• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was at Goodwill today in search of a sport coat. And just like others have been saying, tons of suit jackets being sold on their own. Two racks of mens suit jackets, maybe 4 or 5 full suits. I find it can be difficult trying to identify the suit jackets from the sport coats. That and trying to find the size of the jackets themselves (they're never in my size anyway). Saw a decent Zegna sport coat but in a much bigger size. The quality of the clothes at Goodwill is usually hit or miss.

One women who seemed to be scouring the isle was nice enough to offer up a whole suit, even though I wasn't looking for one.

tsaltzma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
Part of the problem is that the GW organization doesn't seem to understand that a suit jacket isn't a sport coat and suit trousers aren't just another pair of pants.

Lets be honest. 99%(+) of the population doesn't understand the difference between a suit jacket and a sportcoat or blazer. I will admit to this before arriving at SF. Now I have to chuckle every now and then when I see someone wearing a suit jacket with jeans. I never would have had a second thought about it before.

tsaltzma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mco543
I found a Louis Dell'Olio made in Italy light olive-ish suit for 2.00. It seemed relatively decent and just needs the pants hemmed. It's a 3 button, side vents, flat front pants, with a nice fit. Another thrift had a pair of Aldens that looked barely worn for $50.00 in my size but wasnt sure they were worth picking up although I might go back and grab them.

I'd pay $50 for a barely worn pair of Aldens if they were my size, in shell, or in any style I want. I see common shoes like loafers and PTB's all the time, but I have yet to find a pair of wingtips, longwings, boots, monks, etc.

GentlemanGeorge

Reaction score
Found this nicely tailored Balinese batik shirt a couple weeks ago and had to get it because it was brand new and the only thing worth anything I saw. Not really my style either, but the patterns I thought were beautiful and all carefully matched. What do you all think?
83f0f0e1.jpg

Can you find the pocket?
745571ac.jpg

mike540

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mco543
The thing that really gets me is when you see a suit at the thrift store that over time becomes a one piece and the pants, jacket, and/or vest go missing. My local Goodwill had a Dunhill 3 piece navy DB suit with gold buttons and over the course of a couple months the pants and vest both ended up disappearing by time the jacket was finally sold.

+1 I came real close to buying a beautiful Lou Myles navy suit, working cuffs etc at a GW a couple of weeks ago but ended up passing because it just needed too much alteration to work for me. Oddly enough, the jacket, minus the pants, and a bunch of other jackets from the original GW showed up at a differeent GW across town a few days later. That's the first time I've ever noticed them swapping stock around between the stores. Has anyone else run across this?

mike540

Reaction score
A few decent finds today. I went a little further afield than normal looking for a couple of things in particular. No luck with what I was looking for but picked up:
-an excellent condition Corneliani, navy with very subtle pinstripe, double breasted suit, $49.95. A little pricey for a "thrift store" but is spotless and needs zero alteration and I didn't have a double breasted suit.
-a Turnbull and Asser shirt, light blue, french cuff, mint $7.99
-a recent Zegna tie $3.99
-a Lou Myles navy, made in Italy, silk knit tie. I'd actually been looking for a nice navy knit tie for some time but had forgotten until I saw it.
All in all, a pretty good day with some very practical finds.

-Mike

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tsaltzma
Lets be honest. 99%(+) of the population doesn't understand ...

That's the escape clause I always use. My wardrobe is by no means world class but there's some decent enough Zegna, Oxxford, Corneliani, and Denmann & Goddard pieces in the mix. However, some the biggest compliments I've recieved this year were for a brown flannel 3/3 pinstiped suit with pleated pants - at least its side-vented and (machine) pick-stitched. The jacket is easily 1.5" too long to boot. It is a relic from my pre-SF, pre-thrift days. It's a Stafford! I thought I had donated it but came across it in a spare closet. The wife had bought it for me so when she saw it she "suggested" I wear it. Now it's back in the rotation. Seriously, everyone thought it was a new, high-end find. It actually sort of pissed me off after all the work I've put in to finding better stuff.

So, that's why I kept that Belvest suit coat and plan to wear it as a sportcoat: I'll be the pretty much the only one who knows the difference. Same goes for unvented suits, black shoes, pleated Zanellas, Armani + Boss suits and sportcoats, and ties wider than 3" (I stop at 3.75" now - even I have standards) that I find at thrift stores. I've learned a great deal about brands, fit, etc. from the Forum but I've learned to balance that with the real world. Hell, wearing a Thom Browne around here would be "liable to get you a whuppin".
laugh.gif

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of truth there, and I'm sure we all have stories like that. A recent example from my own life: with the frequent rain in northern Cal. this spring, I've received far more positive notice and comment on a pair of thrifted molded rubber LL Bean hunter's boots than on any of my other shoes--be they C&J's, Aldens, EG's, what have you.

tsaltzma

Reaction score
I feel like I stepped into the twilight zone. Yesterday I posted that I would pay $50(at a thrift) for a pair of Aldens in a style I would like, or in shell. Today, what do I find? Alden dark burgundy #994 saddle oxford, shell cordovan, in my size.
bounce2.gif
Now, if I find a pair of Alden shell longwings tomorrow, I am going to start posting a wishlist more often.
smile.gif
I also picked up a bunch of ties: 2 Talbott regimental Talbott flower tie Zegna 2 John Comforts BB madras Lands End plaid NWT Jcrew pocket square

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tsaltzma
... Today, what do I find? Alden dark burgundy #994 saddle oxford, shell cordovan, in my size.
bounce2.gif

worship.gif

Let me try: Tomorrow I will find a NWT Kiton suit for $15 at GW and it will have a note inside from Eva Mendez with her phone number saying she's tired of dating successful, wealthy, attractive men.

Wish me luck!

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been on a bit of a tear lately. I'm not going to go into the details, but in the past couple weeks I have found items ranging from shoes to sportcoats from the following makers: sulka, brioni, attolini, battistoni, gieves and hawkes, anderson & sheppard, gianni campagna, isaia, canali, and more... It's been glorious and has re-lit my fire.

Probably the most curious piece I found belonged to this guy:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/200...h_ruled_a.html
http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...nquiry/1036796

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Damn - that's an incredible stroke of luck! What Attolini piece did you find and what size? I love Attolini stuff but it's pretty obscure compared to other neapolitan labels, thus it's pretty hard to find?
Originally Posted by EBTX66
worship.gif
Let me try: Tomorrow I will find a NWT Kiton suit for $15 at GW and it will have a note inside from Eva Mendez with her phone number saying she's tired of dating successful, wealthy, attractive men. Wish me luck!

\t
fing02[1].gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads