• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The axe thread - Best Made Co.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I spent yesterday afternoon with the proprietors of Best Made Co. - an axe company located in Tribeca. These fellows make some of the most beautiful field-tested axes I've ever handled. As it turns out, their base camp (where one of them built a log cabin by hand with an axe) is a few kms from my log cabin in ON.

P1030810.jpg

From their site:

Before someone picks up a tool, any tool, why not ask why first? Ask yourself: how am I going to use this tool. We are inundated with tools, every step of the way. Tools are specifically and often ingeniously marketed to appear as though they will make your life better. The notion of "mastering a tool" is a bit of fallacy: master your desire, and then the perfect tool will present itself.

Their "Famous Four" - Compassion; Fortitude; Courage; Grace.

P1030484.jpg
P1030485.jpg
P1030483.jpg
P1030486.jpg

Anyone looking for a gift for a young man would be well served to check out their products. I still have my grandfather's axes and they will be passed on to younger men of my family. A Best Made Co. axe will join them.

lefty

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An axe company in Tribeca selling $200-400 axes
confused.gif

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
An axe company in Tribeca selling $200-400 axes
confused.gif

You can buy a $30 axe at Home Depot and it will be a $30 axe. I wouldn't trust my life to one. A good Gränsfors Axe will cost you anywhere from $150-$300. As someone who has a few axes and spends weekends felling, limbing, bucking and splitting trees for firewood, a well-made axe is indispensable. These axes are not inexpensive, but they are of a high quality and made in the US. I have little tolerance for the pretend "woodsmen" of NYC. These guys are authentic. Put a proper axe in the hands of a kid who has never held one before and watch his eyes come to life. Teach him how to respect and handle the tool and he will have those skills for life. lefty

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ever chop anything with a fibreglass handle? After 2 hours your hands will be trembling from the shock. And once it breaks in the woods, you're **** out of luck.

If I break a hardwood handle I can use the head as a hand tool to cut a serviceable handle, jam it on and use a rock to drive some wood wedges into the eye. That means I make it out alive. You die there, but with an extra $150 in your pocket that you saved from buying a cheap axe.

lefty

z7f9q

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be a bit worried about using it at that price. Still, I 100% agree about cheap axes not being worth the time.

Deuce

Reaction score
I never had a need for an axe... until now. Well there goes another $300...

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Ever chop anything with a fibreglass handle? After 2 hours your hands will be trembling from the shock. And once it breaks in the woods, you're **** out of luck. If I break a hardwood handle I can use the head as a hand tool to cut a serviceable handle, jam it on and use a rock to drive some wood wedges into the eye. That means I make it out alive. You die there, but with an extra $150 in your pocket that you saved from buying a cheap axe. lefty
Why would someone die if their axe handle broke? Just asking.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril

No firewood maybe? Bear defense? I had the same question.

montyharding

Reaction score

Perhaps if the blade boomeranged around and hit you on the head
plain.gif

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

#1 survival tool.

You can do everything with an axe that you can with a knife and then some: build a shelter, skin an animal, cut firewood, and defend yourself.

lefty

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I get nervous about Leftys running around with axes.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads