• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Curious_George

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roguls
Check out these GT-esque boots. NOS from eBay. I wonder what vintage they are... They are more comfortable than my GTs, but they are an E width (not available with GTs). http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/6365/img2018x.jpg http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/4062/img2020n.jpg http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/2738/img2021jk.jpg http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/9711/img2022y.jpg http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/9494/img2027oq.jpg
Amazing find. I never have any luck finding vintage Es in my size (or NOS at all). I'm a little jealous.

splattered

Reaction score
I contacted Zappos customer service and explained the dilemma about the tongue on the right boot being half as thick as it should be... the lady on the phone apologized and went to look to see if they have anymore on order. NONE in hawthorne on order. She said i can either keep the boots and they will give me further discount for them since they are defective, or i can just return for a credit.

I feel like if i really wanted to i could tear the tongue in half with my bear hands.. thats how thin/flimsy they are. That being said, there is absolutely nothing else wrong with them and i am tempted to keep them at further discount. Could i like put some duct tape on the bottom of the tongue so they don't tear or would that be too ghetto? What could i do to properly reinforce the tongue?

Not sure what to do...

Simontuntelder

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roguls
Check out these GT-esque boots. NOS from eBay. I wonder what vintage they are...

There are some Japanese blogs that can help you ID your boots. I can't seem to find them right now, but I think they have been posted here on SF or at least they have on Sufu.

And for the defective boots, just send them to Red Wing. I think they have a repair service, which you can use. So just accept the discount and have them repaired at Red Wing. You might even get a cobbler near you to fix them or at least reinforce the tongue. Shouldn't be a problem but good luck anyways.

splattered

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Money
do not duct tape. If you have to resort to that, it's worth getting an exchange.

An exchange isn't possible... if it was i wouldn't give it a second thought.

**Well, they DO have the amber color in my size... but theyre more expensive.

They might be willing to give them to me for the Hawthorne price, but i actually do like the Hawthorne color :/

Biggie_Robs

Reaction score
This color doesn't get mentioned enough: Model 8112, Oro-iginal, sometimes called Russet

p1020427.jpg

Julian84

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Money
If this guy approves, so should you.
2980716489_d711516e10_b.jpg

What color are these? Are these the briair oil slick leather kind? All the pictures I see from retailers show them as being quite a bit darker than this.

Christobevii3

Reaction score
The oil slicks change colors a lot. If you mink oil them a lot they get dark and if you dont they are light like those in the pictures.

Gunky

Reaction score
actually I had a pair of RW GTs with an odd tongue on the right boot, RW took the boots back even after I wore em like 3 times and sent me new pair. Takes a while though

splattered

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gunky
actually I had a pair of RW GTs with an odd tongue on the right boot, RW took the boots back even after I wore em like 3 times and sent me new pair. Takes a while though

Well i bought em from Zappos... i checked the RW site to see if there was any kind of warranty information etc and it says you can return to the retailer you purchased them from only. I ended up calling zappos and had them send me the Amber pair in my size at a discounted price... if RW actually would be willing to send me a replacement pair of the hawthorne too that would rock.

***I've searched and found some threads on the forum where people talk about applying conditioner and sno-seal etc to these... i live in SoCal and they will probably see minimal water... maybe the ocassional rain storm. Would it be wise for me to still apply all that kinda stuff to these boots are is that just more for chronically rainy/snowy area wear?

kookydooky

Reaction score
How do Iron Ranger sizes compare to 875s SHould I just get the same size

Also does anyone know if Iron Rangers work with New Standards or if they have pics of people wearing Iron Rangers with New Standards

pingsc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kookydooky
How do Iron Ranger sizes compare to 875s SHould I just get the same size

Also does anyone know if Iron Rangers work with New Standards or if they have pics of people wearing Iron Rangers with New Standards

I've got both in 8.5, my IRs are more roomy in the toebox while feeling narrower in the instep. I also experience a fair amount of heel slippage in the 875s that are not present with my IRs.

illumin8em

Reaction score
you are right, they don't get mentioned enough. I wish that i would have got this color instead of my amber harness, i do not even wear them. Anyone with a size 10 in Russet who wants to trade, let me know/pm me. Mine are still practically brand new aside from being protected with Obeneauf's.

Originally Posted by Biggie_Robs
This color doesn't get mentioned enough: Model 8112, Oro-iginal, sometimes called Russet

p1020427.jpg

splattered

Reaction score
Received the Amber today and they are beautiful! They are a slightly darker brown than i thought they would be but i still love em... i dig the color variations around the boot too. THESE are what i was hoping the Wolverine Montgomery was going to be like concerning leather quality and color. And they even ended up being cheaper. They scuff super easy though... i thought i saw something on the side of the boot and went to swipe it off and put a fingernail mark in it which made the leather lighter where it was scraped... sheesh. I mean these are pretty much work boots but i didnt think they'd be THAT easy to scuff up. So being that i'm in socal should i bother with leather conditioner/sealer etc or just wear and enjoy em as is?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads