• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First go at a suit in a long time. Help me critique what I got.

aspproff

Reaction score
Recently picked up this suit, no tailoring done yet, tags still on. It's for the obligatory weddings, and for interviews/shadowing/touring professional schools. Not for work. I'm trying to determine if it fits me properly, and what lessons to draw. The goods are attached to the post.

Ignore the shirt & shoes. How is the fit of the suit? Pants will obviously be hemmed. The side pockets of the jacket seem at an odd angle to me. Should they be parallel to the ground?

For scale, I'm 5'10" 160lb, 40R.

Appreciate the feedback, I'm ready to learn.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First thing which you can fix immediately is your posture. Stand up straight with your shoulders back and it will make a world of difference. You'll appear taller and more confident and will make it easier to critique the jacket as we can see its true fit.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pockets are meant to be that way - hacking pockets is the term.

Your pants should be pulled up higher, IMO. You look like MC Hammer with the pants that low.

tcnjbanker123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
You pants should be pulled up higher, IMO. You look like MC Hammer with the pants that low.

Ha agreed, it does look on the big side, the way you are wearing it plus the hacking pockets make it look a bit dumpy...

aspproff

Reaction score
Thanks for the fast feedback. Regarding the size-- I know that shirt has sleeves that are too long, which may contribute to the "oversized look", but I think a 38R jacket usually has sleeves that are too short. Is that what they make 38L for?

I tend to wear all pants low on my waist, and it feels strange to have them creeping up, and looks like my grandpa. I noticed it seemed too baggy in the crotch. I don't suppose there is such a thing as low-rise trousers, but can a tailor take in some of that baggage?

Also the pants are a 34W, which blew me away because I've never worn >32. The 32 couldnt close by at least an inch. I thought I was getting fat and apparently the suit is too big. It's actually a "slim" line.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aspproff
Thanks for the fast feedback. Regarding the size-- I know that shirt has sleeves that are too long, which may contribute to the "oversized look", but I think a 38R jacket usually has sleeves that are too short. Is that what they make 38L for?

I tend to wear all pants low on my waist, and it feels strange to have them creeping up, and looks like my grandpa. I noticed it seemed too baggy in the crotch. I don't suppose there is such a thing as low-rise trousers, but can a tailor take in some of that baggage?

Also the pants are a 34W, which blew me away because I've never worn >32. The 32 couldnt close by at least an inch. I thought I was getting fat and apparently the suit is too big.

A slimmer fitting suit would look much better, IMO.

yirayira

Reaction score
I tend to wear all pants low on my waist, and it feels strange to have them creeping up, and looks like my grandpa.
Do not do this, or it will look like you are having a trouser malfunction.

aspproff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yirayira
Do not do this, or it will look like you are having a trouser malfunction.

The proportions look strange to me if I jack my pants up; my torso looks short. I don't know if some of the MC Hammer effect is because the trousers are way too long and need to be hemmed. As I said, a 34 is usually quite large for me.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit is not too big or too long. You just need to pull your pants up, get them hemmed and the rest of the suit tailored and it will look good. If you get a smaller size, you may run into divots and pulls and torquing (long story). Fuller fitting RTW is more forgiving, and this does not look bad.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The proportions look strange to me if I jack my pants up; my torso looks short. I don't know if some of the MC Hammer effect is because the trousers are way too long and need to be hemmed. As I said, a 34 is usually quite large for me.

Pull your pants up. Your nuts should shiver on the crotch seam.

Sartrolliast

Reaction score
You want a fit approaching this, if you can afford it. It's called "drape":

DSC_0232.jpg

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
The pockets are meant to be that way - hacking pockets is the term. You pants should be pulled up higher, IMO. You look like MC Hammer with the pants that low.
+another Your sleeves are a tad shorter than I would like, your showing a lot of cuff. The jacket might be a little short too, but I wouldn't worry about that. Those are all personal preference, I doubt anyone would care/notice in the real world. And it looks very baggy. You may be a candidate for MTM suits. Took another look, looks like the shoulders might be too big too. Size down one size and retake the pictures. Without the weird poses.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartrolliast
You want a fit approaching this, if you can afford it. It's called "drape":

DSC_0232.jpg

What part of this fit should he be approaching exactly?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads