• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vazfinest1
What do you all think about these suede Johnson and Murphy Oxfords I found on ebay? Are these an authentic pair of shoes because I have never seen this particular model from Johnson and Murphy. Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I'm sure they're authentic, could be deadstock from a few years ago. Brands like J&M release so many different variations of the same last.

Also, the seller's feedback is good and they accept returns, so give 'em a shot. Not my style but they look nice regardless.

click here

Reaction score
Would wearing a knit tie with a suit jacket look weird? Because I heard they are more suited for a blazer or sports jacket.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
I don't care for it myself, but if you look on the WAYWRN thread, there are some pictures of people who make it look pretty nice. They seem a bit less dressy than other ties to me.

EZ

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by click here
Would wearing a knit tie with a suit jacket look weird? Because I heard they are more suited for a blazer or sports jacket.

No, would not do it. If you really try, you can wear it with odd jacket & dress pants, but the tie needs to be quite conservative (avoid horizontal stripes). For example, this is how Vox did it

759016118_uMmfL-L.jpg

DrPat

Reaction score
I would like to get a blue shirt to go with this charcoal suit and these two ties. The tie on the left is maroon with white dots arranged in a diamond pattern. The tie on the right is maroon with navy, white, and light blue stripes.
boggi_tie.jpg

I've picked out a few options (shown below). Any opinion on these or other suggestions.
white_dream_blue_check.png
open_ocean.png
calm_water.png
ballard_blue.png

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what should I expect to pay to get shoes resoled at a local, high quality cobbler?

topy'ed?

resoled with a composite/rubber sole?

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrPat
I would like to get a blue shirt to go with this charcoal suit and these two ties. The tie on the left is maroon with white dots arranged in a diamond pattern. The tie on the right is maroon with navy, white, and light blue stripes.
boggi_tie.jpg

I've picked out a few options (shown below). Any opinion on these or other suggestions.
white_dream_blue_check.png
open_ocean.png
calm_water.png
ballard_blue.png

For the dotted tie I would do the middle one on the top row, for the slanted stripe tie I would do a plain white shirt, but MAYBE the one on the left of the top row (thats a tough call, It might be one of those situations where you have to see the whole suit put together to determine how it looks).

Hope this helps.

pdxpdx

Reaction score
Noob suit critique. How does this fit? I got this suit kicked down to me. I realize the shoulders need to come in and the jacket shortened but is it worth going to the tailor (I don't mind putting a little money into it if it is worth it)? The material is super 120's and seems to be made ok. The pants seem to fit but how about the coat? If it can be fixed anybody know a good tailor in Portland? Thanks.

http://img3.imageshack.us/i/img0784y.jpg/
http://img138.imageshack.us/i/img0783b.jpg/
http://img8.imageshack.us/i/img0782d.jpg/
http://img192.imageshack.us/i/img0778g.jpg/

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pdxpdx
Noob suit critique. How does this fit? I got this suit kicked down to me. I realize the shoulders need to come in and the jacket shortened but is it worth going to the tailor (I don't mind putting a little money into it if it is worth it)? The material is super 120's and seems to be made ok. The pants seem to fit but how about the coat? If it can be fixed anybody know a good tailor in Portland? Thanks.

http://img3.imageshack.us/i/img0784y.jpg/
http://img138.imageshack.us/i/img0783b.jpg/
http://img8.imageshack.us/i/img0782d.jpg/
http://img192.imageshack.us/i/img0778g.jpg/

For some reason I can't see the pictures when I click on them. Just get the white box with a red x through it...

Abraham Lee in Portland is one of the better tailors in town.
4511 Northeast M L King Boulevard
(503) 223-0504

I've had some work done at the Alteration Station, kittycorner from downtown Nordstrom to the Northwest (in the basement.) I've been happy, but it's been minor work - basic hemming.

Mario's can point you to a good tailor if you check there.

EZ

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrPat
number one is a nice shirt, but maybe not with those ties. number two is a no no IMO at least for suit and tie number three is a bit tricky but can look good if done right. could be a little "flashy" number four is probably your safest bet. Conservative, but your ties are already saying something.
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
what should I expect to pay to get shoes resoled at a local, high quality cobbler? topy'ed? resoled with a composite/rubber sole?
I can only tell you that for me Topy-ing cost me about $25-30 Canadian and I think that's pretty standard. don't know about resoling, sorry.
I'd say overall it's mediocre, a 7.5/10 and if you wanted to tailor it it could become a 8.5. I think the shoulders are a little too big and wide, hence the bumps along your shoulders. Looks a tad long but acceptable, sleeves are ok, pants are ok... I can't speak to your situation. If you need a suit just occasionally and this will pass with a bit of work then sure, take it. If you're doing rounds of interviews and need to look great then you could buy one. I would think of cleaning up the back and trying to maybe pull in the shoulders a bit and keep it to that. A small facelift, not reconstructive surgery. Keep it under $100 and i'd say sure. more then that and I'd suggest saving it for a new one instead. Just my $0.2, others may have different opinions.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I'd say overall it's mediocre, a 7.5/10 and if you wanted to tailor it it could become a 8.5.
I think the shoulders are a little too big and wide, hence the bumps along your shoulders. Looks a tad long but acceptable, sleeves are ok, pants are ok...
I can't speak to your situation. If you need a suit just occasionally and this will pass with a bit of work then sure, take it. If you're doing rounds of interviews and need to look great then you could buy one.
I would think of cleaning up the back and trying to maybe pull in the shoulders a bit and keep it to that. A small facelift, not reconstructive surgery. Keep it under $100 and i'd say sure. more then that and I'd suggest saving it for a new one instead.
Just my $0.2, others may have different opinions.

The shoulders are definitely too wide. Changing the shoulder width is not a simple alteration. It's closer to recutting the jacket and unlikely to be done well or be worth the expense. I would save my money for a new suit that fit properly rather than put money into that one that will never fit well.

AE7

Reaction score
I have Irish Linen Baldessarini suit - the jacket seems to be longer than regular wool suit jackets by 2 inches - is it supposed to be this way as to accomodate creases?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads