• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

Cavalier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragonxking
dita-2009-spring-summer-statesman-04.jpg

Looking for a semi-rimless square (more square than rectangle) frame like the one pictured above (dita statesman).
Oh, and without the $500 price tag
smile.gif

these are amazing--- did you find anything similar for less? I love these so much but also can't spend that money

dragonxking

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cavalier
these are amazing--- did you find anything similar for less? I love these so much but also can't spend that money

I did find a similar frame made by SEE eyewear, model 2170
http://seeeyewear.com/

Strombollii

Reaction score
I ran a forum search and a thread search and the one thread I found was pretty useless:

Anyone have any experience with Warby Parker? Their frames look good and are pretty cheap ($95, including lenses, though they're probably ****: I haven't checked), and they have a "try on" service via mail order, so they're sort of an attractive choice.

http://www.warbyparker.com/Mens-Collection

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Strombollii
I ran a forum search and a thread search and the one thread I found was pretty useless:

Anyone have any experience with Warby Parker? Their frames look good and are pretty cheap ($95, including lenses, though they're probably ****: I haven't checked), and they have a "try on" service via mail order, so they're sort of an attractive choice.

http://www.warbyparker.com/Mens-Collection

I do not have any experience with them. BUT for their price and style, it is not bad. I dont know what kind of material they use but the price seems reasonable IF they are acetate frames. If they are using inferior materials, I wouldnt even look at them. But their style is basically the same as any other company riding the "vintage/retro boat". But for that price, that is reasonable.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samuelcpaul
The way you provided the information about your thoughts were fabulous..!! And the rules you have given were also so good to accept..!! Sam..
They are not RULES per se and I didn't want to sound rude. It's just that I put a lot of time and effort into answering questions, so I figure the person asking the questions could take 2 mins to do a search. I can say that MOST of my posts on SF are about eyewear. I asked a question about denim once and got burned about asking a newbie question. hahahaha.... I am by no means a know-it-all, because simply put, I don't know everything BUT I do have the means to find answers to questions. Also, I do not know all of the "boutique" (read "overpriced") lines but I try my best to educate myself. Thanks for the support though, I really appreciate it.

Strombollii

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
They are not RULES per se and I didn't want to sound rude. It's just that I put a lot of time and effort into answering questions, so I figure the person asking the questions could take 2 mins to do a search. I can say that MOST of my posts on SF are about eyewear. I asked a question about denim once and got burned about asking a newbie question. hahahaha....

I am by no means a know-it-all, because simply put, I don't know everything BUT I do have the means to find answers to questions. Also, I do not know all of the "boutique" (read "overpriced") lines but I try my best to educate myself.

Thanks for the support though, I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately, I think the guy's an intelligent spambot, but we do appreciate the help.

Originally Posted by CityConnection
I do not have any experience with them. BUT for their price and style, it is not bad. I dont know what kind of material they use but the price seems reasonable IF they are acetate frames. If they are using inferior materials, I wouldnt even look at them. But their style is basically the same as any other company riding the "vintage/retro boat". But for that price, that is reasonable.

The faq just said that all frames are made of cellulose acetate. i presume this is what I'm looking for?
Thanks again

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Strombollii

The faq just said that all frames are made of cellulose acetate. i presume this is what I'm looking for?
Thanks again

There are different qualities of cellulose acetate and but more importantly how they are finished. Like anything else, there are good ones and bad ones but IMO, the finish and attention to detail is what makes or breaks a frame. Did they use good hinges or are they flimsy? Are the joints where 2 pieces of acetate were fused together flat and straight or can you see a small reflection in the light? Does temples line up perfectly to the frame? Are the hinges flush with the frame. Just small things like that. Don't get me wrong, sometimes there are small things that are not perfect, but that is what makes a great frame stand out from the average frames. But most importantly, you have to like them. Even if others think you got ripped off, if you are happy, nothing else matters really...

Let us know how the frames turn out.

Sedig

Reaction score
Because I live in a rural area, I am unable to handle the frames I am trying to purchase beforehand. I do, however, plan to order them without prescription lenses to ensure that I am happy with the product before committing.

The MOSCOT Nebb frame is offered in two sizes: 45/22 and 48/22. My own PD is 60. Using what I've read in your thread I tried to run the calculation myself--I think the 45/22 puts the center of the frame 2.5 mm away from my pupils.

I hope to get confirmation from you before I placed the initial order: would the 45/22 be the proper frame?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sedig
Because I live in a rural area, I am unable to handle the frames I am trying to purchase beforehand. I do, however, plan to order them without prescription lenses to ensure that I am happy with the product before committing.

The MOSCOT Nebb frame is offered in two sizes: 45/22 and 48/22. My own PD is 60. Using what I've read in your thread I tried to run the calculation myself--I think the 45/22 puts the center of the frame 2.5 mm away from my pupils.

I hope to get confirmation from you before I placed the initial order: would the 45/22 be the proper frame?

Ideally for thinner lenses you are correct. BUT how large is your head? Is it going to look proportionate to the size of your head or are you going to look like you're wearing a kids frame? Compare it to something that you have, or another frame that you have access to in order to make sure that you fit well...

uvmboi13

Reaction score
CityConnection, Can you tell me what model these are? I saw them once at a store and just realized I must have them for chemistry lab.
Picture%202_0_1.png

Sedig

Reaction score
I measured the frames I have now--they come out to about 48/19, but they are wire-rimmed, while the MOSCOTS are thicker acetate. The numbers work out pretty close, just distributed a little differently. I also did a little bit of to-scale photo-shopping, and it looks about right. You said this is correct for thinner lenses? What about thicker lenses? I think I'm somewhere in the middle... my perscription is OD: -4.5/-3.5/5, OS: -4.5/-3.5/175.

Maybe I'll just order both sizes and return the frame that doesn't work out...

Also, thanks for all of your input. This whole thread is a much-appreciated goldmine.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
would the moscot nebb fit asian faces, ie. no nose bridges?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads