• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I have a particular feeling about that producer, since, as I understand it, they are just about the only ones who still produce a white which really requires a decade or more in the bottle. I figure it's only respectful to give it to them. Most of the time, I don't really care.

There are several white Burgs that need lots of time. And I can think of several CA chards that maybe don't "need" it but that benefit from it.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
There are several white Burgs that need lots of time. And I can think of several CA chards that maybe don't "need" it but that benefit from it.
Chablis, in my limited experience, needs a lot more time than C-M or P-M, and Raveneau generally needs much more than other Chablis. I don't like CA chards very much, so I have no idea. Anyway, you are right that there are others, but Raveneau unapologetically makes an old fashioned wine. If it weren't so expensive, I would buy a lot of it. I think you'd like it a lot.

joopie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Chablis, in my limited experience, needs a lot more time than C-M or P-M, and Raveneau generally needs much more than other Chablis. I don't like CA chards very much, so I have no idea.

Anyway, you are right that there are others, but Raveneau unapologetically makes an old fashioned wine. If it weren't so expensive, I would buy a lot of it. I think you'd like it a lot.

I estimate there to be around 30-40 bottles of that year from Raveneau in the cellar, so no problem tasting it once in a while, to see how it develops over the years.

Of course, we'll wait for a while with the Grand Cru "Les Clos".

BTW, a good wine is a good wine, whether it is young or old.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

Would be interested in learning a few of those CA Chards. Since trying that ME Chard last year, I have had a reawakening of my interest. I would also love to try a mature white Burg or Chablis, but that will have to wait until the fall.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok, I went back and got a half case of Potensac 2005.

Listening to the voice of reason can sometimes lead to madness.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joopie
Details on the Charmes-Chambertin? A lot depends on the producer.

FYI, 2002 is an excellent vintage for red burgundy, so it should have been great (depending on the producer of course).

Producer was Domaine Castagnier

Second night's wine was a bit of a disappointment. Had dinner at Il Gattopardo across from the MoMA. I was looking at a lower priced Barolo (still expensive) but the waiter steered us toward a Nebbiolo D`Alba "Hilberg" 2005. He described it as a "lighter" wine than the Barolo that wouldn't overpower the veal. The wine was interesting. It wasn't tasteless, which would have been the ultimate disappointment, but if the waiter was going for "lighter" he missed it by a good bit. This thing was a fruit bomb. It was moderately tannic and stood up pretty well with food. Perhaps I was comparing it too much to the wonderful Burgundy from the night before. At any rate, at a similar price point it just didn't compare well at all. Anyway, neither of us were particularly impressed with the selection.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
It wasn't tasteless, which would have been the ultimate disappointment, but if the waiter was going for "lighter" he missed it by a good bit. This thing was a fruit bomb.

His logic was correct, but the wine was not. Piedmont Nebbiolos in the style of California Zins are a great disappointment and a tragedy to the Italian wine world.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Just ordered three Larkmead Cab. Sauv, 2007. I'm not totally convinced yet, but I could see this becoming a break out Cab.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a weekend! Spent it with Chef Mike Symon working a couple of events he was holding for Calphalon.

Saturday night was bugers and wine and beer! There were three of his signature burgers the Fat Doug, which won some huge burger bash competition and that was paired with 2006 Pride Mountain Cab and the Great Lakes Edmund Fitz Porter. Next was just a classic cheeseburger, which was paired with the 2005 Red Car, Shake, Rattle, and Roll, Syrah and the Maibock Lager, Lastly was the spicier Yo-Burger, which was paired with two wines the 2006 Justin Vineyards, Isocolese Cab, The 2006 Hanzell's Chardonnay and two beers Sheet Metal and Hitachino both of which are Belgian Wit styled beers.

Sunday night brought us a Roasted Ribeye paired with the 2006 Almaviva Cab, Baked Shrimp with the Hanzell's Chard, a Pot Roast dish paired with the Red Car Syrah, a Butternut Squash Ravioli paired with the 2006 Demetria, "Cuvee Sandra" Sta. Rita Hills, Pinot Noir and finally the night was capped off with vanilla ice cream topped with freshly Pan Fried Pineappel and paired with the 2006 Chateua Roumieu-Lacoste Sauternes.

It was an amazing weekend albeit I'm not quite exhausted after the long hours but I have to say that the kitchen culture was a blast and being able to sit with the chefs around the prep table and sample some of the eats and vinos was great!

Sorry I don't have any photos...just wasn't anytime to take them
confused.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Very cool P&A; I'm jealous!

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A very lonely package arrived today. Wish I'd ordered two.
frown.gif

4b5967ab.jpg

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
ugh, the one that got away. Congrats on that one, do cellar for a long time.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
ugh, the one that got away. Congrats on that one, do cellar for a long time.

Not sure about that. Medium quality vintage. Could be ready in four. Might even be ready now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads