• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2010 Oscars Threak

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Argentine film must be pretty good to be considered better than The Prophet, which is fantastic.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny
Glad Avatar didnt take Best Picture, it would have been a dark day for cinema if it had.
No darker than when Gladiator and Lord of the Rings won best picture. The awards are basically still a joke.
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
Must of been a bad year for movies if Hurt Locker won best movie.
You know nothing.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny
Glad Avatar didnt take Best Picture, it would have been a dark day for cinema if it had.

Watching Avatar ruined my day. I checked the Oscar winners just to make sure it didn't win best picture. I hated everything about the story, and all of the characters in it.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
No darker than when Gladiator and Lord of the Rings won best picture. The awards are basically still a joke.

You know nothing.

Exactly....or worse...

Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan. WTF...
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Also, WWTDD had a pretty funny liveblog of the Oscars.

http://www.wwtdd.com/2010/03/the-82n...g/#more-523051

My favorite rant:

7:14 - "˜The Young Victoria' winning Best Costume is another good reminder that Hollywood is filled with idiots. Anyone could make the costumes for this movie. All you have to do is look at what people used to wear back then and then make that. How the hell are movies like this even eligible?

7:15 - It would be like having a contest for Best Car, and you made a flying supercar that ran on garbage, and I made a 1995 Ford Taurus, and I won the contest. That would be marsupialed, right?

7:16 - You can literally find some fancy outfit some king used to wear and copy it inch for inch. The category should be renamed "˜Best History Of Clothes That People Used To Wear'. I'm over explaining this, aren't I?

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i haven't seen the hurt locker, but i think it's one of the dumbest movie titles one could create.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Honestly, i feel like "The Blind Side" is a big inside joke that i'm not in on. How does a Lifetime channel movie get to the oscars and sandra bullock win an award. I'm 99% convinced that it was all the hype, reviews and awards for that movie were paid for. Even the good clips they show of sandra in that movie were cheesy, lame, and stereotypical. The fake southern sass was awful and michael oher's story was cool for sports fans but hardly a good movie. It's all a big inside joke, right?
Agreed. No idea how that movie got any awards.
Originally Posted by embowafa
Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan. WTF...
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Other than the battle scenes, which were flat-out amazing and supremely groundbreaking, Saving Private Ryan was a pretty mediocre movie. I'm not saying Shakespeare In Love is the sort of movie that would have won any other year, mind you. But I think it deserved the nod over Private Ryan any day.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sesame Seed

She'll become a mainstay in teen films as the big, ugly girl with the heart of gold. That's all.

Steve Martin is generally quite funny, especially when he is able to display his quick wit. I also just want to say that he f***in' worked excellently with the Mametian verbiage in "˜The Spanish Prisoner'. Why does this guy get so much hate?

Re: the actress, far worse than anything about her appearance are the condescending compliments people throw at her. "Oh, and doesn't she look great!" Token compliments for ugly girls are hilarious. "Her, uh, hair is stunning!" "It's so great to see some nontraditional beauty at the awards!"

Re: Steve Martin, his likability to others is inversely proportionate to how much he likes himself. Not that I don't dig him, he's made some of my favorite movies--but no one loves Steve Martin more than Steve Martin.

Originally Posted by embowafa
My favorite rant:

That rant is dumb as ****. I'm glad someone who seems to have not even a basic, audience-based concept of the reality of making a movie had a large public forum for discussing movies.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grundletaint
i haven't seen the hurt locker, but i think it's one of the dumbest movie titles one could create.

Without trying the 'it's clever if you think about what it says' cliche, I actually like it.

I thought the movie was good all around, but not especially great aside from the editing which was indeed amazing.

I have not seen Avatar, I like Cameron a lot, but it looks like complete and utter tripe. It's great that it didn't win, but I agree the overall quality was weak this year for The Hurt Locker to stand out so much.

'Up' was definitely the best movie I saw in 09.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I was happy to see Jeff Bridges and Sandra Bullock recognized. Both turned in phenomenal performances and Jeff was really due.

I enjoyed Avatar but did not feel the storyline was up to Oscar standards or Titanic standards for that matter.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
You should really watch An Education.

I've wanted to see it for awhile. Missed in in the only theater in town that played it so i guess i'll just have to download it unless the theaters are bringing it back.

I heard someone i know mention this (ex-military) and he kinda has a point. He said that in the 6 acceptance speeches for the oscars The Hurt Locker won, not one person thanked the real life EOD bomb techs whose story made that movie possible. I didn't hear every second of all the speeches so couldn't verify if that was true but if so, that's a little messed up. You figured one of them would've done the whole "those guys are the real heroes" cliche speech. Did not one of them really say anything? I guess if the best picture and director award wasn't so rushed someone would've

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One guy mentioned the entire military in Iraq, Afganistan, and the thousands that were injured in his speech.

chronoaug

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jokerman
One guy mentioned the entire military in Iraq, Afganistan, and the thousands that were injured in his speech.
That's good then. I don't know what that dude was saying. Maybe he thought that speech was for the messenger or something. Still think it was sad that oprah and forest whittaker blabbed for as long as the hurt locker got to accept their best picture award Yea, i also thought 09 was kinda week compared to 08 which i enjoyed very much. I liked the hurt locker but wasn't overly thrilled (happy it won though), didn't really like invictus, avatar was kinda cool but more of a fun experience than a great movie, i liked the prohet (need to see that Argentinian film that won now)and others were enjoyable but i didn't like as much as the 08 movies. I still have to see Crazy Heart and An Education though. I like steve martin's old movies and like alec baldwin on snl and 30rock but i just don't think either were funny last night. Most of it is the writing. Baldwin can be a funny actor but he's not a comedian. It seemed supertame writing for them even by oscar standards and they both seemed a little stiff like an oscar exec threatened them if they got out of line. I like the looseness of ricky gervais at the globes or conan at the emmys 2 years ago. Hell, even billy crystal seemed more loose up there

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I heard someone i know mention this (ex-military) and he kinda has a point. He said that in the 6 acceptance speeches for the oscars The Hurt Locker won, not one person thanked the real life EOD bomb techs whose story made that movie possible. I didn't hear every second of all the speeches so couldn't verify if that was true but if so, that's a little messed up. You figured one of them would've done the whole "those guys are the real heroes" cliche speech. Did not one of them really say anything? I guess if the best picture and director award wasn't so rushed someone would've

?????I saw very little of the Oscars, except the end, but the Director's entire speech (nearly) was about the heros in the US military. Don't know if she mentioned the EOD guys by name, but she clearly was paying respect to the military.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The writer mentioned all the troops in Afg/Iraq. I did think it was a little disappointing he did not mention the specific unit he was embedded with that basically gave him the outline for his story, but I realize they have basically no time to thank anyone. They were especially ****** to a few winners, even turning off the mic
rolleyes.gif

chronoaug

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbadbuff
The writer mentioned all the troops in Afg/Iraq. I did think it was a little disappointing he did not mention the specific unit he was embedded with that basically gave him the outline for his story, but I realize they have basically no time to thank anyone. They were especially ****** to a few winners, even turning off the mic
rolleyes.gif

Oh, i guess that's what he was talking about. Thanking the military in general but not those bomb techs that they based the movie off of. He said they painted all those eod techs like a bunch of crazies with a deathwish and made an award winning movie off their story and then didn't mention them. I dunno. Yea, they did cut a lot of people off but then again, jeff bridges' speech was agonizingly long and rambling. Proud he got his though. It's too bad we couldn't see mickey rourke take one home the year before

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads