• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Considering new iMac - thoughts?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
I like that any time or day that I check in on this thread, Tokyo Slim has the last post.
It's all part of the mystique. It is both a gift and a curse.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
Now I just want a computer that works all the time and doesn't crash or get viruses.

Users *get* viruses and initiate crashes

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Maybe they just aren't as brave as I am, and don't wish to get into an argument with someone who may or may not be a deranged Mac person.
smile.gif

That describes pretty much any moderately well made computer. It has nothing to do with the brand.

As for "viruses" if you have a significant problem, you must either be really important, or really dumb, cause for normal people, not getting them is as easy as not opening/downloading unknown programs and email attachments.
smile.gif

In this case it does have to do with the brand because this brand is a certain type of computer, a type that less people make viruses for. Also, viruses don't only come from attachments and downloads.

I also don't want to have to click "allow" every time I do something. I had an iBook for 4 years without virus protection and never got one.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also don't want to have to click "allow" every time I do something. I had an iBook for 4 years without virus protection and never got one.
i configured my windows computer so i never have to explicitly "allow" or disallow something. but on mac i do have to repeat the administrator password anytime i install something. my pc ran 5+ years without virus or malware or firewall protection and i never received anything unintended.... (....o god im feeling compelled to get involved in these arguments)
deadhorse-a.gif
i like my mac mini a lot. i think osx is extremely polished and well executed. i like my windows computers a lot. neither are wholly or definitively better. if i had to pick one i would go windows because im more familiar with it /gingerly exiting thread...
nest.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
In this case it does have to do with the brand because this brand is a certain type of computer, a type that less people make viruses for. Also, viruses don't only come from attachments and downloads.

That's pretty anecdotal evidence. I've probably had Windows running without third party anti-virus software for nearly a decade. No viruses. The threat of computer viruses is greatly blown out of proportion by both the media (who likes to sensationalize) and by people who have a financial stake in "protecting" people from them. IMO most of the big AV companies do more harm than good.

Oh, and people don't make viruses for computers. I've never, for example, heard of a virus that only attacks the owners of Sony VAIOs. Many Macs also run Windows these days... do you think that a Mac running WinXP can't get a virus?
smile.gif

I'm not sure what you mean by "click allow every time you do something". I don't have to. The things that I would conceivably have to click "allow" for are things like altering my registry and etc., which on occasion I will do - but I like that it tells me to double check what I'm doing in the more "advanced" parts of the software so I don't screw something up. Maybe a lot of the concerns you have about Windows are unfounded or blown out of proportion by people who don't really know what they are doing.

Unless someone actually hacks into your computer and places files on your drive, then executes the code remotely without you knowing it, (an extremely unlikely scenario for the average user) then yes, a computer virus is a program that you - one way or another - have to install or allow onto your computer. A computer virus is, by definition, a user executable code. Not downloading suspicious programs, or opening unknown email attachments is 99.9 percent effective in protecting yourself from viruses. There have been cases where a virus is unknowingly carried in the software of a peripheral device ( digital picture frames had this problem a while ago) but you still have to install the software for it to have any effect on your computer.

I'm just saying. Having a personal preference is fine and dandy. I have one too. But I'm not going to let you tell me the sky is red
smile.gif

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
That's pretty anecdotal evidence. I've probably had Windows running without third party anti-virus software for nearly a decade. No viruses. The threat of computer viruses is greatly blown out of proportion by both the media (who likes to sensationalize) and by people who have a financial stake in "protecting" people from them. IMO most of the big AV companies do more harm than good. Oh, and people don't make viruses for computers. I've never, for example, heard of a virus that only attacks the owners of Sony VAIOs. Many Macs also run Windows these days... do you think that a Mac running WinXP can't get a virus?
smile.gif
I'm not sure what you mean by "click allow every time you do something". I don't have to. The things that I would conceivably have to click "allow" for are things like altering my registry and etc., which on occasion I will do - but I like that it tells me to double check what I'm doing in the more "advanced" parts of the software so I don't screw something up. Maybe a lot of the concerns you have about Windows are unfounded or blown out of proportion by people who don't really know what they are doing. Unless someone actually hacks into your computer and places files on your drive, then executes the code remotely without you knowing it, (an extremely unlikely scenario for the average user) then yes, a computer virus is a program that you - one way or another - have to install or allow onto your computer. A computer virus is, by definition, a user executable code. Not downloading suspicious programs, or opening unknown email attachments is 99.9 percent effective in protecting yourself from viruses. There have been cases where a virus is unknowingly carried in the software of a peripheral device ( digital picture frames had this problem a while ago) but you still have to install the software for it to have any effect on your computer. I'm just saying. Having a personal preference is fine and dandy. I have one too. But I'm not going to let you tell me the sky is red
smile.gif

Your computer must be like Ninja, sneak about internet without any protection and avoid viruses. Good for you!
fing02[1].gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Your computer must be like Ninja, sneak about internet without any protection and avoid viruses. Good for you!
fing02[1].gif

Most consumers these days are behind a firewall that comes embedded in their dsl/cable modem, so he's right to a point. There's no magical way that the newest worm/virus can make its way through your firewall. Unless you go to sites that are loaded with malware (Appreciation sites, illegal download sites,etc), then generally speaking, you could probably get away without using an anti-virus. Most viruses are probably spread through email attachments. It's pretty simple not to open email from people you don't know. That said, I still run an AV because i'm paranoid about computer security, but I haven't seen a virus in a really long time (since i stopped downloading pirated software, many years ago).

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wait your dell got hit by a virus and there was no way to restore it

EL OH EL

macs are overpriced outdated components that can be beat price to performance wise any day of the week by a pc.

Also if you get a virus you suck at the internet and shouldn't look at those naughty websites. end of story.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
me too! good luck with it.

Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
I'm picking up the 27" iMac tomorrow. Thanks for the good thread, all.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon
wait your dell got hit by a virus and there was no way to restore it

EL OH EL

macs are overpriced outdated components that can be beat price to performance wise any day of the week by a pc.

Also if you get a virus you suck at the internet and shouldn't look at those naughty websites. end of story.

Your reading comprehension is terrific.

ceaton

Reaction score
I have a 24 inch one (perfect for two documents side by side plus some toolbars), and I'm not really sure I'd want a larger screen, it would be too much like sitting too close to a TV.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
I got the iMac last Sunday. It is amazing.

Is it incredible? Is it everything you've hoped and dreamed? Is it a category leading, game changing best of the best computer, with an unparalleled computing experience, and the very best design for a computer ever thought of by man?

I hope you, as a user, can live up to that kind of pressure.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads