• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Can somebody help me? I am serving, this evening, a chicken liver and marrow flan with a tomato cream for a main dish. It is an old fashioned recipe, and I have no idea what to serve with it. The flan is super delicate, so nothing overpowering.

Thanks.

tricky, maybe an Alsatian Pinot Gris or a dry riesling?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I rethought. I agreed at first but think they are indeed interesting. As good as the nobles though?

who is comparing it to the nobles?

kaiserkarl

Reaction score
gomestar you nailed it! cotes du rhone is what i associated with that chilean cab taste for its minerality. thanks man!

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
tonight will be a little Cava with some flounder.

And I also picked up some of the '08 Merry Edwards Sauv Blanc. I'll give it a go when my cold subsides.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Can somebody help me? I am serving, this evening, a chicken liver and marrow flan with a tomato cream for a main dish. It is an old fashioned recipe, and I have no idea what to serve with it. The flan is super delicate, so nothing overpowering. Thanks.
I'm certain this is too late. I would say you need a Sauvignon without the gooseberryishness. In other words, a nice Gruner.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
who is comparing it to the nobles?

Me
smile.gif

I think Italian wines still have much of the variety and incredible history going that many French wines, while historic by New World standards, have given up v. Old World standards. I find the Italians incredibly interesting but really have yet to be moved by one of them like a great PN or CS.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Me
smile.gif

I think Italian wines still have much of the variety and incredible history going that many French wines, while historic by New World standards, have given up v. Old World standards. I find the Italians incredibly interesting but really have yet to be moved by one of them like a great PN or CS.

then don't compare then to "the nobles". I don't. And, not meant as a jab or anything, but you can't be moved by something you don't try (and a Moscato, the last Italian you posted about, isn't a wine meant to move people)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
then don't compare then to "the nobles". I don't. And, not meant as a jab or anything, but you can't be moved by something you don't try (and a Moscato, the last Italian you posted about, isn't a wine meant to move people)

Are you Italo-stalking me?
laugh.gif
I don't remember the last Eye-tie and will take your word for it.

Now you have me wanting to grab a mature Eye-tie and drinking it.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Are you Italo-stalking me?
laugh.gif
I don't remember the last Eye-tie and will take your word for it.

Now you have me wanting to grab a mature Eye-tie and drinking it.

I have a very odd memory, sometimes it remembers ridiculous things. You had it as part of the tasting menu at Cyrus.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I have a very odd memory, sometimes it remembers ridiculous things. You had it as part of the tasting menu at Cyrus.

worship.gif

With foie?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
worship.gif

With foie?

I recall foie, but not the Moscato and foie. And I also remember of the 10 or 11 or 12 or whatever wines you had, only 2 were from the US

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Watching a Jancis Robinson DVD and there's a big segment with Didier.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
tonight will be a little Cava with some flounder.

And I also picked up some of the '08 Merry Edwards Sauv Blanc. I'll give it a go when my cold subsides.

Missed this. What year ME? 08? Interested to hear your opinion of it.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Watching a Jancis Robinson DVD and there's a big segment with Didier.

yes, notice that ridiculous hunk of meat he cooks for her. This used to be on youtube, but sadly it no longer is (else I would have posted it months ago)

Missed this. What year ME? 08? Interested to hear your opinion of it.

'08. We'll see when this cold I have goes away, it's only fair.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
yes, notice that ridiculous hunk of meat he cooks for her. This used to be on youtube, but sadly it no longer is (else I would have posted it months ago)

'08. We'll see when this cold I have goes away, it's only fair.

Yup, that's the clip. However, she did admit she had finally tasted an incredible SB.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads