• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The sport sedan choice- A4/3/C

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of other contenders for you: Acura TL SH-AWD and VW CC VR6 4motion. I owned both A4 quattro and 3-series and would buy either again. The current A4 is a little larger than the 3-series. I think imageWIS was unhappy with his A4 because he had the FWD model .
smile.gif
FWIW, Car and Driver did a comparison between A4/328i/TL?G37 not that long ago.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finished at looking at cars this past weekend. Probably going to go with the C class. The A4 is beautiful on the outside, feels like an IS on the inside, and just didn't do it for us. The 3 series is a close call, but the Merc just has it beat on manners on the road.

Thanks everyone... Pics will follow when we actually buy it.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by akatsuki
Finished at looking at cars this past weekend. Probably going to go with the C class. The A4 is beautiful on the outside, feels like an IS on the inside, and just didn't do it for us. The 3 series is a close call, but the Merc just has it beat on manners on the road.

Thanks everyone... Pics will follow when we actually buy it.

Good choice, IMO. Look forward to the pics and a post-purchase review.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had the C300 in SF for several weeks. I hated every second of it. Piss poor car compared to the 3 or the 4. If you choose a C300 over a 3 series you should check to make sure your testicles were not removed in your sleep.

Nice looks but terrible to drive. Vague steering. Unnecessary harsh ride (even a Camry is more sporty so why does the Merc jar you over bumps?). Complete lack of sporting ability. Languid handling. Excessive body roll. Acceleration of a minivan. Completely muffled engine noise. Thirsty.

The 2010 Altima I got from Hertz back on the East Coast was a better automobile in every way besides fit and finish and looks. But since it's your wife's runabout and those are probably the most important criteria, perhaps you will be happy despite the fact that the Audi blows the doors off the Merc in terms of style.

In summary, I think you chose by far the worst car. I fail to see how anyone can justify the expense of the Merc considering how bland of a car it is to drive. If you drove, for example, a 2010 Camry 2.5 SE back to back with the Merc the Camry would emerge as the more exciting and involving car. With all of the major features of the Mercedes, good looks, both do 0-60 in the 7s range, more comfortable ride than the Merc with better steering feel, and much better fuel economy. At about half the cost..

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
username79;3012913 said:
I If you choose a C300 over a 3 series you should check to make sure your testicles were not removed in your sleep. QUOTE]

Way to make your point... Ignored the rest since I don't really care about proving myself to anyone.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
akatsuki;3015067 said:
Originally Posted by username79
I If you choose a C300 over a 3 series you should check to make sure your testicles were not removed in your sleep. QUOTE]

Way to make your point... Ignored the rest since I don't really care about proving myself to anyone.

I had a C300 loaner for an extended period and loved it. The car was terrific. Enjoy yours.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a lot of seat time in the C300 and it's a POS. The 3-series is just THAT much better.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
If you do any sporty driving at all, you'll wish you've gone with the 3 series......

All though it might ride rougher then the MB, due to having a sportier shock setup.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
I think the BMW looks better, and drives better..... But its up to what you like for style, and how it drives. Good luck... MB C300 2009 HD video review
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. BMW 3 series 2009 Review:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't forget that Lexus now comes with a 'fiery death' option.

s.car

Reaction score
Why the 328xi specifically? Is it the awd that's so attractive? Is the E60 5 series too big? If you want something sporty..you'll be disappointed with a 328xi, imho.
smile.gif

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by s.car
Why the 328xi specifically?

Is it the awd that's so attractive?

Is the E60 5 series too big? If you want something sporty..you'll be disappointed with a 328xi, imho.
smile.gif

5 series is way too big. I have zero interest in a car that size.

Basically the Merc is winning because it is on the luxury side of the sport spectrum without being too floaty like the IS or just unresponsive and disconnected like the G. The ride in the 3 is a bit harsh, the steering is definitely better, and the exterior styling is meh.

AWD is mostly because we want to go up to Tahoe in the winter and we desperately want to leave San Francisco, so we might end up back in New England...

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5 series is way too big. I have zero interest in a car that size.

Basically the Merc is winning because it is on the luxury side of the sport spectrum without being too floaty like the IS or just unresponsive and disconnected like the G. The ride in the 3 is a bit harsh, the steering is definitely better, and the exterior styling is meh.

AWD is mostly because we want to go up to Tahoe in the winter and we desperately want to leave San Francisco, so we might end up back in New England...

Please don't let the Bimmer fanboys here dissuade you. YOU took the test drive and YOU know what car you liked best.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
akatsuki;3015067 said:
Originally Posted by username79
I If you choose a C300 over a 3 series you should check to make sure your testicles were not removed in your sleep. QUOTE] Way to make your point... Ignored the rest since I don't really care about proving myself to anyone.
Then why are you spending $40K on a car no better than a Camry? You obviously have something to prove as the car has no benefits besides the badge over lesser marquees. I argue that a Nissan Altima has better road feel and manners. Also, the C300 has a harsher ride than the three series. The C300 is *the* car for poseurs. As the entry level Mercedes it has none of the benefits of the better models and all the drawbacks.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
username79;3017984 said:

Then why are you spending $40K on a car no better than a Camry? You obviously have something to prove as the car has no benefits besides the badge over lesser marquees. I argue that a Nissan Altima has better road feel and manners.

Also, the C300 has a harsher ride than the three series.

The C300 is *the* car for poseurs. As the entry level Mercedes it has none of the benefits of the better models and all the drawbacks.

Seriously dude, why so hostile? You really need to chill out a bit with the name calling. That or someone will probably tell your mom - I feel like I am on Xbox with a 10 year old.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads