• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Temujin

Reaction score
Hi,
New to the site/forum, but not to thrift store shopping. I like to look really sharp, but can't afford all that high end stuff new. I have a thing for higher end shoes, but not high end prices. My newest finds: vintage Frank Brothers shoes/blucher in chili brown--5.99, Bally black loafers--6.98. I am up to about 35 pairs of nice dress shoes and not a single pair is new! Mezlan, J&M, Allen Edmonds, Bally , Cable & Co, Bragano/CH, etc. When I find nice pairs that are not my size, I purchase them as well and sell them on Ebay to fund my shoe-alocism.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Temujin
Hi,
New to the site/forum, but not to thrift store shopping. I like to look really sharp, but can't afford all that high end stuff new. I have a thing for higher end shoes, but not high end prices. My newest finds: vintage Frank Brothers shoes/blucher in chili brown--5.99, Bally black loafers--6.98. I am up to about 35 pairs of nice dress shoes and not a single pair is new! Mezlan, J&M, Allen Edmonds, Bally , Cable & Co, Bragano/CH, etc. When I find nice pairs that are not my size, I purchase them as well and sell them on Ebay to fund my shoe-alocism.

Welcome to the group. I think 35 pairs sounds like a reasonable shoe collection, but then again most of us have long ago forgotten the meaning of restraint. We'll await your attempt to purge the collection on eBay or the B&S forum, your feeble attempt to stay away/break the habit, and the inevitable relapse as you start collecting again. I think we all do that about once a year
laugh.gif

Decent day today:

Hugo Boss sportcoat - I normally don't pick these up but it's very recent, a nice navy w/ royal blue windowpaine hopsack, and fits perfect - $7.99
Belvest suit jacket. It has the surgeons cuffs, etc. I looked for the pants, couldn't find them, but bought it anyway. The manager told me they pretty much separate all suits at the central warehouse now so if they exist they could be at any Goodwill in town. I hit three more today but no luck. It's so beautifully made I'll probably wear it as a sportcoat anyway. It's taupe w/ a faint steel blue and gray plaid. The fabric is a bit too smooth for a sportcoat but only one of us would notice anyway - $7.99
NWT Armani slacks - gray linen/viscose - $4.99
AE Clipper model shoes in burgundy calf - $3.37 (?)
vintage paisly pocket square - .80 (I usually have luck when I look in the ladies scarves)

I passed on a bunch of other stuff I'd usually be happy to find in the slow times. I hate how it's always feast or famine but I sure can't complain right now.

RebelWithACause

Reaction score
Most recent find,

looks like some type of military jacket, really heavy, and just a little big on me, but its something I can use to kick around with and get dirty in. Its not worth the effort to list in the B&S. I come across tons of Brooks brothers dress shirts in great condition. Are these flipped very easily or is it just a waste of time.

tsaltzma

Reaction score
Yesterday was an interesting day.

Aquascutum SB blue overcoat with liner
vintage Burberry(s) tan SB raincoat with wool liner
Taylor & Lodge 100% vicuna cashmere(?) gunclub check sportcoat
3 hand rolled silk pocketsquares - 1 from england 1 from japan
4 pair of Royal Tweed(Cheaneys) plain loafers
Orvis cashmere cardigan
LL Bean surcingle belt
All Clad 6qt stockpot

I passed on another Aquascutum that was somewhat dingy. It looked dirty, had a few tiny grease smudges, and a pen mark. Is this something a dry cleaner could solve? I would have picked it up if I knew it would come clean, because otherwise it was a nice coat.

Temujin

Reaction score
EBTX66;3025130 said:
Welcome to the group. I think 35 pairs sounds like a reasonable shoe collection, but then again most of us have long ago forgotten the meaning of restraint. We'll await your attempt to purge the collection on eBay or the B&S forum, your feeble attempt to stay away/break the habit, and the inevitable relapse as you start collecting again. I think we all do that about once a year
laugh.gif

I have about 40 pairs listed on ebay right now. And another 300 pr waiting on me to get it in gear.
(I bought out a small used shoe store.) I am a store front window cleaner by trade. One of my clients is a cobbler with a used shoe store in front of the shop. His landlord sold his building and so he was forced to move into a much smaller shop. No room for the shoe sales. After about 2 years of living with the shoes stuffed in every corner of his house, he made me an offer I couldn't refuse! Over 300 pr for $300 (yes three hundred dollars!!!). I immediately went to the ATM! When I sorted through them, there was about 30 pr of AE, 3 pr Alden, and a few Bally, Peter Huber, Nordstrom, J&M. The rest are cheap stuff, but still I can get about $10-15/pr on ebay.

Am I allowed to mention my ebay store's name, or would that get me booted for spamming?

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Temujin
Am I allowed to mention my ebay store's name, or would that get me booted for spamming?

go ahead!

mco543

Reaction score
Found a vintage custom Chipp's suit from 1971 that was too small and since i had no idea what the resell value could be i left it. Also found a dated as all hell green Mani suit that was priced at $350.00. The gorge of the lapel was overlapping the breast pocket.

BBC

Reaction score
^^ What did the Chipp suit look like? 3/2 sack? In decent shape? What color? There is certainly a market, especially among Trads, for Chipp suits in desirable colors and standard sizes.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RebelWithACause
I come across tons of Brooks brothers dress shirts in great condition. Are these flipped very easily or is it just a waste of time.

I to come across lots of BB shirts in very nice shape, most are freshly drycleaned. When it comes to flipping, you'll get mixed opinions. I grabbed a few once in normal patterns and normal sized (16.5-34 IIRC) and barely moved them on B/S. Ended up selling them for $15 shipped each. When you factor in priority shipping, I only made about $5 each per shirt. I don't waste my time with these anymore. I do grab mainline Brooks Bros polo shirts for myself, though. They're a great spring/summer casual shirt. I also make it a point to grab any Golden Fleece in nice shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads