• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Swan Song
I guess Cowboy boots are out of favor around here. These are vintage Dan Post Lizard and the color combination is outstanding. $12

New soles/heels and I'm breakin' them in today. $50

Found a pair of worn J. Chisholm boots yesterday for $8. Didn't fit, but got them as display boots, anyway. I suppose that's about the best I can hope for in Massachusetts. Good find, SS.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice Brooks Brothers 100% lambswool V neck for $5 today. substantial sweater. it was heavily pilled, we'll see how it looks after the cleaning bill of $5.50!

Joe Cool

Reaction score
I found a MTM DB sport coat this afternoon that was made for NBA hall of famer Kevin McHale, made by local Twin Cities taylor Marty Mathis...it was HUGE!

mco543

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBC
^^ What did the Chipp suit look like? 3/2 sack? In decent shape? What color? There is certainly a market, especially among Trads, for Chipp suits in desirable colors and standard sizes.

It was 3/2 in medium gray with yellow/cream pinstripes. The fabric didnt feel too good though. It felt very dry. On the other hand it had this fantastically loud paisley lining.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A sport coat made for Kevin McHale? That's a crazy find! There are probably Celtics fans who would be really into it.

Joe Cool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
A sport coat made for Kevin McHale? That's a crazy find! There are probably Celtics fans who would be really into it.

I suppose, but they'd have to be 6'11 to wear it!

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
I to come across lots of BB shirts in very nice shape, most are freshly drycleaned. When it comes to flipping, you'll get mixed opinions. I grabbed a few once in normal patterns and normal sized (16.5-34 IIRC) and barely moved them on B/S. Ended up selling them for $15 shipped each. When you factor in priority shipping, I only made about $5 each per shirt. I don't waste my time with these anymore. I do grab mainline Brooks Bros polo shirts for myself, though. They're a great spring/summer casual shirt. I also make it a point to grab any Golden Fleece in nice shape.

BB Made in USA shirts are worth picking up for personal use. They can be frustratingly difficult to flip. If you get several in a single size you can probably make some money by selling as a lot and saving on shipping.

I also like the polo shirts.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66
(I usually have luck when I look in the ladies scarves)

Also check women's belts.

Originally Posted by tiger489
i think its a waste of time

Somewhat less than posting in a thread complaining about how it's a waste of time. I would explain to you why it's not, but I don't want to waste my time.

tsaltzma

Reaction score
I found something nice today. I will let it speak for itself.

00002-4.jpg

I also picked up a Brooks Brothers blue blazer(loro piana fabric), a nice multicolor gingham faconnable shirt, Alan Flusser's Style and the Man, and a leather briefcase. The briefcase is a nice walnut color. There is no maker that I can see. The only markings of any kind are on the zipper pulls, which have three C's in a triangle, and the number 131 inside one of the pockets. I thought maybe it could be Cable Car Clothiers, but who knows. Anyone have an idea?

I also passed on an Aquascutum blazer that was a bit too worn, an Aquascutum shirt, a Samuelsohn suit(46L I think), 7 Southwick suits(and 2 blazers - all 44-46L), and 10 Beau Ties(american made clip on bow ties). If anyone is interested in any of this I can get more specific details.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Temujin
...Am I allowed to mention my ebay store's name, or would that get me booted for spamming?

That's like going to a Grateful Dead concert and asking, "I have some weed, am I allowed to share it?"

Originally Posted by mco543
It was 3/2 in medium gray with yellow/cream pinstripes. The fabric didnt feel too good though. It felt very dry. On the other hand it had this fantastically loud paisley lining.

The few Chipps I've encountered were made of very stiff fabric. I'm not sure if its because the material used was not that high quality or they were just from the era prior to softer, 120's type stuff and/or they've been dry-cleaned to death.

Originally Posted by AlanC
BB Made in USA shirts are worth picking up for personal use. They can be frustratingly difficult to flip. If you get several in a single size you can probably make some money by selling as a lot and saving on shipping.

I also like the polo shirts.

I always pick up the b/d's for personal use. They look as good with jeans as they do with dress pants and hold starch like a demon - and since they're thrifted I don't mind starching them. The best part is they're so huge I can size down 2 sizes. I haven't been a 16.5 since 3rd grade.

Originally Posted by AlanC
Also check women's belts.

Thanks, I've never thought of that. I'll need to be very careful about the style because down here most of the women's belts will be in my size range.
laugh.gif

Temujin

Reaction score
Does anyone know about Hardrige boots, made in Paris? I found a pair in Goodwill today. A little pricey for me ($20) but in excellent shape, and the quality appears very good, so I took a chance. Now I can't find anything on Google! Hopefully I can get my money back on Ebay. Also found a pair of NICE woven Magnanni loafers for $8, a pair of elevator/height increasing shoes, made in Italy, $5; and a few others J&M, Bostonian (the Italian ones).
bounce2.gif

Scoundrel

Reaction score
Just bought some (suede) leather pants; they were marked down from $1k to a steal at $100. They are a dark gray.

shoejohn

Reaction score
Today I found a pair of AE Delray's in Chili. They are in good shape. I'm putting a new heel on them and getting them polished. I will post pics soon. Price was $2.98!!!!!!!!!

blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Temujin
Does anyone know about Hardrige boots, made in Paris? I found a pair in Goodwill today. A little pricey for me ($20) but in excellent shape, and the quality appears very good, so I took a chance. Now I can't find anything on Google!

Try this:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads