• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Tailor.com review - my experience

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received my shirt today and have quite a few observations, most good, a few bad.

First - the good.

1. The quality of cotton was quite surprising. I was nervous about receiving a cheap, rigid cotton, but this is great. It's never going to be mistaken for a premium shirt, but for day to day wear it's right on par with mid-range.

2. They followed my instructions on button placement quite well. I ordered this for a summer wedding and will not be wearing a tie, so I wanted the second button to be quite high and included a reference picture - nailed perfectly.

3. Customer service and turnaround time. Coming from China, computer to doorstop was around a week. That's on par with things being shipped from Ohio at times.

4. Armholes are cut nice and high, per my request. I was worried about them leaving too much room and creating a gap.

The Bad -

1. They didn't follow my measurements exactly; the neck is a good half inch too big and the sleeves are about an inch too boxy. The sleeves aren't a big deal, it's just inconvenient to have to move 4 buttons over.

2. Additionally, there is more extra fabric in the stomach area than I like. I am a perfect fit into an Etro 38, though need a bit longer sleeves, and provided measurements of my best fitting shirt. So when the fit didn't mirror that, you can imagine my disappointment.

3. The back split is literally split. I was hoping for a flush back split without a seam line going through it.

All in all though, it's a pretty good experience for very little money out of pocket. I'll have to tweak my measurements on their site, since they do seem to allow for mistakes to be made. I'll definitely order from them again.

coltboy75

Reaction score
Originally Posted by usctrojans31
I received my shirt today and have quite a few observations, most good, a few bad.

First - the good.

1. The quality of cotton was quite surprising. I was nervous about receiving a cheap, rigid cotton, but this is great. It's never going to be mistaken for a premium shirt, but for day to day wear it's right on par with mid-range.

2. They followed my instructions on button placement quite well. I ordered this for a summer wedding and will not be wearing a tie, so I wanted the second button to be quite high and included a reference picture - nailed perfectly.

3. Customer service and turnaround time. Coming from China, computer to doorstop was around a week. That's on par with things being shipped from Ohio at times.

4. Armholes are cut nice and high, per my request. I was worried about them leaving too much room and creating a gap.

The Bad -

1. They didn't follow my measurements exactly; the neck is a good half inch too big and the sleeves are about an inch too boxy. The sleeves aren't a big deal, it's just inconvenient to have to move 4 buttons over.

2. Additionally, there is more extra fabric in the stomach area than I like. I am a perfect fit into an Etro 38, though need a bit longer sleeves, and provided measurements of my best fitting shirt. So when the fit didn't mirror that, you can imagine my disappointment.

3. The back split is literally split. I was hoping for a flush back split without a seam line going through it.

All in all though, it's a pretty good experience for very little money out of pocket. I'll have to tweak my measurements on their site, since they do seem to allow for mistakes to be made. I'll definitely order from them again.

I am interested in the back split seam you mentioned. I have had three shirts made from Modern Tailor, all before this option was available. I am looking to have several striped shirts made and I would like to know more about this design. Would you post pictures for us?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
most folks dont where to place the waist on a shirt. but this should be among your measurements.
hopefully your belt rides above your hip bones, thats your true waist.
place your tape measure on your neck bone. thats the prominent one at the top of the spine, and the bottom of the neck. extend the tape down to your waist.
that number is called your waist length.
be sure to give the tailor that measure. it will place the shirts waist at your waist.
getting the waist measure correct is another story.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are the pictures as asked. All are somewhat wrinkled as they were taken while still drying and pre-steamed.

1. Overhead shot of the back seams

100_0901.jpg

2. Close-up of seam

100_0903.jpg

3. Flat front back with striped shirt

100_0904.jpg

4. Flat front back with bold print

100_0905.jpg

The first two are my Modern Tailor shirt. The second one is Banana Republic and the third is Etro.

Obviously I don't expect a $50 Moden Tailor shirt to have the same workmanship as an Etro shirt. However, I do expect it to have the same, if not more, than a Banana Republic shirt.

Hope those help. In the future, I'd really hope that they are able to clean up the back splits to create a smooth back.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by usctrojans31
Obviously I don't expect a $50 Moden Tailor shirt to have the same workmanship as an Etro shirt. However, I do expect it to have the same, if not more, than a Banana Republic shirt.

Hope those help. In the future, I'd really hope that they are able to clean up the back splits to create a smooth back.

You asked for a split yoke... and you got it. Neither of the other shirts have a split yoke. That's not a fair comparison.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
You asked for a split yoke... and you got it. Neither of the other shirts have a split yoke. That's not a fair comparison.

+1
The whole point of a split yoke is that it's two parts joined by a seam. I don't believe a seam-less split yoke is possible, nor desirable.
I do find the execution in the first shirt a bit funny though, shouldn't the lines meet at an angle for better aesthetics ?

In related news, when I first ordered a split-yoke shirt from MT, they put the split-yoke on top of a single yoke, which was quite strange indeed. They kindly offered to remake the shirt. Has anybody else gotten such a dual-layer split yoke? just curious.

click here

Reaction score
Received my first order from modern tailor.
fit.jpg
How's the fit? I think they did a decent job...

LiverpoolFC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by click here

fit.jpg

Which collar is this? Cut away large?

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

fit.jpg

It looks good, looks like it may be a bit tight. Can you move around? Have you washed it yet? Did you send in shirt or body measurements?

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Shoulders a bit wide, chest too tight (but wash it a couple of times befor making any conclusions)

click here

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LiverpoolFC
Which collar is this? Cut away large?
It's the default one (classic medium)
Originally Posted by cross22
It looks good, looks like it may be a bit tight. Can you move around? Have you washed it yet? Did you send in shirt or body measurements?
Yeah, it looks a bit tight but I can move around with it no problem. But I haven't washed it yet so it might shrink. It could also look tight because I took those photo after I had dinner with a full stomach. The measurements are based on my best fitting shirt.
Originally Posted by CDFS
^Shoulders a bit wide, chest too tight (but wash it a couple of times befor making any conclusions)
I agree the shoulders look too wide, so I'll make sure I fix it for my next order. Thanks for the suggestion.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it looks a bit tight but I can move around with it no problem. But I haven't washed it yet so it might shrink. It could also look tight because I took those photo after I had dinner with a full stomach. The measurements are based on my best fitting shirt.

From what I understand their fabric is preshrunk so you should be OK there.

imwithtuxedo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cross22
From what I understand their fabric is preshrunk so you should be OK there.

Their shirts still shrink a small amount but they adjust for this when making the shirts.

mlongano

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I had a question for those of you who have received shirts from moderntailor.com.

I ordered one shirt from them last week. The status is shipped, and the tracking shows that it's in China still for the last two days.

My question:

Does the shipment receive a new tracking number after it reaches the US (UPS, FEDEX, etc.) or does the original tracking number continue until the package reaches its final destination?

Thanks in advance for your help.

coltboy75

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlongano
Hello everyone, I had a question for those of you who have received shirts from moderntailor.com.

I ordered one shirt from them last week. The status is shipped, and the tracking shows that it's in China still for the last two days.

My question:

Does the shipment receive a new tracking number after it reaches the US (UPS, FEDEX, etc.) or does the original tracking number continue until the package reaches its final destination?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Don't worry about it. By the time I figured it out, my shirt had arrived.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads