• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would you like to see in a Men's Accessories store?

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
Maybe you should think of a way to get the young people in your town come into your store. Something like "Buy your first pair of really nice shoes here and get 10% off on any future purchase". The idea with the bar isn't too bad. Have you thought about a cafÃ
00a9.png
/accessories store combination?

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like to see the world haberdashery on the window.

Good ideas in this thread, I especially like Stringless's suggestion. An online shop, even an ebay store, would be a good idea too.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threak
I would like to see the world haberdashery on the window.

Good ideas in this thread, I especially like Stringless's suggestion. An online shop, even an ebay store, would be a good idea too.

Unfortunately, shipping to and from Newfoundland will be an enormous overhead cost.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
  • Decent quality belts
  • Flashy socks (colours & stripes)
  • Quality shoelaces & colourful shoelaces
  • Shoe trees a la Cedarville 'Epic' at good prices ($20/pr)
  • TOPY, VIBRAM, EMU rubber sole protectors (for those of us who do it ourselves)
  • Valets
  • Biltmore & Borsalino Hats (Rotmans in Toronto is closed leaving only 1 store left; The Hatter)
  • Quality umberellas
  • Leather soft briefcases & saddle bags, shopping bags, etc.
  • Horsehair shoe brushes & clothes brushes
  • Personal grooming kits of decent quality
  • An online service for above.
  • An in-store service of some kind.
Example-
Incorporate shoe repair or some other service that gets men in the store on a regular basis.
Call it 'Born Again Shoe Repair'. Sign in window bears slogan- 'We'll save your soles.'
This will generate walk-in traffic in your store. Younger gents will learn, their women will get great gift ideas while browsing.
Best of luck with the project. We in Toronto await.

mogultv

Reaction score
You live in a very beautiful city even if it is casual.

dbc

Reaction score
I would really, really love to see reasonably priced tie studs. Haven't been able to find any, anywhere :/

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
St John's? It's going to be a tough crowd for sure. Keep in mind the typical SF'er will by far more demanding than your typical customer who wanders into your store of the street. I think concepts mentioned here like multiple tie widths, pictorial pocket squares and multi-coloured socks will be alien to most of your potential customer base who is only vaguely aware of mens fine clothing.

I'm in Edmonton and I'm trying to figure out what stores would look like here if they were dialed down a notch. Maybe that would be a better barometer of what would sell in in Newfoundland.

I can see potential for 2 or 3 classic shoe lines like AE, Cole Haan, etc and perhaps something italian with a more modern look for a younger crowd like Ferragamo (obviously the cheapest studio line so it's not too expensive for the market.) It would probably be wise to keep the shoe price ranges between $300-$500 a pair.

Naturally you should carry a selection of ties, cufflinks, and a few basic pocketsquares, probably with ties and cufflinks priced $80-$150 dollars, of course recognizable italian names are always a selling point for the uneducated consumer and for people looking to buy something new for novelty.

Of course many people will buy the shirt first and buy the tie and cufflinks to go with it. It's going to be very difficult for you to sell one without the other. I think you might be forced into going into selling suits/shirts/pants to bring people in the doors and selling accessories to augment sales as opposed to a pure accessory shop. It's hard for an accessories only shop to compete with full-service mens clothing stores, that's why they're so unusual and usually targeted at very choosy customers.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brioni ties with 50% off.
No joke: it happened to me several times that I walk into a men's clothing store during sales, see a sign by the ties telling X% off, choose the one I liked most, just to hear that the X% off does not apply to that one 'cause it is a Brioni tie.
I am no label whore, it just seems that I happen to like some Brioni designs.

Monaco

Reaction score
I can never find belts I like, I can never find pocket squares period, I like to see some tie bars, tie pins, dress socks, suspenders...

I'll come back with more later.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing against Newfoundlanders, but I just don't see the market for something like this. The stereotype is that most people are poor/on pogey, or worse, taking advantage of the welfare system. We won't even get to my personal experiences with every Newfoundlander I've met (and I've met a lot). While St. John's does boast about its rapidly expanding business economy, it just doesn't have the market to support or appreciate a store like the one you're proposing. As I've mentioned earlier as well, you won't be able to supplement your income by selling online to other Canadians as well. Canada Post shipping costs too much and takes too long, especially from NL. Taxes are too high. The exchange rate is unfavourable to import Italian items from.

water

Reaction score
I am interested in hearing about your experiences with Newfoundlanders. Please elaborate.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
While St. John's does boast about its rapidly expanding business economy, it just doesn't have the market to support or appreciate a store like the one you're proposing. As I've mentioned earlier as well, you won't be able to supplement your income by selling online to other Canadians as well. Canada Post shipping costs too much and takes too long, especially from NL. Taxes are too high. The exchange rate is unfavourable to import Italian items from.

I don't know about this. It's more expensive to ship from the states than from within Canada.

The real problem is that it's often worth it given a good exchange rate and markup on goods in Canada (which is not always the store's fault"”the duty on English shoes, for instance, sucks).

As for the Italian thing, if they're not buying Hugo Boss from Harry Rosen Canadians only wear Italian.

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You will go broke in 6 months unless you own the building. If your market is petrochemical engineers you have no market.

Booze, drugs, guns, or foods with high caloric and high saturated fat content are your only hope for success.

Seriously.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads