• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm Becoming a Self-Loathing Vegetarian

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Lately, after meals heavy in animal protein, I've had really horrible stomach aches. Not anything I feel is worth getting checked out by a doctor, but bad cramps and just general pain. Also some very strange bowel movements.
My father said the same thing happened to him thirty years ago, and he decided to try a vegetarian diet for a month. He said he never felt better intestinally. Now, if he even gets a small amount of meat in his system, he gets crazy sick. Last time someone gave him a soup with bacon in it and he had to have his stomach pumped. For some reason, he can eat eggs just fine.
So he thinks I should try going vegetarian for a while and seeing how I feel afterward. Which is sad for me b/c I've spent my whole life making fun of him for being a vegetarian, and I love food.
frown.gif

It looks like I'll be trying to eat vegetarian for a couple of weeks and then re-evaluating things. Maybe I'll end up eating very small amounts of meat, but mostly veg. I don't know for sure.

This makes me sad.
Any advice? hoss?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i've been eating basically only protein (chicken and tuna) this week and that was my diet for two weeks a week ago.

no bowel problems for me and i pooed pretty decently.

maybe its not the meat?

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kwilk, that's sad news in view of your love of food.

Have you:

1. tried eating smaller portions of meat?
2. compared the effects of different meats?
3. had the same problem with poultry?
4. had the same problem with fish?
5. had this problem with foods involving meat stocks?

Perhaps you just need a break from major carnivorous dining and will be able to get back to minor carnivorous dining later.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about you see a doctor instead of asking us?
smile.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by philosophe
Kwilk, that's sad news in view of your love of food.

Have you:

1. tried eating smaller portions of meat?
2. compared the effects of different meats?
3. had the same problem with poultry?
4. had the same problem with fish?
5. had this problem with foods involving meat stocks?

Perhaps you just need a break from major carnivorous dining and will be able to get back to minor carnivorous dining later.

This is actually what I'm hoping. Maybe a week or two off of carnivorous food will help me out. My diet the last few months has been mainly protein. It happens with beef, lamb, pork, and chicken. Fish is generally okay, and eggs haven't seemed to bother me. Meat stocks don't really seem to do much.
It just seems weird. This has been happening for a long while, maybe a year or so. At first it was small and almost unnoticeable. It has been slowly increasing and over the last two months has gotten to the point where I'm beginning to think I need to change something.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
How about you see a doctor instead of asking us?
smile.gif

I assumed most people on SF knew more about anatomy and physiology than doctors. Not really. I just don't have health insurance and don't really have any extra money to pay for a checkup.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I assumed most people on SF knew more about anatomy and physiology than doctors.

The average SFer has never seen an anatomy up close in the whole 16 years of their life. I'd put my money on the doctor.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's with people's obsessions with extremes? You said you ate too many heavy meals. How about you just cut down on the meat instead of going to the opposite extreme?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
What's with people's obsessions with extremes? You said you ate too many heavy meals. How about you just cut down on the meat instead of going to the opposite extreme?

What's with misreading my words? Jesus, buddy. I said I was going to try this for a couple weeks and then reevaluate things. I didn't say I would never touch meat again in my life.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I suggest a trou normand.

This would require me to actually eat in courses, rather than one meal a day. But if you provide the calvados, I'm in.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is actually what I'm hoping. Maybe a week or two off of carnivorous food will help me out. My diet the last few months has been mainly protein. It happens with beef, lamb, pork, and chicken. Fish is generally okay, and eggs haven't seemed to bother me. Meat stocks don't really seem to do much. It just seems weird. This has been happening for a long while, maybe a year or so. At first it was small and almost unnoticeable. It has been slowly increasing and over the last two months has gotten to the point where I'm beginning to think I need to change something.
That's what happened to me with dairy. At least giving up butter, cream, etc. was good for my waistline. If I were you, I'd really up the veggies, fruit, and whole grains in my diet, and I'd switch to fish for animal protein for a few weeks. Then I'd gradually try reintroducing small quantities of meat. You are fortunate that stocks are OK. Chickpeas taste great cooked in lamb stock. Much as I agree with GDL's remarks above, I think that it is reasonable in your case to try changing your diet before running to the doctor. If, however, you are having a lot or pain or other well-known symptoms of real GI problems (e.g. blood in your stool), see a physician asap.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I suggest a trou normand.

I have no idea what this is, but it sounds like a frenchified name for something edmorel might be expert in.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could have some inability to secrete sufficient amounts of proteases (enzymes that break apart proteins into amino acids). There are a few different ones the body uses (trypsin, pepsin, and one or two others) which either come from the pancreas or the cells in the stomach itself. It could also be an oversecretion of pepsin (or some other reaction to it) caused by the higher acidity needed for the enzyme to activate.

Try eating a large amount protein from a food that doesn't upset your stomach and see what happens (like eating a carton of egg whites or a few packs of tofu or something). Do this on an empty stomach, then do it as part of a normal starch-containing meal.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So he thinks I should try going vegetarian for a while and seeing how I feel afterward. Which is sad for me b/c I've spent my whole life making fun of him for being a vegetarian, and I love food.
frown.gif

Sounds like you had it coming
musicboohoo[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads