• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
I'd serve a dry Riesling with it. That should have just enough sugar to meld with the inherent sweetness of liver without being too oaky.

Originally Posted by gomestar
tricky, maybe an Alsatian Pinot Gris or a dry riesling?

Originally Posted by Huntsman
I'm certain this is too late. I would say you need a Sauvignon without the gooseberryishness. In other words, a nice Gruner.

Had a Saint-Aubin Premier Cru from Colin-Morey. Went very well the the super traditional Burgundian dish.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I recall foie, but not the Moscato and foie. And I also remember of the 10 or 11 or 12 or whatever wines you had, only 2 were from the US

That's some crazy ass memory you've got.

Got the prices from the somm today. 07 Silex for $78, 07 Pur Sang for $65, and 07 Pouilly Fume for $45. I'm thinking of doing one of each, to be enjoyed relatively soon, then maybe going back for a second of whichever I liked best.
Any thoughts?

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ladouys.jpg
Medoc $35 60% Cabernet Sauvignon 35% Merlot 5% Cabernet Franc Gorgeous colour with a little rustic nose. Hints of oak (but not too much), dark fruit, and an interesting minerality that gave the rustic 'flavour'. Not Brueghel rustic, but more a youthful, country vigour. Luscious and tactile in the swirl, acid and tannins in fair structure and balance, with the tannins giving a slightly dry finish on the back end. A very pleasant wine to drink in the company of a beautiful woman and paired with ComptÃ
00a9.png
and Montgomery Cheddar on Carr's water biscuits.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in the LCBO and was faced with a wall of Italian reds. I wanted to grab one for dinner last night but was overwhelmed by my lack of knowledge and courage, let alone the grapes and appelations. The thread recommended (Johnny and Gome, I think) Le Volte. Only the 2007 was available, which by all accounts here was inferior to the '06. I still enjoyed it but did not rock my socks, although the rec was very much appreciated. My only other Italians since we began drinking wine regularly were some Ripassos and an inexpensive Tedeschi Amarone, which, with the requisite 72,000 hour decant, was very nice. As such, if anybody can be arsed, would you be so kind to recommend some Italians that we can get in the LCBO that would come in between $25-50 (I know a good Amarone will be more expensive). It would be very much appreciated. Anything you think balanced that interests you would be great. I have been boning up on terms such as Piedmont, Nebbiolo, Sangiovese, Super Tuscan, Veneto, Chianti Classico, etc. Only 30,000 words to go. Cheers, a

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers, bud. Will do. Much appreciated. I'm just lost where Italians are concerned. Looking to begin my education.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Had a Saint-Aubin Premier Cru from Colin-Morey. Went very well the the super traditional Burgundian dish.

Very nice wine, I've had a few vintages of St. Aubin from this producer. Excellent value as well.

Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Any thoughts?

No need to think. Brilliant prices.

Originally Posted by audiophilia
As such, if anybody can be arsed, would you be so kind to recommend some Italians that we can get in the LCBO that would come in between $25-50 (I know a good Amarone will be more expensive). It would be very much appreciated. Anything you think balanced that interests you would be great.

I have been boning up on terms such as Piedmont, Nebbiolo, Sangiovese, Super Tuscan, Veneto, Chianti Classico, etc. Only 30,000 words to go. Cheers, a

I'll check through it later and see what's up.

Originally Posted by Cary Grant
It's an 04, which many said would not be a great year... but some of these have really come on, and for the price. Worth a shot.

2004 is a magnificent year in Tuscany! Among the very best in the past 15-20 years.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Six, 08 DuMOL pending delivery. Three RRV PN and three RRV Syrah. I suspect you Euro-philes would like DuMOL. Six pack of Kosta-Browne shipping Monday
smile.gif
So sad I won't be able to share this with friends/family in Ontario, as Vintages has squat of good Left Coast wine.
frown.gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
It is hard to go wrong with wine from the same region as your meal.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

2004 is a magnificent year in Tuscany! Among the very best in the past 15-20 years.

Agreed - many thought the brunello's would be a miss compared to the previous couple of years and in comparison to the late 90's - but I've had a couple of truly remarkable bottles.

I didn't sse much on that site that I knew all that well and some of it was pretty average.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Audio,

I picked a few that have great value and that I particularly enjoy.

Castello Romitorio Morellino di Scansano 2007
This particular wine drinks rather well young. Morellino is a Sangiovese based wine from a village in the south of Tuscany called Scansano. Drinks particularly well young.

Ruffino Modus 2006. This is a really nice Tuscan blend mostly Sangiovese with some cabernet and merlot. Give it a good decant.

Pio Cesare Barbera D'alba. Barbera D'alba is a fantastic food wine, and the varietal is one of the most planted in Italy. This particular Barbera comes from Piedmont (the same region where white truffles come from) and Pio Cesare is a very well respected producer who puts out some great Barbaresco and Barolo. This also got 92 points from Wine Spectator.

Campaccio Terrabianca 2004
A blend of 70% Sangiovese and 30% Merlot. 2004 was a great vintage in Italy. 91 points Antonio Galloni.

Vinchio-Vaglio Serra Barbaresco 2003

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many thanks, Johnny. With CGs and yours (and hopefully some Gomepicks), they should keep me going for a while.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Will post more later but had an amazing dinner last night at the River Cafe in Brooklyn. First course was Fois Gras Two Ways paired with Nicolas Reserve Sauternes. Un-freaking-believable pairing. Had the rack of lamb for dinner. Sommelier was very helpful. We wound up selecting a 2002 Charmes-Chamberlain (Grand Cru) burgundy in honor of Manton. Wow! What a nice wine.

More later!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads