• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MLB 2009 - 2010 Season Thread

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i will bet a ball that reyes' thyroid issue is due to gh and t3.

I said it last year and I'll say it this year. Blow....this....team....up, and start over. Trade everyone not named Wright...yes that includes Reyes.

Originally Posted by kwiteaboy
The Royals are in stiff competition with the Mets for "worst-run organization in professional sports", but I think the Royals are winning.

Two words, Pittsburgh Pirates.

BossTweed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Mets: $1,419,000 per win
Royals: $883,000 per win

Don't like the logic. Certainly there is increasing marginal cost of wins.

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
Two words, Pittsburgh Pirates.

The Pirates have some reason for hope with Huntington. Very small, but some.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwiteaboy
The Pirates have some reason for hope with Huntington. Very small, but some.

They have a decent core. I would say Doumit and McCutchen (Andrew) look really good, but the sleeper is Garrett Jones. He's going to have a monster year.

I just meant regarding worst run franchises.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BossTweed
Don't like the logic. Certainly there is increasing marginal cost of wins.

A better metric might be comparing payroll rank vs. regular season wins rank, but that makes the Mets' ineptitude even more lopsided.

BossTweed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
A better metric might be comparing payroll rank vs. regular season wins rank, but that makes the Mets' ineptitude even more lopsided.
As it should be. I couldn't stand the Red Sox until they won the WS for one reason. The Yankees spent 3x as much as the average team, but at least they were winning. The Red Sox spent 2x as much, but they couldn't win; it's like they sucked at cheating. The Mets find themselves in similar circumstances.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BossTweed
As it should be. I couldn't stand the Red Sox until they won the WS for one reason. The Yankees spent 3x as much as the average team, but at least they were winning. The Red Sox spent 2x as much, but they couldn't win; it's like they sucked at cheating. The Mets find themselves in similar circumstances.
yeah the sawx of the late 90's early 2000's were just sad. they'd sign someone big that was actually worth it then skimp on the the complimentary players that mattered. then they'd make some sort of reactionary signing (for a washed up star) and overpay and then act cheap again. yup... just like the recent mets. the phillies had a chance to be the best national league team... ever (over 3 years at least)... if they just spend 10M more per year and kept Lee. if anything the phillies should of learned from the last WS that if they had that 2nd ace it would of made a world of difference. the two ace system with that offense would of been sick.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
yeah the sawx of the late 90's early 2000's were just sad. they'd sign someone big that was actually worth it then skimp on the the complimentary players that mattered. then they'd make some sort of reactionary signing (for a washed up star) and overpay and then act cheap again. yup... just like the recent mets.

the phillies had a chance to be the best national league team... ever (over 3 years at least)... if they just spend 10M more per year and kept Lee.

if anything the phillies should of learned from the last WS that if they had that 2nd ace it would of made a world of difference.

the two ace system with that offense would of been sick.

They can always get one mid-season like last year.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Twins are looking at making Liriano the closer. He's just about to enter Kerry Wood territory.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
^That actually might not be a horrible idea.

Yeah but still sad to see guys that can be so dominant side tracked by numerous injuries that hamper their whole careers. Him, Harden, Zumaya, Wood, etc.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BDC2823
Yeah but still sad to see guys that can be so dominant side tracked by numerous injuries that hamper their whole careers. Him, Harden, Zumaya, Wood, etc.

Better than flipping burgers.

I like Liriano at closer, but that would leave a gap in the rotation they need to fill.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
mets opening day lineup makes the royals and pirates laugh. pagan, castillo, cora, murphy, etc. good stuff. pitching is solid too. a former #1 and 4 #5s.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I highly doubt this would happen, but a Howard for Pujols deal would be an absolute boon for the Cardinals.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...ujolsforhoward

This same thing was talked about 50 years ago. It was Williams for DiMaggio. That trade too went nowhere.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Isn't St. Louis loaded this year and the clear favorite in the NL Central? I guess Howard is younger, so you could have him longer even though Pujols is better, but I don't think you should do anything to make your team worse tomorrow in the hopes that it pays off 5 years from now if you're already in position to get another ring today.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads