• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many meters did you row/erg today?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
wmmk's the man
fing02[1].gif
My finger is slowly, slowly healing...but by the time it fully heals I'll probably be spending spring and summer on the track.
decisions.gif

Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
Again, very cool. When I was at my peak I was 6'2" 175lb very similar to you. And my first tryout was much the same. It was pretty much a test of physical ability. After a 3 mile warm up our coach gave us a mile at race pace, then 60 seconds to do as many pushups as possible, then 60 seconds for max situps, then max burpees, then pull ups to max. Maybe 2 mins rest between. It was a **** show When I came on in college I was lucky to be invited to tryout with no HS experience. I made my name in tryouts by not giving a damn that everyone else was a rower already. The underdog mentality was a ridiculous fuel. If you appreciated my support already, know this, the mental fortitude I gained from rowing (both by myself and with a team) is one of the greatest strengths I've ever gained. It never gets easier, you only go faster
smile.gif

Originally Posted by CDFS
Much improvement here. Good work!
Thanks to all you guys. The encouragement means a lot, coming from you guys. And rj, the aspect of mental perseverance in crew is really appealing to me. Anyway, last night: 60 mins. in tanks 12 x 1 min., 1 min. rest. Held a 1:44.5 for the first 7 pieces, then had 1:44.7, 1:44.9, 1:44.3, 1:44.1, 1:41.3 15 mins. body circuit Tonight 6 x 5. min, 5 min. rest. 1:48.9, ~1:49, ~1:52, 1:54 (stopped short of 5 min. to use inhaler,
ffffuuuu.gif
), 1:49.1, 1:51.6 3 mile run @ 29 mins., through snow & slush, 37 degrees Stretch At home, I rolled out my muscles and was putting bengay on my quads and inner thighs, but apparently wasn't careful enough with that. The pain of misplaced bengay cream makes all the erg pieces seem pansy-ish.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Misplaced bengay or iceyhot can be bad news bears for sure
ffffuuuu.gif

amnesiac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
^^ Misplaced bengay or iceyhot can be bad news bears for sure
ffffuuuu.gif

You should use arnica gel instead of bengay. it's homeopathic but i've found it to work better than bengay without teh crotch
ffffuuuu.gif

i've got a pretty nasty cold.

5 min warmup
2 min @ 2:00
3 min @ 2:13
2min @ 2:00
3 min @ 2:15
2 min @ 1:58
2 min @ 2:15
1000m @ 2:00
5 min easy

I kind of made up my own ~30min interval workout to makeup for not running tuesday/wednesday because this sinus congestion sucks.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2K in 7:40

Lawl for most of you, but for me that is personal best. Remember that I am a musician. Then lifting and hour swim.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thursday night: 60 mins. in tanks--rowed starboard (I'm usually port); it felt interesting 6x1250m: 1:48, 1:51, 1:53, 1:49, 1:51, 1:47 15 min. core circuit Last night: 20 mins erg at 2:04 overall--50 secs. steady-state, 10 secs. sprint, 40/20, 30/2:30, repeat 30 mins. bike 20 mins. core/body circuit This morning: 20 mins bike 2k @ 7:04. First time I've ever pulled a 2k on a C2 . Felt awesome. Rosters get emailed out tonight.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
2k @ 7:04. First time I've ever pulled a 2k on a C2 . Felt awesome.

With your stature and practice, sub-7:00 is approaching quickly.

amnesiac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
With your stature and practice, sub-7:00 is approaching quickly.

truth. hope you get in. it'll only be tons of pain once you're on the team, but it's so worth it every time you win a race.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I made it. This'll be a helluva season.

Amnesiac, do you know anyone who rows for the CU lightweights? I wonder what kind of times they pull?

amnesiac

Reaction score
I made it. This'll be a helluva season.

Amnesiac, do you know anyone who rows for the CU lightweights? I wonder what kind of times they pull?

I'll ask around, I'm taking a rowing phys ed right now.

There's also a history of people who don't get recruited and just walk on to the team freshman year. They'll take a lot of people as long as you keep showing up, and a bunch drop off, and others stay on but never really get to do much.

You still planning on visiting at some point?

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thursday night:
60 mins. in tanks--rowed starboard (I'm usually port); it felt interesting
6x1250m: 1:48, 1:51, 1:53, 1:49, 1:51, 1:47
15 min. core circuit

Last night:
20 mins erg at 2:04 overall--50 secs. steady-state, 10 secs. sprint, 40/20, 30/2:30, repeat
30 mins. bike
20 mins. core/body circuit

This morning:
20 mins bike
2k @ 7:04. First time I've ever pulled a 2k on a C2 . Felt awesome.

Rosters get emailed out tonight.

Not bad. Are you trying out for the heavy weight class?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a novice now , and there are no weight divisions for novices. My racing weight will be hovering around 165, which makes me a heavyweight for high school and puts me within 5 # of college lightweight rowing.

Anyway, tonight was:
1 mile warmup on the track
First-night-of-practice talk w/ coach
4 mile run outside @ ~8-min. pace
20-min. body circuit
15-min. erg piece at 1:58. I was pissed. Felt I should've gone faster.
Try on uniforms

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a novice now , and there are no weight divisions for novices. My racing weight will be hovering around 165, which makes me a heavyweight for high school and puts me within 5 # of college lightweight rowing.

Anyway, tonight was:
1 mile warmup on the track
First-night-of-practice talk w/ coach
4 mile run outside @ ~8-min. pace
20-min. body circuit
15-min. erg piece at 1:58. I was pissed. Felt I should've gone faster.
Try on uniforms

Ok, I was wondering because you seem close to the cut off point and in earlier posted pictures looked like a light weight more than a heavy weight.

Those trainings seem excessive. I would think it no wonder the erg piece to be slower than expected. Good luck.

amnesiac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
Ok, I was wondering because you seem close to the cut off point and in earlier posted pictures looked like a light weight more than a heavy weight. Those trainings seem excessive. I would think it no wonder the erg piece to be slower than expected. Good luck.
Crew coaches have a penchant for sadism. Also, you usually go really hard the first weeks of the season to shock people into better shape and to weed out the less committed. Getting over a cold and a hard run in central park saturday and yesterday. I'm trying to get back in shape in a big way/training for a 5k. On the erg 10 min jog 15 min @ 2:10 warmup 5 min @ 2:00 build 1 min on/1 min light row x 10 @ 1:52 avg 15 min cool down @ 2:30
laugh.gif
I was actually really surprised how much my running has improved my erg time given that I've only been running for a month now after not doing any exercise for a semester or so. Still nowhere near where I used to be in high school even
ffffuuuu.gif
but i'm on my way.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
What resistance(s) are you all using?

Originally Posted by why
It depends on the person. Use the drag factor sensor (it's under 'Additional Tools' or something on the PM3) and get as range of around 110-140. Do a few tests to see which setting seems to be smoothest and produces the best times. A lot of people will yank on it at 10 for 500m and think that's their best setting (after all, we're all Hercules) but they're drained and can't finish a 2K.

I use setting 6-7, but my Concept2 in my gym is different from yours in your gym -- a lot of variables affect the flywheel resistance.

(I usually have a drag factor between 120-130.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads