• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J.Crew consensus

Bellison

Reaction score
What is the general consensus on J.Crew? Do you like it? Do you think it's good quality for the money? What about all the new partnerships with companies like Red Wing? Alden? Ray-Ban?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I buy their chinos and shirts for casual wear. Not the greatest quality but good enough, given their prices, for casual wear.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good stuff for casual wear. Great value if you can find it on sale.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most everything I have is casual wear. I tend to get it because it fits me well. I have several pairs of the slim fit chinos and cords that I wear all the time and they have held up quite well. T shirts, sweaters, polos all good. I like that they have no external branding. I also think some of the collaborations have been pretty good.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
Most everything I have is casual wear. I tend to get it because it fits me well. I have several pairs of the slim fit chinos and cords that I wear all the time and they have held up quite well. T shirts, sweaters, polos all good. I like that they have no external branding. I also think some of the collaborations have been pretty good.

This guy wrote my response before I could write it myself.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to go to jcrew a few yes back and not find anything that fit me well. But, over the last year I've noticed a huge transformation in overall quality and fit. Further, I think they've blown by A&F, BR, and gap in terms of quality offerings. Combine that with their quality partnerships, and they've made huge strides over the last couple yra, IMO.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
their cashmere sweaters are great. I think they still have an extra 30% off sale now, you can pick up some great staple vneck and crewneck 100% cashmeres for $69. Cant beat that for the weekend.

Blackat

Reaction score
To keep their prices down, they've really let quality slip over the years. The same can be said for Banana Republic. etc.

nringo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackat
To keep their prices down, they've really let quality slip over the years. The same can be said for Banana Republic. etc.

I think they had; but with some of their recent offerings they're definitely upping the quality. I received a ludlow tweed blazer as a gift and its very nice. Feels half-canvased and is a nice fit.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
This guy wrote my response before I could write it myself.

Glad to be of help.

JackM

Reaction score
I definitely like some of their shirts for casual wear, so with the student discount it's worth it for me, and I spend the extra money taking in the waist and sleeves, since they tend to run a little large on me (as does everything OTR).

tcnjbanker123

Reaction score
I have several great pairs of shorts and chinos from J. Crew, and the timex watch looks great

Bellison

Reaction score
anything that you guys think J.Crew could do better on? It seems like their quality is still not very high. But I guess you can't expect much given the prices.

cheyrou

Reaction score
J.Crew is pretty cool, they overhauled their asthetic a couple years back going from absurdly preppy to a bit more trendy. From what I've heard the quality has dropped slightly along with prices. I will say this, their prewashed vintage style oxfords are some of my favorite shirts. I have like six and they keep getting better with time. I own a piar of their chinos, their made well but they are a little too baggy for me.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good for casual wear, great when on deep discount. Which apparently happens often enough for me.

Bad for serious business wear. But good for those college kids who have no idea what real suiting is all about and need some sort of transition into the adult clothing world.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads