• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What type of beer for beer bread?

mrpologuy

Reaction score
My mom gave me a bottle with dough in it to make beer batter bread. What type of beer will give it a good flavor? I was thinking some type of ale. What do you guys think?

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL...I got the same thing. (amber harvest mills?)

I'm gonna use some homebrew. Ive got a really big IPA I made a few months ago. I'd use any ale: stout, porter, PA, IPA, belgian. The more flavor the better.

mrpologuy

Reaction score
Yes. mine is the same that you got. What a trip!!!

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saison Dupont has worked very well for me in the past for nice rustic bread to go with stinky cheese
smile.gif

dmiranda91

Reaction score
Have you to try to search in some site that they have to offer a bread recipe like that. However, try to in some bake shop and ask them what type of beer can be use in beer bread. SEO Services

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guinness.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't even tell if that was a spam revival or what...

Personally, whenever I make beer bread, I go with something cheap. I used to be partial to a can of old style before they changed the recipe (have not made beer bread from it since then so I dunno...).

Whenever I have made it with nicer beers, I don't notice any improvement (or it comes out worse). Its like cooking brats in beer...not a place to waste good beer. Drink the good beer and make bread out of the can of high life that has been stuck in the back of your fridge for 3 months because nobody wants to drink it.

I like beer bread as a gift though...Fill a ziplock bag with your preferred recipe and instructions and give it to someone...if you *really* like them, you can give them the beer too

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I generally make it with a honey wheat and I add some honey to the top a few minutes before it's done cooking.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
I can't even tell if that was a spam revival or what...

Personally, whenever I make beer bread, I go with something cheap. I used to be partial to a can of old style before they changed the recipe (have not made beer bread from it since then so I dunno...).

Whenever I have made it with nicer beers, I don't notice any improvement (or it comes out worse). Its like cooking brats in beer...not a place to waste good beer. Drink the good beer and make bread out of the can of high life that has been stuck in the back of your fridge for 3 months because nobody wants to drink it.

I like beer bread as a gift though...Fill a ziplock bag with your preferred recipe and instructions and give it to someone...if you *really* like them, you can give them the beer too

meh like wine, I prefer to cook with a beer I like to drink...Im a homebrewer so I usually have 10-30 gallons of beer in my house, 1 pint I won't miss.
eh.gif

Funny I got another quick beer bread this year but this ones in a flower pot haha Mom gifts

Kris

Reaction score
Some relatively cheap, malty, not-hoppy, on the darker side. Like brown ales, stouts, porters, etc.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by underwearer
meh like wine, I prefer to cook with a beer I like to drink...Im a homebrewer so I usually have 10-30 gallons of beer in my house, 1 pint I won't miss.
eh.gif

Funny I got another quick beer bread this year but this ones in a flower pot haha Mom gifts

As I said, its not just that I think you should save the better beer for drinking, but I actually think it can come off worse when you use something better. You already have other ingredients, maybe it is better to use the beer option that is closest to water
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Kris
Some relatively cheap, malty, not-hoppy, on the darker side. Like brown ales, stouts, porters, etc.

I think that might be the key. These days it seems like so many "nicer" beers are all about the hops content. I don't want bitter bread...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads