• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hand lasted vs machine lasted

Aus_MD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
Interesting word, this 'factory'. It comes from 'manufactory', a place where something is made by hand.

Nice theory, but lacks any factual basis.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aus_MD
Nice theory, but lacks any factual basis.
Actually: man·u·fac·to·ry / mænyəˈfæktəri/ [man-yuh-fak-tuh-ree] –noun, plural -ries. Archaic. a factory. Origin: 1610–20; obs. manufact - handmade (< LL manūfact(us); see manus, fact) + -ory2

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Yes - I have a dictionary too. What is your point?
I have no point, just a fact. Do you have a point?

Aus_MD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
I have no point, just a fact. Do you have a point?

facepalm.gif
Factory does not "[come] from 'manufactory'".

Nice theory, but no basis in fact, actually.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
facepalm.gif
Factory does not "[come] from 'manufactory'".

Nice theory, but no basis in fact, actually.

In a strictly literal sense it appears that you are right; factory predates manufactory by some time, but had a rather different meaning until at about the time when manufactory emerges by a compounding of and manufact (handmade) with -ory (place), to mean, depending on context, "something that is made by manual labor", "the production of manufactured goods, and "the place where things are made by hand". Contemporary with this meaning, "factory" evolves from "office for agents (factors), or "real estate office" to come to mean "a place where things are made". It would be rather strange if this change arose spontaneously without any connection to the concurrent evolution of a closely related word.

Aus_MD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
In a strictly literal sense it appears that you are right; factory predates manufactory by some time, but had a rather different meaning until at about the time when manufactory emerges by a compounding of and manufact (handmade) with -ory (place), to mean, depending on context, "something that is made by manual labor", "the production of manufactured goods, and "the place where things are made by hand". Contemporary with this meaning, "factory" evolves from "office for agents (factors), or "real estate office" to come to mean "a place where things are made". It would be rather strange if this change arose spontaneously without any connection to the concurrent evolution of a closely related word.

eh.gif

The use of 'factory' as a place for munufacture predates te use of 'manufactory' as a place of manufacture.

Factory:
5. a. A building or range of buildings with plant for the manufacture of goods; a manufactory, workshop; "˜works'.

1618 USSHER Let. to Camden 8 June, The Company of Stationers in London are now erecting a Factory for Books and a Press among us here.

Manufactory:

2. a. A place where a product is manufactured; a factory or workshop, now esp. one where articles are handmade.

1641 Acts Parl. Scotl. (1870) V. 657 For intertayneing and erecting of Manufactories for cloathe... Forsamelke as the want of manufactories.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo

Vass are made in a factory

Me don't think that right,
Vass made in small workshop.
No many machine use in Vass.

Tidybeard

Reaction score
eh.gif
The use of 'factory' as a place for munufacture predates te use of 'manufactory' as a place of manufacture.

It should also not be missed that the words "munufacture" and "te" are so futuristic as to have not yet been invented (at least in English), which is impressive. If you're going to be a pedant...... May I just take this opportunity to thank whoever rated my thread one star? It's my first star and has made me feel special. Thanks. Edit - someone just changed it to two stars. I applaud your sense of humour, sir :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics