• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sneakers: PF Flyers v. Converse All Stars

docgerrard

Reaction score
I want to spend no more than $50 (that rules out the Cousy varieties of the PF Flyers) Which one should I get? I searched the forums and couldn't find a recent one on one comparison between the two. Also, are there any better recommendations? Finally, can I use either of these shoes as running shoes? That would be perfect because I also need a pair of running shoes. Thanks for your help! EDIT: I AM MOSTLY REFERRING TO THE CONVERSE ALL STAR CHUCK TAYLORS VS. PF FLYERS CENTER-HI I like these because they can take wear and tear and this doesn't detract from the look at all, just adds a bit of personality
smile.gif

alexwgoody

Reaction score
Finally, can I use either of these shoes as running shoes? That would be perfect because I also need a pair of running shoes.

[/quote]
Not a chance.

docgerrard

Reaction score
haha, yeah not sure, just kept seeing them marketed as athletic shoes and didn't really know what that meant

docgerrard

Reaction score
i guess one big thing is that converses are about 10 dollars cheaper.. are pf flyers different enough for this to be worth it?

i noticed that the flyers have a really thick looking bottom. does this look weird in real life? i haven't had a chance to compare them side by side yet

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by docgerrard
i guess one big thing is that converses are about 10 dollars cheaper.. are pf flyers different enough for this to be worth it?

i noticed that the flyers have a really thick looking bottom. does this look weird in real life? i haven't had a chance to compare them side by side yet

Yeah, it looks weird. Some of the pricier pf flyers kick ass, but the ones that are similar to converse are weird.

slipgun

Reaction score
PF Flyers look fine irl. I like the tractor tread ones personally and much prefer them to chucks, both lookswise and comfortwise. The insole helps a lot and they'd make better running shoes, but I can't say I recommend using them as such.

graphicd

Reaction score
6PM actually has really good pricing on PF Flyers. Most are under $40.

splattered

Reaction score
I have three pairs of PF cousy low in size US8 or US9 (forget) that im gonna sell for cheap, ive only worn em like 1-2 weeks. Navy, Red, and Black.

I like them just as much as chucks but they are diff... a lil more preppy i guess. Sorta like chucks vs purcells.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Another great ****** thread.

CrimProf

Reaction score
I wear the PF Flyers (bought for <$50 at 6pm.com). I've considered both, but the PFs I got had exactly the look I wanted and they're a very comfortable shoe.

I wouldn't use my PFs as both running shoes and casual shoes. They might work ok in a pinch as runners, not that I've ever tried them as such, but they look like they're designed as a court shoe (i.e., smooth tread). And running beats the **** out of my regular running shoes--not only just from the pounding on the air cushions and the tread wear, but also the accumulated grime, sweat, and other crap. I usually have to replace them every 3-6 months.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PF Flyers are miles better in the comfort department. For some of the Chuck Taylor clones it's pretty much your call because I wear the All-Americans and a lot of people talk about my fake Converse. But some of the higher end PF Flyers are actually really nice. Like this one
pf-flyers-albin-oiled-2.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads