• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conne's food log

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I should probably start drinking protein shakes.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Well then what the **** am I supposed to do for protein? Eat 5 chicken breasts every hour?
8 slices of farmed raised cow turned lean roast beef has 24 grams of protein and a hint of fat at 120 calories. No prep, goes great with 1 oz blue cheese (6 grams of protein and another 120 calories) and a half cup of raspberries (approximately 1 oz at 30 calories) . 1 cup of nonfat, unflavored yogurt has 8 grams of protein at 90 calories. Goes great with 1 oz (1/2 cup) blueberries (about 40 calories), 2 tbsp of wheat germ (4 grams of protein and 50 calories), and a half cup of your choice of granola (200-300 calories with 5-12 grams of protein). ^^The great thing about both of those is that it's a lot of food with a lot of flavor. It's also fairly cheap and fits in a dorm fridge, and requires no cooking. There are tons of other similar things. Make pico de gallo (I use a $14 blender that i got for protein shakes) with your favorite ingredients and keep it in a container. Then cut up some shrimp or chicken. If you're feeling hungry, toss a cup of both in a bowl and add flavor as necessary. I also posted a pretty delicious tuna salad recipe (no mayo) in a thread that I made a while back in Social Life Food and Drink. Filling, delicious, loaded with protein, and fairly calorie light.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would gladly eat tuna basically every day but I am worried about the mercury. Is that warranted?

Thanks for lean roast beef suggestion. Is that the same as the "lean roast beef" at a supermarket deli? Or is that just a marketing gimmick?

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would gladly eat tuna basically every day but I am worried about the mercury. Is that warranted? Thanks for lean roast beef suggestion. Is that the same as the "lean roast beef" at a supermarket deli? Or is that just a marketing gimmick?
I honestly have no clue. You can substitute chicken or turkey if you're worried about it. I just find that roast beef goes with blue cheese better than any bird. I still haven't opened my pack of gouda yet, which will be another experiment. Which reminds me- another nice thing about this is that it's fairly easy on the wallet. I spend about 75 every 2 weeks on food, while enjoying everything I eat. I don't think that mercury poising is something to worry about, but it may be a YMMV sort of deal. I went on a cut with it last year where both lunch and dinner were a salad, olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and tuna in water or sunflower seed oil. It lasted about a month, and I went through 72 packs. No major problems outside of my piss smelling like tuna. If you just use the tuna salad for lunch one week that you're board *edit- bored* of deli meat, then it shouldn't be a problem. It would be 7 packs of tuna in a week if you were going to town on the stuff, which is damn near impossible because it gets old fast (not in the sense of not lasting- it was "safe" for atleast 2 weeks). Edit: A cup of wheaties with a cup of nonfat milk is 200 calories and 12 grams of protein. Double that up and you've got a monstrously filling breakfast that is zero effort and has plenty of protein.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like my eggs for breakfast but don't they have a lot of saturated fat? I may have to cut them out too.
frown.gif

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like my eggs for breakfast but don't they have a lot of saturated fat? I may have to cut them out too.
frown.gif

Have one egg with 2 added parts egg white.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
frown.gif

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!! It's a well balanced (you'll get plenty of carbs through the day, so we aren't worried about that) food that you enjoy! That's the biggest thing. My big mistake that resulted in me losing a 6 pack for pudge was going on cut, only to return to awful eating habits. 3 eggsForgot about the fried/scrambled thing, so let's make it 3: approx 18 grams of protein, 22 grams of fat, and 300 calories. Assuming that you're eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner, while leaving room to snack, 3 meals a day at 400-500 calories will still result in weight loss without you being miserable, or even unsatiated. That's another 150-250 calories worth of flavor for breakfast with those eggs. Veggies, cheese, meat, tortillas- take your pick. You could prepare a batch of migas for the week to microwave at breakfast using amazing delicious ingredients, and still be below maintenance. If you include exercise in the whole deal, you're set, and without feeling like ****. Edit: This is what you could be cutting out: 1 slice toast w/peanut butter: -do you really like the toast with peanut butter? If it's just a filler, there are better tasting things for breakfast (see migas) Peanut butter and jam on multigrain -same thing. How much do you like it? Handful of organic tortilla chips w/ Newman's salsa (pretty good btw) -You really don't like this. I promise you. It's flavor + carb cravings. A green tomatillo salsa is incredibly easy to make and goes on anything- including tostadas, which you should be making yourself if you're really going to be eating chips. PowerBar Protein Plus (working out shortly) -People have already bitched about this, but it ****************. You don't enjoy this one either. It's like me eating a pop tart. It's gross, but it has sugar, so I don't want to stop Some more chips and salsa -Those are some damn good chips, huh? Have you ever had tomato or cucumber slices with any sort of basic seasoning? A sprinkle of salt and pepper, or maybe garlic salt, or Tony's creole? It's good.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!

It's a well balanced (you'll get plenty of carbs through the day, so we aren't worried about that) food that you enjoy! That's the biggest thing. My big mistake that resulted in me losing a 6 pack for pudge was going on cut, only to return to awful eating habits.

4 eggs: approx 22 grams of protein, 16 grams of fat, and 240 calories. Assuming that you're eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner, while leaving room to snack, 3 meals a day at 400-500 calories will still result in weight loss without you being miserable, or even unsatiated. That's another 150-250 calories worth of flavor for breakfast with those eggs. Veggies, cheese, meat, tortillas- take your pick. You could prepare a batch of migas for the week to microwave at breakfast using amazing delicious ingredients, and still be below maintenance. If you include exercise in the whole deal, you're set, and without feeling like ****.

I have heard that the impact on "bad" cholesterol from eggs is overstated.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I have heard that the impact on "bad" cholesterol from eggs is overstated.
I've been told that dietary cholesterol doesn't really matter when it comes to your body's numbers. I don't have the background to confirm or deny. My whole point is that it really doesn't matter as long as he's not miserable and not a fat bastard (which leads to misery I hear). I'll let Why weigh in on the consequences of the particulars, but if Conne is mixing it up, some fat and cholesterol in the morning (hopefully) won't kill him. Edit: another good snack is a boiled egg (if you like them). Also, for dinner- a spinach salad with chicken or boiled eggs, some nuts (almond slices, crumbled pistachios, walnuts- take your pick), crumbled blue cheese, berries (strawberries are the best) and a light citrus dressing make for a damn good meal. If you feel the need to have something blatantly useless, tasteless, and carb loaded use some of the quakers flavored oatmeal. It's more filling and has more flavor than chips. It also hits the sweet tooth better than any piece of fruit ever will.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
You could always refer to the myriad of topics asking for answers to such questions that you started: 6/12/2007: I'm getting fat 12/19/2007: Starting a diet. Foods to avoid 12/19/2008: Help me with exercise/eating plan 10/29/2009: What should I/shouldn't I be eating? Quotes from the original post of these threads: And from the first post of this thread: Are you noticing any patterns? You've been trying to lose "10 pounds" for nearly THREE years. You don't have the excuse of not knowing what exercises to do or a guideline of foods you should probably be eating or not eating. You've started multiple threads explicitly asking these things. And people have explicitly answered these things. The guideposts of diet and exercise have not changed in three years. And clearly, neither has your personal approach to either. Please listen to some of these people and show some discipline so we don't need to read about you trying to lose these same damn pounds in September. I've struggled with weight loss in the past. You get to a point where you need to evaluate what you're doing and be real with yourself about what is and isn't working, even if that means weeding out some of your "comforts." If you aren't willing to do that, then accept your body for what it is and stop wasting everyone's time. Your posting history suggests you're going to keep posing these same questions in the hopes that eventually, someone will tell you that you can lose those 10 pounds by drinking booze, eating chocolate desserts every day, and doing no real exercise. Go re-read those threads you started and quit acting so aloof about what you should be eating.
Oh ****, you are a stalker who hates Conne too? I was accused of stalking him when I said this same exact thing like two days ago. Watch out! He may get sassy with you. We aren't supposed to point out that Conne is immune to good advice, and that he keeps asking these threads so that he can feel like he "tried" without actually doing anything that is going to help him lose weight. Upon examination of his diet, you'll notice that he's still likely consuming more calories than he's expending every day. Breakfast = 3 eggs (fried or scrambled) 276 calories (189 from fat) 210% of your daily cholesterol. 1 slice of toast 69 calories peanut butter 2 tablespoons (creamy?) 192 calories. (151 from fat) That is a 537 calorie breakfast with 340 calories of that coming from fat. Your weight is between 160 and 170lbs, so to burn off your calories from breakfast, you would have to: Run 12 minute miles (5 mph) for an hour on a treadmill. Push mow a lawn (not with a power lawnmower) for 80 minutes Shovel snow by hand for 75 minutes or have five and a half hours of sex...
laugh.gif

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Breakfast =
3 eggs (fried or scrambled) 276 calories (189 from fat) 210% of your daily cholesterol.
1 slice of toast 69 calories
peanut butter 2 tablespoons (creamy?) 192 calories. (151 from fat)

That is a 537 calorie breakfast with 340 calories of that coming from fat.

Your weight is between 160 and 170lbs, so to burn off your calories from breakfast, you would have to:

Run 12 minute miles (5 mph) for an hour on a treadmill.

Push mow a lawn (not with a power lawnmower) for 80 minutes

Shovel snow by hand for 75 minutes

or have five and a half hours of sex...
laugh.gif

Or he could watch the rest of his meals and still come in at a deficit? I guess that I'm not jaded yet?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Or he could watch the rest of his meals and still come in at a deficit? I guess that I'm not jaded yet?

But he's not watching the rest of his meals. He's not watching anything because he doesn't listen to anyone when they tell him he needs to be at a calorie defecit.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
NO NO NO NO NO!!!!! It's a well balanced (you'll get plenty of carbs through the day, so we aren't worried about that) food that you enjoy! That's the biggest thing. My big mistake that resulted in me losing a 6 pack for pudge was going on cut, only to return to awful eating habits. 3 eggsForgot about the fried/scrambled thing, so let's make it 3: approx 18 grams of protein, 22 grams of fat, and 300 calories. Assuming that you're eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner, while leaving room to snack, 3 meals a day at 400-500 calories will still result in weight loss without you being miserable, or even unsatiated. That's another 150-250 calories worth of flavor for breakfast with those eggs. Veggies, cheese, meat, tortillas- take your pick. You could prepare a batch of migas for the week to microwave at breakfast using amazing delicious ingredients, and still be below maintenance. If you include exercise in the whole deal, you're set, and without feeling like ****. Edit: This is what you could be cutting out: 1 slice toast w/peanut butter: -do you really like the toast with peanut butter? If it's just a filler, there are better tasting things for breakfast (see migas) Peanut butter and jam on multigrain -same thing. How much do you like it? Handful of organic tortilla chips w/ Newman's salsa (pretty good btw) -You really don't like this. I promise you. It's flavor + carb cravings. A green tomatillo salsa is incredibly easy to make and goes on anything- including tostadas, which you should be making yourself if you're really going to be eating chips. PowerBar Protein Plus (working out shortly) -People have already bitched about this, but it ****************. You don't enjoy this one either. It's like me eating a pop tart. It's gross, but it has sugar, so I don't want to stop Some more chips and salsa -Those are some damn good chips, huh? Have you ever had tomato or cucumber slices with any sort of basic seasoning? A sprinkle of salt and pepper, or maybe garlic salt, or Tony's creole? It's good.
You're right about the chips, toast, PB&J. I guess they really doesn't taste like anything special. Slim, I have trouble with this because I've obviously been eating poorly for years and making a reversal is not all that easy.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You don't really have to eat "better" you just have to eat "less". (that's only been said about 300 times to you so far, just in case anyone is keeping track)

Limiting yourself to 1300-1500 calories a day is hard for about 3-4 days. Then you don't notice. It takes an awareness of what you are eating and how many calories are in it, and some willpower. You don't really need our help with the first one. And we can't really help you with the second one.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're fine, Mike. Unless "a handful" of chips means a bag, or you were really generous on olive oil/peanut butter, you probably turned in a calorie deficit for the day. More likely if the "workout" burns enough calories, of course.

My only recommendations would be to (1) pick up running (most efficient way to burn calories) and (2) get more protein in your diet. Being fit is not rocket science, nor should it be.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads