• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to T-Shirts

Whiskey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kinch
Does anyone else have a problem with wrinkles/creases at the seams of the sleeves/waist of these "better" t-shirts (which, from what I understand, is a sign of poor sewing)? I'm talking about the kind that is always there, can't be ironed away.

I just got a basic crew from Alternative Apparel and it fits great, but the damn sleeves and waist are so wrinkly that the whole appearance just isn't right. Meanwhile, some of my old Hanes/Gildan t-shirts have great fit and don't have the wrinkles around the sleeves/waist (although they aren't as soft).

i've been noticing that while ive been folding my alt.app shirts. i thought it was because of the shrinkage. it doesnt really bother me too much because id rather have a shirt with some wrinkles than an out of the box look

Malcontent

Reaction score
I am looking for the tee shirt with the most "aggressive" taper. I am 5'11" with a 43" chest and a 32" waist at about 185 lbs. From reading this thread it appears that the Mossimo and American Apparel brands have a good taper. Any other brands? I hate having to buy shirts that a ridiculously tight around my chest and arms just so they fit around my waist.

.Impulsv

Reaction score
I'd say American Apparel's are slim fit, not tapered.

The two I've personally seen with the most aggressive taper are Mossimo from Target and slim fit t's at Zara. The latter were too short on me though (I have a long torso), but it might work for you.

Malcontent

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I don't know how I lived before I found out about SF!!!
worship.gif

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, American App has zero taper. See if Mossimo fits you.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went and grabbed a pack of Hanes ComfortSoft V-neck tees today and found that they fit me really well. I've got a 34.5" chest and went with a size Small. Pre-wash... ample room in the chest and slim at the waist. The V isn't douchey deep and the fabric seems on par for what you'd expect at this price range. Going to toss them into the washer and see how they shrink, but so far so good.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really want some epic thick white T's, crew and v

Who makes the thickest T's?

Was going to go loopwheeler but they are pretty expensive over here via SelfEdge.

kevinbrownshakedown

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uker
I'm in love with Express tee's. I got a bunch for xmas and they are constructed so well and fit my frame perfectly; I'm about 6'0 and 160 lbs....they shrink just a tad in the wash but they are 5% spandex? I think and are stretchy and very comfy.

I don't think I am going to any other brand now for tees..

The Express tees are great until you wash them. The collar will roll up in the back. Happened to every single one I own.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the best cheapo brand for some V-Necks I can wear as undershirts?

maritimetimetime

Reaction score
im looking for some short/skinny people tshirts. Im around 5'6" with a 34" chest.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maritimetimetime
im looking for some short/skinny people tshirts. Im around 5'6" with a 34" chest.
Alternative Apparel unisex shirts are short. A Small would probably fit you well.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maritimetimetime

AC Moore Arts and Crafts for $3. Its a Haynes Heavyweight 50/50. Here's the measurements for a small after *shrinkage:

pit to pit: 17"
shoulder= 17"
length (from where the shoulder/neck meet to bottom) = 26.5"
Top of sleeve= 7.5"
Bottom of sleeve= 4.5"
sleeve width @ body= 8.5"
sleeve hem= 6.5"

Im 5'5" 130lbs

The quality is decent for a cheap ass shirt. The cashier told me all the Sheriffs wear these under thier uniforms. They come in a variety of colors.

*they are labeled 50% pre-shrunk cotton/50 poly but they do indeed shrink after a warm wash/hot tumble.

dave333

Reaction score
I picked up one of the target athletic fit ones the other day and it really does have a pretty good fit. Worlds better than jcrew, gap, etc. and they're cheap too. Quality is good for the price, good thickness and very soft.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads