• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Louis Boston

horton

Reaction score
Has anyone else been there? No more Kiton or Brioni. Much more affordable and they're touting their lower prices. I'd be surprised if they have anything for over 2k now.

I know they get a lot of heat here, but I think a lot of it is undeserved. I think their new lines are much more in keeping with modern business casual.

I actually liked a lot of what I saw.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they're touting lower prices, the store loses cachet, IMO, and becomes less of a "destination". Doesn't make much sense given the general dearth of nearby retail at the new location.

I haven't been there. I hope they bring back the SW&D business, ideally without copying Stel's or Barney's.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
Doesn't make much sense given the general dearth of nearby retail at the new location.

Perhaps they are counting on publicity generated by nearby WAYWT self-photography of Boston's Favorite Dandy?

horton

Reaction score
To the extent they have streetwear it's on the fancier end, i.e., no denim or hoodies, but Brine pants (carried by Stels, and a good product0 and Burkman Bros shirts.

It's more like Barneys than Stel's

It's worth a look. I think they've struck the right balance for a wider audience than their typical one.

They still have challenges as you noted (e.g., the general area right now is a wasteland with no other reason to go there)

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
If they're touting lower prices, the store loses cachet, IMO, and becomes less of a "destination". Doesn't make much sense given the general dearth of nearby retail at the new location.

I think for the most part, consumers are a bit more frugal nowadays and as long as they are not accepting food stamps as currency, they won't lose any catchet.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by horton
They still have challenges as you noted (e.g., the general area right now is a wasteland with no other reason to go there)

The ICA, Drink, and Menton.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
It's worth a look. I think they've struck the right balance for a wider audience than their typical one.

Honestly, Louis sounds doomed to me. I predict that they hold the line for another year, and then start chasing cheaper goods down the slippery slope before going bust.

- B

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They already lost their cachet by failing to extend their lease and by moving to the outskirts of civilization. I hope the RE deals their owner is making will be the payoff of this unfortunate departure.
For the Boston in general;no big whoop as long as EMS store is open on Boylston, the "fashion" crowd will have a place to meet.

horton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Honestly, Louis sounds doomed to me. I predict that they hold the line for another year, and then start chasing cheaper goods down the slippery slope before going bust.

- B

That could all prove true. But to be honest, the old building was looking frayed at the edges and everything east of it on Boylston is a dump now (weird if you think about it)

I think their "buy" was good for what they're trying to do, and the trick will be whether they can "buy" well enough and if they have enough clout to get Louis cuts the way they have in the past (e.g., their Brioni and Belvest were always slimmer and sharper than other competitors).

This is not the place to go for traditional suit and tie stuff any more.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
That could all prove true. But to be honest, the old building was looking frayed at the edges and everything east of it on Boylston is a dump now (weird if you think about it)

I think their "buy" was good for what they're trying to do, and the trick will be whether they can "buy" well enough and if they have enough clout to get Louis cuts the way they have in the past (e.g., their Brioni and Belvest were always slimmer and sharper than other competitors).

This is not the place to go for traditional suit and tie stuff any more.

Pearlstein's daughter is not the big thinker in the way that he was. Since she took the reigns, Louis has been tottering on the momentum of being the top of the luxe heap in Boston menswear. All her departures from the Murray ethos have been derivative of other stores, whether French, New York, or even up the block at Bilzerian.

If you had put Gary Drinkwater in charge of the the same legacy, maybe things would be different.

At any rate: some photos.

- B

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only walked in the old place a few times to look at various items and shudder at the prices. I was in there during the 75% clearance and still didn't buy anything.

there must be a niche for them to succeed by selling high quality $200 pants and $300 shirts, and given the state of the economy is probably easier to pull off with creative sourcing and design. basically, a higher end Epaulet, or a more nimble and unique Nordstrom

of course that all sounds well but success depends on implementation. I don't know nearly enough about their mgmt to hazard a guess wrt how capable they are these days

Hans

Reaction score
they are moving like 100 yards away

I know, but the new space is going to be much larger than their current "pop-up store". Or at least that's what they told me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads