• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I sold these a little while back, but thought they might be of some archival interest in this thread.

Faconnable suede wingtips by Alden

img0737xn.jpg

img0734.jpg

img0739st.jpg

img0744k.jpg

img0742s.jpg

img0741.jpg

dunkin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
so, I really like the way #8 looks when new, the burgundy color, and would be kind of sad if it ages into a brown, b/c that would look more like other brown shoes I have. anyone else feel the same?

One way to avoid them turning "brown" is to use #8 or burgundy shoe polish when you shine them. In the past when i have gotten a shoe shine, the person has tried to use a brown shoe polish on my #8s. Now I make sure they have a burgundy color polish or i go somewhere else. I guess i could shine them my self as well.
plain.gif

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
so, I really like the way #8 looks when new, the burgundy color, and would be kind of sad if it ages into a brown, b/c that would look more like other brown shoes I have. anyone else feel the same?
Use Allen-Edmonds Burgundy Shell Cordovan Care Cream on them. I am not sure if it is as dark as the Alden Shell when new but it is supposed to work better with shell than other shoe creams. Also use black wax on them every once in a while instead of the cordovan colored wax. I personally would use it every time until I see it starting to do something I do not want it to do.

Cream has more dye.

IamCargo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dunkin
I love Aldens but they come with the worst laces, especially the flat laces. I've had to change the laces on 3 pairs of my Aldens in the last 6 months. and its not even the speed lacing parts that are breaking them.

+1
frown.gif
especially with the speed lacing
luckily i changed 1 pair only in 1 year

IamCargo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
Use Allen-Edmonds Burgundy Shell Cordovan Care Cream on them. I am not sure if it is as dark as the Alden Shell when new but it is supposed to work better with shell than other shoe creams. Also use black wax on them every once in a while instead of the cordovan colored wax. I personally would use it every time until I see it starting to do something I do not want it to do.

Cream has more dye.

then any comments on the Alden #8 wax ??
got 1 but not yet used....

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IamCargo
then any comments on the Alden #8 wax ??
got 1 but not yet used....

I use Alden wax. I do not have the #8 wax but I see nothing wrong with it. I would use black every once in a while because it seems to darken the corners and creases and add some dimension to the shoe. You have to try it to see.

It is just that shoe cream and shoe wax are different. Shoe cream has more dye and will keep the shoes darker.
smile.gif

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I use Alden wax. I do not have the #8 wax but I see nothing wrong with it. I would use black every once in a while because it seems to darken the corners and creases and add some dimension to the shoe. You have to try it to see.

It is just that shoe cream and shoe wax are different. Shoe cream has more dye and will keep the shoes darker.
smile.gif

+1

I actually use both, the AE cream first on scuffs, the toe and the quarters, then a bit of Alden #8 wax all over. I only polish them a few times a year, the rest of the time they just get a brisk brushing after every couple of wears.

Storing them away from direct sunlight is also key to preventing fading, but no matter what #8 will never look like a regular brown shoe.

IamCargo

Reaction score

smile.gif

Thanks.

I also have the burgendy cream which used to restore the color from scuff. Will consider the wax in black for the "dimension"
worship.gif

mg428

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dunkin
I love Aldens but they come with the worst laces, especially the flat laces. I've had to change the laces on 3 pairs of my Aldens in the last 6 months. and its not even the speed lacing parts that are breaking them.

Could you please elaborate? Do they look old and needs to be replaced in a short time, or are they they so flimsy that they sever into two pieces? BTW, are these the waxed flat laces?

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The laces on my dress shoes just split in random places.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

smile.gif

thanks! is it ever "too late" to try to restore the burgundy color? say you bought a pair of old stock that had changed to a browner color, could you restore to a more red color via polishing?

mechanical pencil

Reaction score
Alden's recrafting service will restore the color.....

Hey, is there a current Sherman Brothers discount code?

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mechanical pencil
Alden's recrafting service will restore the color.....
+1

Just try the AE cordovan shoe cream every time you shine your shoes. It should darken them to a point. You may be surprised at the results you get by just this one simple step.

dunkin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mg428
Could you please elaborate? Do they look old and needs to be replaced in a short time, or are they they so flimsy that they sever into two pieces? BTW, are these the waxed flat laces?

All three of my laces were on different shoes and split in different places. Two of the laces (both on Indy's, one normal pair and a #8 pair with the waxed laces) showed evidence that they were going to sever eventually with fraying and minor rips, generally by the speed lock teeth, so I guess thats to be somewhat expected. The third pair, which split the other day, were on my black cordovan long wing boots and the lace broke in between the second and third lace hole from the bottom. it was pretty strange, I picked them up to put them on and the lace was broken, almost like someone cut them but they had been sitting in my closet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads