• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Rubinacci Thread.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mat135ta
Thanks so much! I thought they are thicker than 2.5mm. I was wrong.

With the same shape and polish, is it true that the thicker the buttons, the better and the more luxury they look? If have have the option to choose the thickness of the buttons I order from the factory, what kind of thickness is preferred? 4mm thick for 20mm buttons and 3mm thick for 15mm ones, or 5mm thick for 20mm ones and 4mm thick for 15mm ones?

I think your thinking too much about buttons.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.

Would you please measure the ones in this pic?

goalf.jpg

There are four of them.

Thanks.

- B

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mat135ta
Thanks so much! I thought they are thicker than 2.5mm. I was wrong. With the same shape and polish, is it true that the thicker the buttons, the better and the more luxury they look? If have have the option to choose the thickness of the buttons I order from the factory, what kind of thickness is preferred? 4mm thick for 20mm buttons and 3mm thick for 15mm ones, or 5mm thick for 20mm ones and 4mm thick for 15mm ones?
Looks like Rubinacci buttons are headed the way of rims. As in... "All my jackets have 20mm dubs, that how I roll"

mat135ta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.

The good buttons (and the right way to use them) do make a huge difference, according to my experience.

Since I am trying to source some good buttons at reasonable price, for myself and for SFers, it does make sense to sort out the optimal solution (or near optimal) before placing the orders to the factory.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best case scenario is that you will get a poor deal since you are placing a relatively small order. Take nataurlaut for example. $4.5 for each button? I mean - WTF?
confused.gif
For a 3r2 with 8 cuff buttons and pants, that is a significant chunk of change... for buttons. RJW sells horn buttons that are 1mm thinner but still plenty thick (3mm) for less than a dollar each. Consider for a moment as well that the best buttons in the world will make not a whit of difference to a poorly cut suit, which is the problem with most suits we see here. This button thing is like one of those audiophile things - like $1000 wooden knobs on your stereo player to make it 'sound' better.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Best case scenario is that you will get a poor deal since you are placing a relatively small order.

Take nataurlaut for example. $4.5 for each button? I mean - WTF?
confused.gif
For a 3r2 with 8 cuff buttons and pants, that is a significant chunk of change... for buttons. RJW sells horn buttons that are 1mm thinner but still plenty thick (3mm) for less than a dollar each.

Don't know anything about RJW but keep in mind that a lot of "horn" buttons that are sold on the market are actually Urea, which are very cheap and can be dyed to make them look like anything. Most people, including merchants, can't tell the difference. The button hierarchy is Urea, Corozo, Horn (moves up in price the lighter it gets in color). I can tell you from experience dealing with one of the largest, if not the largest, wholesalers of horn buttons in the U.S. that you cannot retail quality horn buttons for under a $1.00.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Sorry it was <1 GBP.

I am skeptical that RJW, one of the bigger trimming/haberdashery names, would knowingly cheat its customers.

Any reliable way to tell urea from horn?

Apropos,

No need to sorry, the RJW horn button price are less than 1 USD. The supplier don't know where to source, doesn't mean it can't be done.
RJW do have imitation horn button to sell, they are cheaper than real horn.
Using a red hot needle can test it.

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RJW buttons are the real deal. They are not the faux horn you often get, which is not straight plastic but ground-down bone mixed with resin and cast as buttons. You only need to get your hands on some RJW buttons to see this. As pointed out, they also have a range of straight plastic and imitation horn buttons.

For the record, I have never sold RJW buttons nor have I got anything to do with them. They happily sell to anyone and are cheap and easy to deal with.

mat135ta

Reaction score
Best case scenario is that you will get a poor deal since you are placing a relatively small order. Take nataurlaut for example. $4.5 for each button? I mean - WTF?
confused.gif
For a 3r2 with 8 cuff buttons and pants, that is a significant chunk of change... for buttons. RJW sells horn buttons that are 1mm thinner but still plenty thick (3mm) for less than a dollar each. Consider for a moment as well that the best buttons in the world will make not a whit of difference to a poorly cut suit, which is the problem with most suits we see here. This button thing is like one of those audiophile things - like $1000 wooden knobs on your stereo player to make it 'sound' better.

I can get buttons from the factory that supplies Brioni for around $1.5/pc for 24L, $2/pc for 32L. And the buttons are 2mm thicker, if not nicer, than RJW sells. Well said about the cut of suits, but the same go with shirts, yet I will be really disappointed if Borrelli changes the buttons it uses to cheaper thinner ones.
Originally Posted by edmorel
Don't know anything about RJW but keep in mind that a lot of "horn" buttons that are sold on the market are actually Urea, which are very cheap and can be dyed to make them look like anything. Most people, including merchants, can't tell the difference. The button hierarchy is Urea, Corozo, Horn (moves up in price the lighter it gets in color). I can tell you from experience dealing with one of the largest, if not the largest, wholesalers of horn buttons in the U.S. that you cannot retail quality horn buttons for under a $1.00.
What about MOP and bone buttons? Where do they lie in the hierarchy? : p

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BUMP for updates/ more photos. Whnay, did I miss further photos of your recently completed items? I don't think I ever caught photos showing the fit and cut of your chalkstriped suit, etc., if you wouldn't mind posting them/ again.

thanks!

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I think Bill's suit looks great. Some of you are picky to the point of absurdity, IMO. Here are a couple of mine.
td1002vg7.jpg

This tailor does not appear to adjust his cut based on body type. Reminds me of Ambrosi, who appears to like big hips and tiny cuffs on anyone, be it midget or circus clown. Your suit looks great on you because you are tall, thin, fit, and have good posture. The suit of the original poster does not fit well because he is short, rotund, and has posture issues. Had the tailor adjusted his cut for the original's body type, his suit would look far better.
cimg1427ed4.jpg
A great example of how one style fits two people vastly differently, with a stark contrast in end result.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
This tailor does not appear to adjust his cut based on body type. Reminds me of Ambrosi, who appears to like big hips and tiny cuffs on anyone, be it midget or circus clown. Your suit looks great on you because you are tall, thin, fit, and have good posture. The suit of the original poster does not fit well because he is short, rotund, and has posture issues. Had the tailor adjusted his cut for the original's body type, his suit would look far better.

cimg1427ed4.jpg

A great example of how one style fits two people vastly differently, with a stark contrast in end result.

IMO, shorter people will benefit from the neopolitan lapel/shoulder. Having a higher lapel gives the appearance of being taller as a longer line is created. Someone like me who is already 6'2" would not benefit from the look.

Looks like somebody has a serious sloped right shoulder (Iammatt)!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads