• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Tailor.com review - my experience

imwithtuxedo

Reaction score
I wash mine in warm water and put in the dryer for about 10 minutes on medium heat before pulling them out and ironing and haven't noticed any significant shrinkage.

coltboy75

Reaction score
I have three Modern Tailor shirts, 2 herringbone and 1 twill. They are of different ply's and thread counts. I have not seen any shrinkage among the three. They each have been laundered at least four times. I did have a MOP button break after the first washing on one of the shirts. I e-mailed a picture to Modern Tailor only to advocate thicker MOP buttons. They said they have bought the buttons and they will be available by the first week in March. They also gave me a $10credit towards another purchase (I didn't ask for the credit, but I'll take it).

bmf895

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coltboy75
I have three Modern Tailor shirts, 2 herringbone and 1 twill. They are of different ply's and thread counts. I have not seen any shrinkage among the three. They each have been laundered at least four times. I did have a MOP button break after the first washing on one of the shirts. I e-mailed a picture to Modern Tailor only to advocate thicker MOP buttons. They said they have bought the buttons and they will be available by the first week in March. They also gave me a $10credit towards another purchase (I didn't ask for the credit, but I'll take it).

If true, this is great news. However, I'll believe it when I see it. They were supposed to be available the first of February.

viator

Reaction score
I just live chatted with Modern Tailor. They said they use preshrunk fabrics and that they follow your shirt measurements exactly. However, they said if you like, you can leave a note to allow for shrinkage.

That said, what have people had the best luck with? Leave a note or not?

ThisFlyGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by viator
I just live chatted with Modern Tailor. They said they use preshrunk fabrics and that they follow your shirt measurements exactly. However, they said if you like, you can leave a note to allow for shrinkage.

That said, what have people had the best luck with? Leave a note or not?

i had emailed them about shrinkage and they replied, "For the shrinkage and tolerance, we follow international standards for this. It is usually less than 3% of the fabric or about +/-0.5inch to +/-1inch."

i had also emailed them about a voucher since this would be my first order and i missed their winter one- customer service gave me a $20 off voucher for my first order......

they've been very helpful so far and as soon as i get my measurements in, i will be placing my first order.........i plan to use the expedited production ($5 extra) and expedited shipping ($8 extra) so that my time from ordering to receiving should be about 8 days- from what they told me- compared to 21 days normal time.....anybody else use the expedited production and shipping?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThisFlyGuy
i had emailed them about shrinkage and they replied, "For the shrinkage and tolerance, we follow international standards for this. It is usually less than 3% of the fabric or about +/-0.5inch to +/-1inch."

i had also emailed them about a voucher since this would be my first order and i missed their winter one- customer service gave me a $20 off voucher for my first order......

they've been very helpful so far and as soon as i get my measurements in, i will be placing my first order.........i plan to use the expedited production ($5 extra) and expedited shipping ($8 extra) so that my time from ordering to receiving should be about 8 days- from what they told me- compared to 21 days normal time.....anybody else use the expedited production and shipping?

I've found order to delivery time to be less than 21 days... I don't mind a bit of a wait.

imwithtuxedo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
I've found order to delivery time to be less than 21 days... I don't mind a bit of a wait.

I've gotten shirts as quick as 10 days with the most being 18 days on multiple orders. I live in the midwest.

jobro

Reaction score
Ive had shirts delivered to Perth within 5 working days (over a working day) to about 8 working days. Any delays longer than that period were from them 'showcasing' the shirt but shipping time still fell within the bracket.

ThisFlyGuy

Reaction score
Hm, ok seems that I won't need to do the expedited process then. Saves me some money
laugh.gif

I'm going to place my order next week, so we'll see how that goes
bigstar[1].gif

Anybody place orders just for the suit pants? Are the measurements right on? How do you feel about the pants material and cut?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first two orders took 5-6 working days in total. The last order was over the Chinese New Year, so it takes a while (3 weeks), but still ok with me.

perpetua

Reaction score
Anyone ordered pants from ModernTailor? I'm pretty happy with the price/quality ratio of their shirts (only took me two to get the fit just right), and the price is right on their trousers. Should I give 'em a try?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by perpetua
Anyone ordered pants from ModernTailor? I'm pretty happy with the price/quality ratio of their shirts (only took me two to get the fit just right), and the price is right on their trousers. Should I give 'em a try?

Their fabric selection for trousers is quite limited, that's the only thing deters me from ordering.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure what a custom fit on trousers is going to do for me that an OTR pair will not. There are enough options in OTR pants that I can find a manufacturer in my price range that makes a decent pair that fits me "good enough" after minor alterations.

That said, MT is cheap enough that I would have been willing to give them a shot if not for the complete lack of wool options.

ThisFlyGuy

Reaction score

you should give them a try and let us know how it goes.

i plan to after i receive my shirt (and see how it fits/ checkout fabric quality)

ordered it on 3/7 and got a shipping confirmation on 3/11, so it should arrive soon.......

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads