• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Squier Tele and MicroCube.
bigstar[1].gif
bigstar[1].gif
bigstar[1].gif
bigstar[1].gif

guitarpkr76

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
^ Tell a noob what all those peddles do. The tuner is the only apparent thing to me.

The one to the right is a Volume pedal. The 2 bottom pedals are delays/echo. The 2 top pedals are overdrives. The little white pedal is a tap tempo for my DD-20 delay. And of course the tuner. The Timmy and the Space echo are gone now.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
interesting, I don't see volume pedals like that any more.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by guitarpkr76
The one to the right is a Volume pedal. The 2 bottom pedals are delays/echo. The 2 top pedals are overdrives. The little white pedal is a tap tempo for my DD-20 delay. And of course the tuner. The Timmy and the Space echo are gone now.

Ah, thanks.

So a question to the relative experts here. If a noob buys a Vox Valvetrix, do you really need stomp boxes or will the Vox pedal that lets you switch around tones be enough?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
it's personal preference, but I never use the built in FX on the Vox. I prefer to set a standard amp tone, usually decently clean, and then use pedals to alter the sound.

But to be fair, I don't use very many pedals or effects. Boss Turbo distortion (not made any more), Big Muff (a classic fuzz), Keeley compressor whenever I jam with a group, and an Ibanez WH-10 Wah (one of the best wahs ever made, but made no longer). I have used the Vox for a chorus effect, it was nice. Some reverb is nice too.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Been watching youtubes on the Vox. I think I'll figure it all out the day before I retire.
laugh.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I should probably do that one day. The amp presets have effects on, but I'm not sure why. I always click the bypass button and either enjoy the unadultered preset or simply select the preset to get the tone I'm looking for.

And usually that tone is "80's British" (Marshall) but with the gain way down for that beefy clean tone that I love.

Oh, and I haven't messed with treble/bass/mid, etc for years. they're all somewhere in the middle, I don't get it when people obsess with these things.

guitarpkr76

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
interesting, I don't see volume pedals like that any more.

It's an Ernie Ball VP jr. They make a wah now that looks the same, but it's black.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
and an Ibanez WH-10 Wah (one of the best wahs ever made, but made no longer).

So did I say I'm a little out of date with this ****? I am. Very exciting, it's not unusual to see originals going for $300-400.

dinted voice

Reaction score
I am looking for a small amp to use at home, maybe at church/small settings. Any recommendations? I was looking at AC4TV and was hoping to stay in that price range. Not looking for anything too loud or too "dirty." Would like a nicer clean tone and I am partial to tubes. Thanks for any help you can give!

The guitar will be whatever my uncle doesn't mind lending me until I decide to buy one.

heavy D

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dinted voice
I am looking for a small amp to use at home, maybe at church/small settings. Any recommendations? I was looking at AC4TV and was hoping to stay in that price range. Not looking for anything too loud or too "dirty." Would like a nicer clean tone and I am partial to tubes. Thanks for any help you can give!

The guitar will be whatever my uncle doesn't mind lending me until I decide to buy one.

I like the Fender Pro Jr (although not a lot of headroom) a lot, and it can be had cheap. If that's not loud/clean enough I think the Blues Jr is ok (better than the Hot Rod stuff).

Originally Posted by Piobaire
Ah, thanks.

So a question to the relative experts here. If a noob buys a Vox Valvetrix, do you really need stomp boxes or will the Vox pedal that lets you switch around tones be enough?

Depends what you're trying to do. This whole thing is about tone. Being that you're new, your ear won't be as discerning. Best way to explain it- the fewer links in a chain the more organic the sound. All things being equal an amp with a single tone control will sound and react better than an amp with a Treble, Middle and Bass tonestack. It will feel more dynamic to the player, as additions have to be made to the circuit to account for the extra controls.

At the same time, many situations require an amp with more control than a single tone knob. So you have amps with multiple tone contols, cut controls, presence, bright switches, mid boosts, etc. This is all to change the EQ. Then you have things like master volumes and gain controls. Back in the day, to get a distorted sound out of a tube amp you would simply turn it up till it distorted, but people wanted that distorted sound at a lower volume, so the gain/master control was added. So in a modern amp we have multiple controls for the tone shaping, and additional controls to dial in how much overdrive we need.

Then you have effects, some of them (like reverb and tremolo) are built in on some amps, some are not (like delay, phase, flange, etc). What pedals do are help you achieve things that your amp won't do stock. Some of these are effects (if your amp doesn't have reverb you can use a reverb pedal), and some of these are to try and change the inherent character of the sound. You can think of them as advanced EQ. The majority of the pedals on the market are overdrive/distortion pedals. They're good for say, trying to get a Marshall sound out of your Fender. But the deeper you get (into the boutique realm) the more specific they get- trying to get your Deluxe Reverb to sound like a JTM-45. Or a tweed Deluxe. Or a Trainwrek Express. Or like a Deluxe Reverb, just turned up more than you can do at the gig/home/studio.

What was the question? Oh yeah, will you need pedals with a Valvetronix. Consider everything I just told you, then consider that the Valvetronix is an amp that models all of the above. Think about how many links in the chain are in the processing of that thing. So the answer is, no if you're happy with the stock tones of the Vox. Yes if you want an effect it doesn't have (such as an envelope filter or octave fuzz). And if you're not happy with the stock tones of the Vox, yes you can try and add some pedals, but at some point it's better to simply get a real amp and start from scratch. Not that I'm against modelers, I've owned and used them, but if you're getting really specific and trying to nail a sound, then you need to go with the real thing. I liken it to CGI in movies- it's close and getting closer (and might fool a lot of people), but it's simply not there yet.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heavy D
but at some point it's better to simply get a real amp and start from scratch.

this is true. It's what I and most others end up doing. But for now, I think the Vox will do a fine job for what you're looking for. In due time.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pistolero
Where are the bass players?

Originally Posted by Sherlockian
A Strat or Tele through a Bassman = guitar perfection.

smile.gif

guitarsu.jpg

fenders.jpg

57 P-bass (reissue)
67 Tele (original)
59 Bassman (reissue)

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But to be fair, I don't use very many pedals or effects. Boss Turbo distortion (not made any more), Big Muff (a classic fuzz), Keeley compressor whenever I jam with a group, and an Ibanez WH-10 Wah (one of the best wahs ever made, but made no longer). I have used the Vox for a chorus effect, it was nice. Some reverb is nice too.

Can you explain what exactly a compressor does? I've never used one, so I'm curious.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by origenesprit
Can you explain what exactly a compressor does? I've never used one, so I'm curious.
smooths out the guitar through the amp. The big highs get toned down, the big lows get a little clarity. Similar to an EQ. The end result will be a fuller and more balanced tone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads