• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What should I be wearing?

charfan9

Reaction score
Hey Lefty,

Yeah, I went from 230 down to 180. So I'm looking for a whole new way of dressing.

goetz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by charfan9
Hey Lefty,

Yeah, I went from 230 down to 180. So I'm looking for a whole new way of dressing.

How do you want to dress? I mean, you're retired, you can and should do whatever the hell you want.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhateverYouLike
Alternatively, you can ask a female friend to help you shop at a mall. Women always have a highly developed sense of fashion.

Fashion yes. Men's style... I disagree. I don't think women in general are any better than men in general about picking men's clothing.

Just as I would completely suck at picking out which individual piece of clothing a woman should wear, I don't think they would know what individual piece of clothing I should wear. However, they are pretty good at "rating" the ensemble. Ie, they know when a man looks good.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I think we're making this too hard. My read is the OP wants to dress well for his age, newly fit body and environment. He lives in Mississippi, so let's not try to get too carried away. I'm assuming he's not interested in becoming a SF maven. This is for every day retired casual.

Get some khakis. Try J Crew. You should be able to find a good cut there, not pay too much money and not have to worry about babying them.

Get some jeans. Try Levis 501s as dark as you can find them. Were I you I wouldn't fool around with shrink to fits. Try them on and get some that fit well.

Get some button up shirts. Spring is coming, Mississippi gets hot. Look for something light weight. Again, J Crew might be a good place to look. Consider linen. Pick up some Brooks Brothers slim fit OCBDs.

Get some polo shirts. Some will disagree with this, but they're great for everyday casual, particularly with the warm weather you face most of the time. Try J Crew again, or Target for that matter. Be aware of fit.

Shoes. Now this is where you'll suffer severe sticker shock, but good shoes will set you apart from the herd more than pretty much anything else.

To start things off, consider a couple of inexpensive knockaround shoes.

Taupe suede bucks:

1127155-p-DETAILED.jpg

And boat shoes:

6901-7459-d.jpg

Another possibility could be some Clark's desert boots:

458128-p-DETAILED.jpg

Beyond that, you need to consider something better like Aldens or Allen Edmonds. These will be expensive, but if taken care of can last you for the rest of your life. I would suggest some plain toe bluchers:

2816.jpg

Norwegian split toes:

2210.jpg

And Indy boots:

40514H.jpg

Now, beyond that add a pair of gray and a pair of tan wool trousers, plus a navy blazer, throw in a couple of repp ties and you'll be set for most situations you'll face. You can get a lot more complicated than this (and look even better), but this is simple and basic. It will make you look good, and much better than 90% of the people around you.

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
Fashion yes. Men's style... I disagree. I don't think women in general are any better than men in general about picking men's clothing.

Just as I would completely suck at picking out which individual piece of clothing a woman should wear, I don't think they would know what individual piece of clothing I should wear. However, they are pretty good at "rating" the ensemble. Ie, they know when a man looks good.

It was a joke. Women and gay guys dont know much more than anyone else.

charfan9

Reaction score
Thanks AlanC,

You got it right. I do well in 501's and Wranglers. I picked up a few polos by "Nautica" and they seem to look pretty good. I try to stay away from stripes, and stay with solids. Any suggestions on colors? Thanks again. I DONT need to be a "Fashion Plate", I just want to look good.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Light blue, green? Without your eye color and skin color, it is mostly a guessing game.

Button-down shirts, polos, and jeans are fine, but you really should include some patterns (like a subtle seersucker), some lightweight pants (tissue chinos from Ralph Lauren, for instance), and (for the hot weather) some linen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads