• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Fred Constant

Reaction score
I live in the Netherlands, but I am considering to spend a few years in the Caribbean. I have no idea what kind of horrors my shoes will encounter over there. I have approximately 30 pairs, mainly Crockett and Jones' (both handgrade and benchgrade, some suede) and Santoni shoes. Will they survive the tropics or should I leave them at home?

Enforcicon

Reaction score
I am looking for a new suit. My budget puts me in the sub $1000 range, so I went to Nordstrom today on my lunch break to do some browsing. The sales manager recommended a suit by "joseph abboud." The fit seemed nice enough (much better than the Hugo Boss suits they had). Can anyone speak to the quality of this brand? I know that for under a grand I shouldn't expect perfection, but I also don't want to waste money on poor quality.

[Edit: I am in the Orange County, Ca Region, just for reference about my options for where to shop.]

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Enforcicon
I am looking for a new suit. My budget puts me in the sub $1000 range, so I went to Nordstrom today on my lunch break to do some browsing. The sales manager recommended a suit by "joseph abboud." The fit seemed nice enough (much better than the Hugo Boss suits they had). Can anyone speak to the quality of this brand? I know that for under a grand I shouldn't expect perfection, but I also don't want to waste money on poor quality.

[Edit: I am in the Orange County, Ca Region, just for reference about my options for where to shop.]

Don't. Spending money on Joseph Abbound is a waste of money. For under a grand you can find extremely nice suits here on B&S. Try Ralph Lauren or Brooks Brothers.

Enforcicon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Don't. Spending money on Joseph Abbound is a waste of money. For under a grand you can find extremely nice suits here on B&S. Try Ralph Lauren or Brooks Brothers.

Thanks. I'm pretty new to the forum. I'm not familiar with B&S. Could you elaborate?

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fred Constant
I live in the Netherlands, but I am considering to spend a few years in the Caribbean. I have no idea what kind of horrors my shoes will encounter over there. I have approximately 30 pairs, mainly Crockett and Jones' (both handgrade and benchgrade, some suede) and Santoni shoes. Will they survive the tropics or should I leave them at home?

Should be fine as long as you keep up on taking care of them. Also, I would imagine using shoe trees after every use is an absolute must in that kind of climate.

Enforcicon

Reaction score
It's the Buying & Selling subforum (http://www.styleforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20), most often time you can find the best deals here (it takes time though depends on your size and availability)

Oh awesome! I didn't know that existed. I will definitely take a look there.
On a related note, I have a new Hugo Boss that doesn't fit properly which I got from Nordstrom about 8 months ago when I knew nothing about style/fit. (Neither did the kid salesperson). I know Nordstrom has a very liberal exchange policy, (but I lost the receipt so no refund) so I at least want to get something that fits. I paid about $800 for the Hugo, does Nordstrom have any suits that aren't garbage?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Enforcicon
Oh awesome! I didn't know that existed. I will definitely take a look there.
On a related note, I have a new Hugo Boss that doesn't fit properly which I got from Nordstrom about 8 months ago when I knew nothing about style/fit. (Neither did the kid salesperson). I know Nordstrom has a very liberal exchange policy, (but I lost the receipt so no refund) so I at least want to get something that fits. I paid about $800 for the Hugo, does Nordstrom have any suits that aren't garbage?

I don't often shop at Nordstrom so I can't tell what they have.

However, for your Hugo Boss suit, try to bring it back to Nordstrom, they might still refund you without the receipt (as long as the tag is intact). It's depended on the SA's discretion, but you can always try another SA, or another Nordstrom
wink.gif

Enforcicon

Reaction score
I don't often shop at Nordstrom so I can't tell what they have. However, for your Hugo Boss suit, try to bring it back to Nordstrom, they might still refund you without the receipt (as long as the tag is intact). It's depended on the SA's discretion, but you can always try another SA, or another Nordstrom
wink.gif

Good point. I'm bummed that I didn't realize the error sooner. My wife and I have a roommate who just got laid off from Nordstrom, and she would have taken it back. Hmm...she worked in the kids department, but maybe she would know who would be mostly likely to accept a return sans receipt.
biggrin.gif

Lustre

Reaction score
Just a quick question regarding shirts: where is the shoulder seam supposed to fall for a nice fit? And are measurements for shoulder width on shirts measured straight across? I tried searching for it with various key words, but I didn't find what I was looking for. I would be very thankful for an answer.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lustre
Just a quick question regarding shirts: where is the shoulder seam supposed to fall for a nice fit? And are measurements for shoulder width on shirts measured straight across? I tried searching for it with various key words, but I didn't find what I was looking for. I would be very thankful for an answer.
IMO shoulder seams should fall just at the edge of the shoulder, I prefer a little narrower rather then longer as wider makes you look "droopy" and hte shirt oversized. Measurements are done with teh shirt laying flat buttoned up across the shoulders edge to edge. There's probably a guide online somewhere, just google "shirt measuring guide" or something. Edit, oops, this info is mostly for suits: Here, watch this - http://www.gq.com/video?videoID=42971935001 basically it's somewhat a matter of personal preference and need and styling. Some people like "structured" heavy thick shoulders that stick out a bit while others like "natural" short shoulders that are unpadded and curve to the body. I like my shoulder seam to fall just narrower then my shoulder. check the what are you wearing today pics for ideas on fit. to measure, lay the garment flat, measure basically across shoulder to shoulder. again, there's probably a guide or video somewhere but I don't know where.

Trungtastic

Reaction score
I have a pair of shoes that are just slightly too big. If I wear two pairs of socks, it fits fine, which i've been doing during the winter. Is there anyway to make them fit without wearing two pairs of socks? Insoles? Tongue pad? Or am I just fooling myself?

Lustre

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
IMO shoulder seams should fall just at the edge of the shoulder, I prefer a little narrower rather then longer as wider makes you look "droopy" and hte shirt oversized.
Measurements are done with teh shirt laying flat buttoned up across the shoulders edge to edge. There's probably a guide online somewhere, just google "shirt measuring guide" or something.

Thanks, that's just what I need.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trungtastic
I have a pair of shoes that are just slightly too big. If I wear two pairs of socks, it fits fine, which i've been doing during the winter. Is there anyway to make them fit without wearing two pairs of socks? Insoles? Tongue pad? Or am I just fooling myself?

Either Tongue pads or insoles work well. I personally choose tongue pads since they're hidden (that's the sole reason).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads