Speedmaster - adivce on where to buy/arbitrage

meFIRST

Reaction score
Hi,

I have always wanted this watch, and finally I think I am in a position to cave in a get it (for my upcoming birthday) as a gift to myself. Why not?n

I know a friend who is totally into watches - his preferred method is to buy them in Europe/ Switzerland or France, claim the VAT refund and weat it on the plane ride home. (ship the empty box home or throw it away)

I travel extensively - and I find myself in Asia and Europe regularly - can anyone comment on the cheapest places to buy Omega watches (at the boutique - are the prices the same or is there any sort of price arbitrage?). Often though - I find that the US has the cheapest prices for luxury goods.

Or are the prices the same world wide?

Thanks

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cant help on relative pricing but it's a fantastic watch, you should definitely get it.
be aware that IF you should ever wish to sell it on, it will be much more difficult without box and papers.
have you considered buying lightly used at timezone..

mdp0430

Reaction score
Wearing mine right now. Have you considered Bernardwatch.com?

meFIRST

Reaction score
Just got back from China. The quality - and craftsmanship of fakes in China (if you know where to look) astounding.
I could never tell the difference. I bet ya that could probably fake the papers too.

No - nothing short of buying it a an Omeaga boutique will do. (for that amount of money it better be a swiss chronometer)

Thought I'd ask - the prices for Tifany stuff, i.e is different stateside vs Europe vs Asia (its much higher in Europe). Ditto for Cartier.

Francisco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by meFIRST
Just got back from China. The quality - and craftsmanship of fakes in China (if you know where to look) astounding.
I could never tell the difference. I bet ya that could probably fake the papers too.

No - nothing short of buying it a an Omeaga boutique will do. (for that amount of money it better be a swiss chronometer)

Thought I'd ask - the prices for Tifany stuff, i.e is different stateside vs Europe vs Asia (its much higher in Europe). Ditto for Cartier.

A FAKE one?

meFIRST

Reaction score
No the real thing. Duh. This watch needs to last years.

I know where to get great fakes in China - its unbelievable - automatic movement and all.
Virtually identical.

Expect one is made in a backhouse in Ghuagzhou.

kaiserkarl

Reaction score
how can you not tell? did you even try the chronograph? the fake rolex daytona just has 1 hand move everytime you press it.
lol8[1].gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Even taking VAT into account, watches are often still cheapest in the U.S. You can get a pretty decent discount off of MSRP (20-25%) just by asking.

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by meFIRST
I know where to get great fakes in China - its unbelievable - automatic movement and all.
Virtually identical.

Are you a shill for some website selling Chinese fakes? Otherwise, why even bring them up?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Even taking VAT into account, watches are often still cheapest in the U.S. You can get a pretty decent discount off of MSRP (20-25%) just by asking.

really? I thought hong kong trumps the united states in watches.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

+ 1...............most AD's will discount just by asking. Not uncommon to get 25 - 35% off an Omega, however I suspect that a Speedmaster would not be as heavily discounted being that it is their most iconic model.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viral
Speedmaster would not be as heavily discounted.

+1

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
really? I thought hong kong trumps the united states in watches.

Actually HK is pretty bad with discounting these days. I was offered 50% off a 125% marked up watch recently. Bargain.

I've found Singapore to have some pretty good deals from time to time.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that Singapore can have some good deals. I bought an Omega there some years back at an astoundingly good price, and got an OEM band thrown in for good measure (which would normally have cost about US$200 or so).

Otherwise, as others have said, visit a few places around where you live, have a chat with the salespeople, and see if you can get a discount. In relative terms, the Speedmaster is not all that expensive and I think that it gives great bang for the buck.

Don't forget the that the "real" Speedmaster - the Speedmaster Professional (Speedy Pro) has a manual wind movement and a hesalite (acrylic) face. This means that you have to wind it every couple of days and that the face can get scratched. There are some special editions, and a "reduced" Speedmaster (slightly smaller size) that have automatic (ie self-winding) movements but, naturally enough, watch purists tend to prefer the Speedy Pro.

It is a great watch and one that I don't think that you would ever regret purchasing.

JTK

Reaction score
Check out the Omega sub-forum on watchuseek and look for the 'favorite AD' link. If you're in LA, you can get a nice discount at Feldmars. I bought my PO there about a month ago for 30% off msrp!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads