• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alice in Wonderland Thread

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
saw it tonight and didn't like it very much. the visuals were cool, but the story was flat and, as much as i like some of the older films, i think i'm just really tired of tim burton and danny elfman. it's the same ol same ol with those dudes.

i give it a C+. take away the 3D gimmick and i'd knock it down to a D- if i didn't end up walking out halfway through it without the 3D to entertain me.

hopefully he'll quit trying to remake things after this one.

legit

Reaction score
I don't understand.. from the previews it looks like Mad Hatter is the main character in the movie just because it is Johnny Depp? Kind of changing the story a bit?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ Burton said that he did change the story, to give it more of a story, because he thought the book seemed almost like a random collection of events and he wanted to make it more personal or something.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
^^ Burton said that he did change the story, to give it more of a story, because he thought the book seemed almost like a random collection of events and he wanted to make it more personal or something.

Well... the book was a random collection of events.

ANIKETOS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grundletaint
saw it tonight and didn't like it very much. the visuals were cool, but the story was flat and, as much as i like some of the older films, i think i'm just really tired of tim burton and danny elfman. it's the same ol same ol with those dudes.

i give it a C+. take away the 3D gimmick and i'd knock it down to a D- if i didn't end up walking out halfway through it without the 3D to entertain me.

hopefully he'll quit trying to remake things after this one.

Thank you...My thoughts exactly.I wouldnt have gone if the wife and i had better alternatives.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
It's on my "must see" list ... but a part of me fears it will run the book ... which I read while on acid ... way back in the days. Then gain ... even the book may be nothing like I remember.

It doesn't ruin the book, but it doesn't follow it either. Don't think of it as a true remake. It's really more like a mishmash (should I say Mischmasch) of the first book and the second book, while also trying to be its own story.

Anyway, I'm not really surprised that some people don't like it. I have long known that my tastes were bad. But that is okay, as they're mine.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone who read the book and understands half of wonderful in-jokes and mathematical paradoxes weaved into the crazy story would throw-up after seeing this unredeemable garbage.
Movie lacks story flow and any Burton touch that I was expecting . This is 105% Disney movie NOT Burton's.
It is full of poor SGI. Some screens with live action were not synced with SGI as if the designers just threw up their hands an said:"We ran out of money and they would not notice these blemishes anyway". Well anyone with their eyes on their face will see how many bad shots are in this movie. Why am I talking about SGI? Well, because there is nothing else to this movie.
Burton failed at making this script or visuals his own. Johnny Depp is helpless and ineffective. He mumbles something in idiotic accent throughout the movie and he is incomprehensible.
The only actor that is in her character and very true to the feel of the book is Helena Bonham Carter-she was absolutely spot on and actually interesting to watch.
The rest of the movie was a slow murdering of the great book and draining it of original plot or Gothic-Victorian aesthetic .

Wait for it on DVD it is not worth 12 dollar ticket and trip to the movie theater.

laughwithm3

Reaction score
remake ******, and it's not a sequel. i could not believe someone could actually **** up a book that was bascially filled with series bizzare dream events. somehow, Tim Durton managed to ruin it anyway.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tim Burton is a (very) poor man's Terry Gilliam

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thought HBC was pretty solid.

Hathaway was useless. Terrible acting and basicaly flat character. and she actually looked really ugly IMO. poorly done makeup.

Depp was also pretty lifeless. no idea what that accent was he used some of the time. hell, the "crazy" irish mouse stole his thunder. colored contacts were clearly off center and messed up his eyes. really a pointless character.

main girl was quite good, nice surprise.

3D was novel, but not really "useful" anywhere.

makeup was off in a few places. Like I noticed a glued on moustache and beard on one of the characters.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really hate this place sometimes.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
haven't seen it, don't really want to. am i the only one overtired of johnny depp's silliness? sorry mark.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Did you guys like it?
Yes. I thought the story was a little thin...but then again so was the book (just sayin...). Apparently though everyone else on this board only watches Oscar winning films, eats at only 5 star restaurants, wears only Savile Row, travels only on G4's and drinks only 1983 Bordeaux because anything else is ****. I'm a well known philistine though so apparently that's the reason I liked the movie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads