• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend me an English grammar

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
I'm looking for something that's clear and concise that I can use to learn all of the stuff that I ignored in school. I want to learn about clauses and **** like that. I may even be willing to diagram a few sentences. Any recommendations?

It's not exactly an exciting read, but it remains the gold standard of grammar texts: http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Engl...d_bxgy_b_img_c

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
I'm looking for something that's clear and concise that I can use to learn all of the stuff that I ignored in school. I want to learn about clauses and **** like that. I may even be willing to diagram a few sentences. Any recommendations?

I'll ignore the obvious syntax problems and informal question LOL
I highly recommend the Purdue University English Department's website. I am a student of a different university and I still use Purdue's English Dept site. Best part of the site is that it is free.

Also, what type of English you are interested in is important.
Traditional English (like high school) use the MLA style of English
Journalistic English use the APA stylebook
Scientific, use...well you get the idea.

Hope this helps!

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
It's not exactly an exciting read, but it remains the gold standard of grammar texts: http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Engl...d_bxgy_b_img_c
Usage isn't really my problem.
Originally Posted by M. Bardamu
Strunk & White?
I have that. I'm not looking for a style guide. I just want to learn more about sentence structure, parts of speech, etc.
Originally Posted by cahlersmeyer
I'll ignore the obvious syntax problems and informal question LOL
Yes, it's hilarious that you ignored my informal question and syntax problems. It's also hilarious that you ignored the content of my post. I'm not writing a ******* essay. I want to learn about sentences. If I asked how to build my own house would you recommend me a coffee table book on the architecture of Colonial America?

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Usage isn't really my problem.

Don't let the title fool you. This is the standard grammar text for most ESL teacher-training courses. It cover just about everything in great depth - including your sentence structures and clauses.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
Don't let the title fool you. This is the standard grammar text for most ESL teacher-training courses. It cover just about everything in great depth - including your sentence structures and clauses.

Ok, thanks. I'll check it out.
smile.gif

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Hey thanks for being a fan of my post, there, Jekyll.
wink.gif

I would like, if I may be so bold, append a request that is somehow connected to this topic: I would be looking for a good 'standard' (medium sized) etymological dictionary of the English language, any good suggestions in this department would be most welcome...

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fowler's also used to be a good and useful book. You might have to get a few editions ago to find the best analysis, though.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PM lasbar

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The thread title is a joke because of the subject, right?

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Barron's as an aid for learning languages and although the books are very small, it might be sufficient for the concise description of the parts of speech, sentence structure, etc that you are looking for. I'm not sure if they published English editions but give it a shot.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My bible:
Michael Swan, Practical English Usage, OUP

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads