• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

jessetk313

Reaction score
Recommend me a jean fellas. Im looking for a new pair of raw indigo. I like my APC NS fit in the top block, but from the knee down it is a little baggier than I would like (chicken Legs). What jean would you guys recommend?

dragonxking

Reaction score
will be picking up a pair of Somet 003s, and have 2 quick questions
1. Soak? (hot/cold)
2. Hem before/after soak?

connor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jessetk313
Recommend me a jean fellas. Im looking for a new pair of raw indigo. I like my APC NS fit in the top block, but from the knee down it is a little baggier than I would like (chicken Legs). What jean would you guys recommend?

petit standards

PiperInAlberta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by connor
just get a pair in another size. taper is easy, altering top block is not from what i understand

I can deal with the waist...it's not too bad. I was more looking to get rid of as much of the bootcut as I can. I'm just hesitant because I really like the jeans (selvage nudies at a pretty sweet price) and would rather a slightly loose bootcut pair then a pair that's been buttraped by a tailor.

PiperInAlberta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by connor
find a good tailor, have him taper from the inseam, and youll be fine
I'm trusting you on this
laugh.gif
But seriously, I'll give it a shot when I get home. I got one recommendation on here for a tailor in my neck of the woods (Edmonton), I'll give him a try.

Flight Bird

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new pair of jeans. Given the fact that I go to hyper-sensitive, very midtown parties with my friends, I can not wear my normal skinny jeans (Nudie black/black or Good Society blue faded), thus I'm in the market for a pair of going-out jeans. I've been looking through APC's lineup, as I've been wanting a pair for a while, and I was wondering: Which fit is going to be a a bit skinny, but not all the way, more of a slim fit? I'm quite skinny myself (waist 28). Thanks

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Anyone here with Notify jeans? I've seen their wax coated denim before and it looks pretty sweet, though the overall package sort of says "French 7s." I'm looking at some on Yoox at great prices, but am curious how they fit/hold up.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flight Bird
I'm in the market for a new pair of jeans. Given the fact that I go to hyper-sensitive, very midtown parties with my friends, I can not wear my normal skinny jeans (Nudie black/black or Good Society blue faded), thus I'm in the market for a pair of going-out jeans. I've been looking through APC's lineup, as I've been wanting a pair for a while, and I was wondering: Which fit is going to be a a bit skinny, but not all the way, more of a slim fit? I'm quite skinny myself (waist 28). Thanks
Get a pair of slow fading jeans like Ironhearts

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragonxking
will be picking up a pair of Somet 003s, and have 2 quick questions
1. Soak? (hot/cold)
2. Hem before/after soak?

1. Hot, which ever really, doesn't matter too much.
2. I like to hem before because the inseam ends up stretching out a bit, but this doesn't matter too much either, Somet's aren't going to shrink much at all.

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by c00kz
Roping on hems is due to the cotton thread shrinkage, not the denim shrinkage- correct?

Comes from the way hems are rolled. If you look at hems that have a lot of roping, the seam is usually at an angle. It also does come from the shrinking denim and your leg twisting the denim when moving.
jd021.jpg

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jessetk313

Skull 5010s have the similar boxy hip region with a slim top block, but a more severe taper from knee down. Make sure you size em right though.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flight Bird
You should probably head down to the APC store and try some on. If you're really that skinny, you may want the New Standard, but might also be happy with the Petit Standard (a bit lower/slimmer). I happen to think this is the best going-out jean they do, and I think the material probably will stay in "dressier" shape longer because they aren't all cotton: http://uscheckout.apc.fr/browse.cfm/...tpiece=4%2C326 If they have a small enough size, you might also consider the Rag & Bone RB23, a personal favorite of mine. Last time I was in the RB store in NYC they had them in a few different denims, some of which looked pretty dressy. This is a pretty skinny jean on me, but from your description, it would be a slim jean on you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads