• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aren't you bored yet?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Again, the key is that "dressing safely" is apparently less safe and less easy than you imagine.
How so? I'm tempted to give an example of how incredibly easy it can be, but, frankly, it will sound like I'm taking the mickey out of the Foo-drobe. But I could get by on two shades of gray trou, two sportcoats, a white shirt, a blue shirt, a pair of fiery chestnut longwings and a single black tie and look great every day. It's really almost agonizingly easy, if you let it be, which is why I sometimes wonder why people have so much trouble with it.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
It was really great how RJ brought a little FilmNoirBuff.com action to this thread. The answer might lie in the merger of all the Great Mens Clothing Fora into one, with Kabbaz at the helm. Will you join me in this dream? Will you? - B
smile.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
smile.gif

He's banned, and then people post how boring things are.

I'm not sure that there is a connection, but let's be open minded.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
It's really almost agonizingly easy, if you let it be, which is why I sometimes wonder why people have so much trouble with it.

Moreover, if you are handsome, you can get by in t-shirt and jeans, even non-Japanese jeans.

- B

Aluan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I am. Isn't anyone else? At a certain point, I have to believe one has finished learning most of what he needs to dress well and can move on with his life, without the need for continuous, focussed study. For the most part, personal style should be developed personally, no?
I feel bored, but not for the same reason. For me, it's that I've learned all I can for now and I'm just limited by money, experience, and wisdom.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mccvi
My experience of SF MC is that it is comprised of about 50% self referential, exhibitionistic displays of arcane knowledge proffered to fulfill masturbatory intellectual needs not fulfilled elsewhere (e.g. Manton), 40% desperate displays of solipsistic one upsmanship that serves to compensate for personal feelings of inadequacy and couched in luminescent snark so as to divert attention away from true feelings of emptiness and ennui (e.g., Vox), 10% genuinely helpful sartorial contributions served with heartening altruism (e.g., Doc), and 5% tangential one offs made by people who cannot even comply with or comprehend basic mathematics.

I fall into at least three of the aforementioned categories.

So, bored, not yet. I'm getting there though.

Originally Posted by TheRookie
I rarely post, but check the board from time to time when I have specific questions. I am certainly not bored with the wealth of knowledge available here. That said, the accumulation of garbage threads makes the search function less useful as time goes on. I wish there was a button that would prevent anyone but Manton from responding to a post with a substantive question in it.

From an outsider's perspective, the level of snark has increased to the point that it seems difficult for a newbie or casual poster with a serious question to get a legitimate answer. One of three things seems to happen: (1) "use the search function" and the thread dies; (2) the thread gets polluted with other peoples' inside jokes; or (3) relatively new posters parrot what they think they remember reading in other threads, sometimes accurately, sometimes not, but always with an inflated sense of superiority. If you have been a member here for two or three years and you have 10,000+ posts, of course you are bored. Most of us allegedly have jobs that are time consuming. If you still find time to post that much, you are ignoring (or lack) the social aspect of your life.

On a more positive note, the members have a wide range of knowledge and interests (cookbooks? got it, architecture? got it), B&S can be very good, people post neat pictures, and the class of especially helpful posters makes wading through the detritus worthwhile.

Originally Posted by Hehlol
It's rich watching a bunch of people who try so hard to be 'classy adults' on the Internet act exactly the way children would when criticized. A new poster said something about the community being tasteless and now the community's actions have basically proven him correct. It's amazing how you guys do it and still believe yourselves so refined.

Styleforum is a great place to come to learn about brands and quality and options, but it isn't a place to come about actual style. Use the forum for what you can, for some people it's posting in threads about all the new stuff they bought on credit, for others, it's reading about what others bought, learning about these items and investigating based on their own taste.

- B

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps Mr Foo, your joy now will come from teaching others and seeing their skills develop?

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
We're all men between 20 and 40, upper-middle class to wealthy, occidental, well-educated and well-employed (or on our way).

I've spent some time thinking about whether you meant occidental the mind set or occidental the genetics- can't be the latter, and the former is... interesting.

Originally Posted by George
Niall Ferguson? I've just finished reading one of his. The Ascent of Money. I remember him as a research fellow. He was making quite a name for himself then as well.

He's good reading, but his points always seem to sound better than they really are.

Originally Posted by Geoff Gander
I'm bored, but not with the forvm. My boredom can only be cured by:

b.) a tan linen suit

worship.gif

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It still remains a great resource for those of us without brilliant imaginations, or the funds for Rubinacci styling advice, to see combinations that work and don't work.

Mafoofan strikes me as a bit of a relentless perfectionist who loses interest in the subject once he has reached a certain degree of mastery. What to do? You can either impart wisdom to help others along this perilous journey, or find another, more difficult skill to master - cooking, for example. I heard the French Culinary Institute comes highly recommended.

EBugatti

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
As a newer participant, I can say that the WAYWRN thread is occasionally diverting... SF-group think aside, I see that there is a spectrum of revered looks:

Olddog-----------Holdfast----------MoK--------Gnatty---------NiiDawg-------Foo/Vox-------Cravate-------PG

(Super full cut)---------------------------------------(slim cut)----------------------------------------(ultra tailored)

(and of course the many other great posters that pepper the line). Hence it is not all about 2" cuffs and knit ties. It is how many gentlemen out there want to dress, and perhaps convince others that their personal style works.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There have been a couple of references to FNB … whom I have come to miss. Of course, my own one-on-one SF experience of FNB was not perhaps as rough-and-tumble as the experiences of certain others. I know some SF members feel very differently … and I respect that.

FNB certainly wasn’t fond of my style of dress (well, one of them ... A&S comes to mind) … and was very outspoken about his feelings. Even so, I never felt truly insulted by him. I fondly remember the time he referred to my manner of dress as an anachronism. I responded with some comment about the Concorde having been an anachronism. He retorted suggesting my style was more akin to the Spruce Goose. I thought I was going to die laughing ... because in a way ... he was right.

In his dealing with me -- and I’m speaking only from my own experience -- more often than not he seemed rather good-natured … albeit with a sharp snarky side. Of course, I've been told that I'm a tad naive about these things. It’s even been suggested that I often miss the blatant insult that is lobbed my or another’s way. Maybe so ... maybe not. But the way I look at it ... if it's naivety ... please don’t enlighten me too much.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Moreover, if you are handsome, you can get by in t-shirt and jeans...
... or naked, even.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads